Cypress springs open? #11289200 12/18/15 01:52 AM
B
Brenton Watkins Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Is cypress springs open? Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11289236 12/18/15 02:02 AM
S
Smash-Tech Custom Baits Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
All ramps are closed.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11289847 12/18/15 02:24 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
wow, i cant remember them ever closing all the ramps.

John Miller
Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11289864 12/18/15 02:30 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
It's two feet above normal and the ramps are closed? That seems odd. The lakeside homeowners must have had it closed so boat wakes don't wash into their docks.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Razorback] #11290070 12/18/15 03:57 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Razorback
It's two feet above normal and the ramps are closed? That seems odd. The lakeside homeowners must have had it closed so boat wakes don't wash into their docks.

That's an ignorant comment. I am a home owner and that has NOTHING to do with it. The lake is just now down to only being 2' high....it was close to 4. Most homes, including mine had water higher than ever seen before. There are numerous boathouses underwater, boats and jet skis were floating around the lake, boats stuck to the roofs of their boat house, etc. It's was absolutely the best thing to do in closing those ramps for safety, not to mention I would imagine that most ramps were barely visible and would have been fairly difficult to launch from. My guess would be that with no more rain they will get them open again in the next couple of weeks.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Chris G] #11290107 12/18/15 04:12 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Chris G

That's an ignorant comment. I am a home owner and that has NOTHING to do with it. The lake is just now down to only being 2' high....it was close to 4. Most homes, including mine had water higher than ever seen before. There are numerous boathouses underwater, boats and jet skis were floating around the lake, boats stuck to the roofs of their boat house, etc. It's was absolutely the best thing to do in closing those ramps for safety, not to mention I would imagine that most ramps were barely visible and would have been fairly difficult to launch from. My guess would be that with no more rain they will get them open again in the next couple of weeks.

It's not an ignorant statement. Most of what you just described is exactly what I said. A few months ago Lake Tyler's ramps were closed when the lake was less than 2 feet high. The "official" reason was that floating debris made the lake unsafe to navigate. We went out there and there was no debris. The real reason was so boat wakes wouldn't wash over the decks of docks.

There's a difference between 4 feet high and 2 feet. Two feet high is a small number for a typical lake to close its ramps. Pines is farther down the same river system and is close to 9 feet high. Are all the ramps there closed? If not, what's the difference?

Mostly the number of lakeside homes and docks...

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11290302 12/18/15 05:26 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I can only remember one other time that water was over most reclaiming walls, it was probably 10-15 years ago. we had our barge up over a wall and the water dropped back down. Had to employ the help of a few guys to push it off the wall. Reports were multiple boats and etc floating out on the main lake, I trust they closed it for a good reason. I doubt it stays closed much longer if it is only 2' high now

John Miller
Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Razorback] #11290309 12/18/15 05:31 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: Chris G

It's not an ignorant statement. Most of what you just described is exactly what I said. A few months ago Lake Tyler's ramps were closed when the lake was less than 2 feet high. The "official" reason was that floating debris made the lake unsafe to navigate. We went out there and there was no debris. The real reason was so boat wakes wouldn't wash over the decks of docks.

There's a difference between 4 feet high and 2 feet. Two feet high is a small number for a typical lake to close its ramps. Pines is farther down the same river system and is close to 9 feet high. Are all the ramps there closed? If not, what's the difference?

Mostly the number of lakeside homes and docks...

So you don't give a carp if it's closed to keep hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of property from being damaged? It's either an ignorant statement or a selfish statement.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: 9094] #11290388 12/18/15 06:03 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: 9094

So you don't give a carp if it's closed to keep hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of property from being damaged? It's either an ignorant statement or a selfish statement.

Would you mind pointing out in my post where I said it is either a good or a bad idea? I simply stated a fact. I didn't comment on whether the decision was valid, wise, or apolitical.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11290439 12/18/15 06:37 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Razorback - didn't mean to attack you. I just always hear comments about our lake homeowners being X or Y and that's not always the case. Yes, some of them only care about their wake boat and jet skis and their "rights" to the water without grass but not everyone. The reality is closing these ramps was a must. Cypress is a small lake with TONS of boat houses/docks that were in really bad shape with the high water. I've seen pictures with big ski boats wedged thru the roofs of their boat house. I even saw a picture of a house near Walleye Park where the water had reach the actual house it self. The water was more than 100 feet into my yard and my dock and patio were completely under water, not to mention my sprinkler pump and all electrical associated with it. My neighbor had 2 jet skis that were not his float into his yard. There's most likely going to end up being a lot of money in damages to many places out there which most like will have ZERO insurance coverage due to no one ever keeping flood insurance. So you can pick 1 of the probably 15 reasons they chose to close the ramps, but they are all good ones. Fishing can resume in a couple of weeks when they open things back up. Until then, I hear Welsh is ON FIRE and so is the line at the boat ramp. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11290451 12/18/15 06:48 PM
S
Smash-Tech Custom Baits Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Lake was closed a almost 4' high and will be opened again at 2' high is what I was told. It is currently at 2.17 so I would imagine it will be open by Monday if no more rain. At 4' high like was stated there were boats jammed against ceilings in boat houses. Would not have been good to have boat wakes pounding them.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11291090 12/19/15 12:00 AM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Safety has to be the main reason. Docks can go out into the water 40 feet. My dock, as well as most all others, was 2 feet under water and sticking way out into the lake but you could not see it. I flip a lot of docks when fishing, as most do on Cypress, and there would be a lot of bass rigs running up on docks. Forget the damage to the docks, it is the damage to the bass boats and fishermen that you have to be concerned about. Good call to close them until it is safer, probably only a week.

Re: Cypress springs open? [Re: Brenton Watkins] #11306576 12/27/15 10:25 PM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Here we go again! Water is already above all docks and retaining walls, will be higher than last time by morning.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide