texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 120,999
TexDawg 119,782
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,322
Mark Perry 72,484
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,558
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Tying Green (for the environment) #11288176 12/17/15 06:33 PM
K
kaboboom Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
K
Folks,

I am starting to become more conscious of building flies I'm not ashamed to be left in a fish, or a stream bed. Synthetic materials have been the rage of fly tying for the last several decades, and for good reasons with respect to catching fish. Nymphing is now more about getting the fly down fast, and Lead has been the material of choice for this until recently. While Tungsten can replaced Lead split-shot, this creates another "body" on the line, and that promotes snags and tangles. Sure, I can cast with split-shot, but I prefer to weight flies at the vice.

So I'd like to suggest/request from this forum to consider the question of whether some tying materials should be excluded for environmental reasons in the same regard that some people resist converting to fluorocarbon because of its inability to degrade over time.

Flies themselves are such small items. It may seem silly to impose such restrictions based on their tiny mass alone with so many other accepted offenses to our environment outside of our control. But maybe there is a principle to be upheld here, and maybe toxicity and/or biodegradability should become a criteria for the fly tying industry and its practitioners. We have always been a resourceful lot...should we not be concerned about the natural resources we visit to apply ourselves in this endeavor as well? Food for thought, at least for me.

Last edited by kaboboom; 12/17/15 06:35 PM.
Re: Tying Green (for the environment) [Re: kaboboom] #11289114 12/18/15 01:17 AM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
If all flies, lures and poppers were tied with non degradable material and we had ten times the number of fly fishers on the water and all losing flies consistently maybe there would be a case for concern. Besides that there is far too many restrictions on our liberty already. The Green thing in my opinion is very much a political football that I refrain from playing with.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Tying Green (for the environment) [Re: Linecaster] #11289899 12/18/15 02:45 PM
K
kaboboom Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
K
Thanks for the response though I'm not yet agreeing that things I construct and put into the environment are political in nature. It's too direct a thing. We make things that are supposed to look like food so trying to minimize their negative impact seems reasonable on a personal level. So for me going forward, no more fluoro leaders and no lead wire in my flies. I'll make larger nymphs with multiple ceramic beads if they can tolerate the bulk, and use tungsten split-shot where they can't. Not much sacrifice, and certainly as you point out, not much benefit either.

Re: Tying Green (for the environment) [Re: kaboboom] #11297656 12/22/15 05:54 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
What about not buying products from China? They do more harm than all of us combined in a lifetime. So much fly stuff is made over there in the name of saving money.

Watch Racing Extinction on Discovery Channel. It will blow your mind!!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Tying Green (for the environment) [Re: kaboboom] #11302233 12/24/15 10:38 PM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I had written this big, long diatribe that devolved into the crash of society into circa 1900 civilization. Yeah, that was too much.
We are fighting an uphill battle against the idiots and fools. They are destroying us faster than we can save us.

I keep my vehicles in good working order, and don't go out of my way to pollute the environment. Any pollutants in my fly tying kit are of no consequence by comparison.

Green. Arrggghhh. I hate what that word has grown to mean. You may not have intended it mean anything but a concern for the environment, but activists, the mainstream media, and the advertising media have made it a political "holier-than-thou" expression of superiority.

It's all relative. I'm not going to worry about my flies as long as I can pick up a full bag of trash every time I go to the creek.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide