facebook
Forum Stats
102710 Members
61 Forums
858880 Topics
11267116 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11301740 - 12/24/15 11:47 AM Lewisville Lake Dam concerns.
Sac-a-lait man Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Apparently, for quite sometime, Lewisville Lake's dam has been a big concern. My issue is that little has been done other than just inspections and meetings. The said stated issues have been going on for years and have been kept low on radar from the public.

I'm appalled that local and state officials have not acted more responsible. Apparently if the dam breaks loose a lot of lives and property would be affected.

Very discouraging that a lot of time and money have been wasted, but no change in situation.

Maybe I have heard just bad news regarding this situation, does any have any good news regarding this problem?

Thump! Set! Reel! Ice Chest! Fry! Belly smile

#11301924 - 12/24/15 01:33 PM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: Sac-a-lait man]
shut-up-and-fish Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Coppell Tx.

Here is an article from a neighbor of mine that attended the last meeting with the city of Dallas, Carrollton and Coppell officials. He was a concerned resident and showed up and they let him walk and here the issues 1st hand. They walked the face of the Dam as well.

I attended the US Army Corps of Engineers press conference today, even though I'm no journalist -- just a Coppell homeowner. The link below is a good summary of the information provided. My preeminent concern since the Saturday publication of the DMN article was the talk of a 65 ft wave coming at us at 35 mph. When you stand on top of the dam and imagine that apocalyptic image, you start to feel pretty silly. The USACE confirmed that in the very unlikely event of a breech, there would be ample time to evacuate -- no tsunami. The dam is a very long and imposing structure; it isn't going to instantly disappear. I asked the Colonel point blank, if someone drove a boat to the face of the dam and exploded a Timothy McVeigh type device, would we be safe. We would be. (I'm not sure if the dam will leak in this scenario. I just wanted to clarify that we'd all be alive. We will be.)
Our Coppell Fire Department had 3 or 4 members in attendance to assist USACE in delivering their message to the public. For those with concerns, you are likely to get good answers from our fire department. Also, USACE has regular public meetings, and when you meet these people, you discover they are very dedicated, very competent public servants.
I attended the meeting to evaluate whether my family needed to begin considering to move. We're staying put. We do have flood insurance, though -- not because the dam might breech, but because rains can come and top the spillway. When water goes over the spillway, that's not a controlled release. There's no valve to slow the flow. The water is simply going to flow down the Trinity.

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._48076064151649[/img]

It's all coming together and we have you covered @ Shut-Up-And-Fish LLC
for all your Humminbird, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs.
We do Installs!!! 972 737 8161

#11302730 - 12/25/15 01:13 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: Sac-a-lait man]
obsessive Online   content
Angler

Loc: Irving, Tx
Thanks for the info

#11302773 - 12/25/15 06:02 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: Sac-a-lait man]
Gamblinman Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
USACE also told us NOLA would be safe too...look how that turned out.

#11302866 - 12/25/15 07:41 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: obsessive]
donothin Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Belton Lake, Moffat
Thanks David for forwarding the information. I wonder what their long term strategy is for repairing the dam?

#11303085 - 12/25/15 10:21 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: Sac-a-lait man]
Davedave Online   content
Bigfoot Seeker

Loc: Grapevine, TX
David, I would wear a PFD at all times if I was you, or at least some floaties.

#11304093 - 12/26/15 07:56 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: shut-up-and-fish]
Sac-a-lait man Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Here is an article from a neighbor of mine that attended the last meeting with the city of Dallas, Carrollton and Coppell officials. He was a concerned resident and showed up and they let him walk and here the issues 1st hand. They walked the face of the Dam as well.

I attended the US Army Corps of Engineers press conference today, even though I'm no journalist -- just a Coppell homeowner. The link below is a good summary of the information provided. My preeminent concern since the Saturday publication of the DMN article was the talk of a 65 ft wave coming at us at 35 mph. When you stand on top of the dam and imagine that apocalyptic image, you start to feel pretty silly. The USACE confirmed that in the very unlikely event of a breech, there would be ample time to evacuate -- no tsunami. The dam is a very long and imposing structure; it isn't going to instantly disappear. I asked the Colonel point blank, if someone drove a boat to the face of the dam and exploded a Timothy McVeigh type device, would we be safe. We would be. (I'm not sure if the dam will leak in this scenario. I just wanted to clarify that we'd all be alive. We will be.)
Our Coppell Fire Department had 3 or 4 members in attendance to assist USACE in delivering their message to the public. For those with concerns, you are likely to get good answers from our fire department. Also, USACE has regular public meetings, and when you meet these people, you discover they are very dedicated, very competent public servants.
I attended the meeting to evaluate whether my family needed to begin considering to move. We're staying put. We do have flood insurance, though -- not because the dam might breech, but because rains can come and top the spillway. When water goes over the spillway, that's not a controlled release. There's no valve to slow the flow. The water is simply going to flow down the Trinity.

[img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._48076064151649[/img]

shut-up-and-fish, thank you very much for following up with some information. I certainly hope they are giving it the proper attention. My guard is still up regarding this matter though.

Belated Merry Christmas to all and certainly a happy and blessed New Year to all as well!

Thump! Set! Reel! Ice Chest! Fry! Belly smile

#11304379 - 12/26/15 11:03 AM Re: Lewisville Lake Dam concerns. [Re: Sac-a-lait man]
Bud B Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Gun Barrel City, Tx
I've read some pretty scary articles on this. The dam isn't likely to breech just sitting there today. It will breech when one of these floods is happening. That means there will already be water everywhere, then this big wave would get added to it. One article said that if it breeched in those circumstances, it would cause more property damage than Katrina did.

It's alarming how slowly things have been moving on this. They've known for years that the dam is past its estimated useful life. I guess they figured we would be in drought forever and there was no hurry to do anything. Now we keep having floods, and they're just now doing the talking and planning they should have done years ago. I would not feel comfortable if I lived in the flood plane below Lewisville.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide