Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,816
Posts13,935,011
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. #11293614 12/20/15 06:43 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
So I'm extremely new at building rods, on my third one now. The first two yielded expected results, learned a few things while building each one, and the third is better but I have one recurring issue.

The finish coat (Pro Kote medium build) keeps "bulbing" (lack of a better term) on the smaller guides. It seems the finish all wants to run to the middle of the wrap and settle there. This results in a bulb of finish as opposed to an even coat along the length of the wrap. As I said, it seems worse on the smaller guides, but I'm having the issue on all wraps to some degree. I've tried several thin coats, and tried applying what I discovered was way too much at once. I haven't seen any particular way that's better than another at eliminating this problem.

I was thinking I might need to get some high build and try that. But wanted to ask first because I suspect it might be more of a technique issue than a component issue. Any thoughts/advice are appreciated.

And to the Mods; Why no rod building sub-section on the TFF? I'd bet there are enough people here building rods to justify such a section?

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11293714 12/20/15 07:58 PM
P
Po Boy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
I am by no means fully qualified to answer your question but I have built several rods and had the same problem. Even though I thought that I wasn't applying too much epoxy I was and it is easier to get too much on the smaller guides. My first coat now looks like I don't have enough and I am always tempted to apply more. If I stick with the very thin first coat and let it stay on the dryer over night before applying a second coat, I don't seem to have the problem. You mentioned bubbling but I assume you are talking about football shaped epoxy on the guide wrappings.
If you are having problems with bubbles in the epoxy I have found that after I mix the epoxy I pour it out of the cup on to a sheet of aluminum foil and let it spread and watch the bubbles dissipate from the epoxy before applying to the rod.
Now if you are having problems with lumpy finish on long wraps, I don't have the answer for that as I continue to have that problem. If you have found the solution for that one, I could use your help.

Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11293729 12/20/15 08:11 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Bubbling is not an issue, I have been using the bottom of a soda can to keep the finish in while applying, and the bubbling is not really a problem. "Bulbing" is the problem; the football shaped finished product you mention.

I have tried a few different methods, but I am only on my third rod so far, so I haven't done enough of them to have tried too many techniques. I have been using just enough finish to soak into the threads on the first coat, then usually waiting a few hours before applying the second coat.

No doubt, I have yet to build a perfect rod in any aspect, but the finish coat seems to be the area that is giving me the most fits. It's just a bit frustrating to spend all the time to make everything else as good as I can then come back to find the finish coat has all ran into one spot of the wrap and gives the bulb, or football, effect.

Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11296110 12/21/15 10:29 PM
W
Wafflejaw Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I wish they would do a rod building section here...oh well.

The finish coat can make or break the build imo...What you're describing is too much finish.
I see this was posted on 2cool as well..Ill echo what was said over there about applying the finish and letting the rod sit still at the 0 axis (reel seat facing up) letting the wet epoxy sag....Wick off your excess and flip it 180 and repeat.
A few turns each side will take care of it...Check for any touch ups and dry as normal.

I use two coats...My first coat is a ''wet out'' coat and then a thin finishing coat...If I feel I need a third coat, I don't hesitate to do so.
Btw...To you and anyone reading this...The Custom Rod Builders Guild will be doing a 3-day event in March in Grapevine,TX
I will be teaching along with many other builders from across the US...Friday is a build a custom rod workshop and Sat/Sun will be seminars going over several different topics and techniques.
More info, here.

http://www.rodguild.com/

Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11296209 12/21/15 11:19 PM
N
Nathan "Bull" Montgomery Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
That rod building event sounds pretty cool! Ive always been very interested in this. Thanks for this post!

Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11296415 12/22/15 12:57 AM
03svtsnakevert Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I generally apply my epoxy on the dryer and it doesn't bubble

Re: Noob at rod building, looking for advice from the TFF gurus. [Re: psycho0819] #11296846 12/22/15 03:43 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Thanks fellas. And yeah, the event sounds cool, I will try to attend.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide