Forums59
Topics1,037,811
Posts13,934,937
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? #11287765 12/17/15 03:40 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
I'm curious what everyone thinks about buying a higher quality jig for a little more money? Would you pay .50 more per jig for the quality?

Gamakatsu Hook:

You can CLEARLY see the quality of this hook vs any other (I've compare to Eagle Claw, too).

Sickle Hook:

I don't think these hooks are in the same ball game - not even the same league. I don't know if the difference is visible on the computer but it's plain as day in real life and more-so in the feel (sharpness).

I'm currently building a website for my jigs and am considering carrying a higher quality hook (Gama, Owner, Trokar, etc..) for serious fishermen. I'd make less than .05 per jig extra on these and that's only because I have to be so cautious tying them; they're VERY sharp and the tying is a bit slower. Before I make an investment and try to get a high quality jig in bulk order, I'm curious if tournament crappiemen or any other serious fishermen would pay .50 more per jig for the quality hooks? After shipping, I'm paying .48 for the hook alone (not counting head or pouring), so it's truly not about the money to me... I'm just trying to provide the highest quality hook available on the market.

All that being said, what's your thoughts on paying more for higher quality hooks?

For the record, I'll be using top-end hooks for my personal jigs from now on...

Almost forgot: THANK YOU Machinist (Johnny) for teaching me about pouring! It was great to be able to sit and talk with you, buddy - I've really missed the great conversation and fellowship. These Gama's came out GGRREEAATT and I can't thank you enough!!!!

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287769 12/17/15 03:44 PM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I wouldn't, only becuase crappie dont have hard mouths to begin with. Also, since i loose several jigs to brush. Cheap hooks bend and you can get them back... stronger hooks wont bend and just break off.

Formerly known as Scooter79

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287796 12/17/15 03:50 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I would and I do. Coincidentally, I also charge more for my jigs than most anyone else because they are built to last longer.

I am really liking that jig you have pictured on the bottom, by the way.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: 79scooter] #11287809 12/17/15 03:54 PM
R
REDGUN Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: 79scooter
Also, since i loose several jigs to brush. Cheap hooks bend and you can get them back... stronger hooks wont bend and just break off.

+1

I sometimes pour the soft bronze sickle hook, for fishing brush, just so I can get my jig back. The black nickle hook is about as "stout" as I want to use for crappie.

I do use the Gama hooks on my bass bait heads though, they really are top notch!! thumb

Last edited by REDGUN; 12/17/15 04:10 PM.
Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287825 12/17/15 04:02 PM
J
Jig Man Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
J
Purdy much use sickle in black chrome. They are hard to beat, but it sounds like they went up since the last time I made a purchase. Glad I got plenty....

Life is Good..<><

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Laner] #11287826 12/17/15 04:03 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
I wouldn't, only becuase crappie dont have hard mouths to begin with. Also, since i loose several jigs to brush. Cheap hooks bend and you can get them back... stronger hooks wont bend and just break off.

Life changer for you:

I'd guesstimate I have a 70%-90% retrieval rate on all hung jigs. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I lost a jig I wasn't being stupid with (fishing in too thick of brush, etc.)

If I can manage a wholesale deal on egg weights and clip swivels, I'm going to give these out to my customers on their first order from the website. If any bait manufacturer wants to steal my idea and manufacture these Jig Getters (that's what I call the weight and swivel), I'd be tickled pink.

Originally Posted By: Laner
I would and I do. Coincidentally, I also charge more for my jigs than most anyone else because they are built to last longer.

Thanks! If you ever get around to fishing again (low blow, I know banana ) just let me know the ones you wanna try and I'll get a package to ya. grin

I found a picture of your White Hot jig the other day... (over 100 fish on that one jig)... can't debate the quality. My reasoning for using the higher quality hooks is not only the longevity of the hook itself, but also the HOOK UP RATIO! I miss FAR LESS fish on these heads.

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287843 12/17/15 04:14 PM
S
SlabbedSilly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Great stuff as always Jerry!

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287845 12/17/15 04:15 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Here ya go, Lane:

Coincidence here, that was a Gamakatsu hook on this bait, too. It was the little packages of pre-painted jig heads, from WalMart, that came with Gamakatsu hooks. They had a green pattern and orange pattern to begin with...

I wish like crazy my wife hadn't thrown this bait away (accidentally). I think I could have cut it down 2-3 more times and busted 200-300 fish with it (I know how crazy it sounds...just tellin' the truth).

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287953 12/17/15 05:05 PM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
If you are fishing from the bank like many of us who walk creeks for papermouths this time of year(been outstanding, btw), that swivel/weight combo won't work too well(been there, tried that), so no I would not pay more for a jig. The cheaper ones, when pulled parallel (from the bank) rather than vertically (from a boat),tend to straighten out and you lose a lot less, and even if it breaks off, you are only out a few cents rather than a few dollars.

And, as most of you know, I DON'T use anything but hollow body tubes, and I have posted many times why, so long story short, no I wouldn't.

Rudy

Last edited by Lovfldx; 12/17/15 05:07 PM.
Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11287974 12/17/15 05:12 PM
F
fe1 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Personally No I would not pay more as I pour my own heads.They will all be lost or trashed eventually.
Make it an option on your website.

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11288148 12/17/15 06:18 PM
L
larry mays Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
People will only pay more when its a better jig and since all jig hooks are about the same I would say no.

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11290605 12/18/15 08:06 PM
J
Jonathan_Zambrano Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Jerry T.

Life changer for you:

I'd guesstimate I have a 70%-90% retrieval rate on all hung jigs. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I lost a jig I wasn't being stupid with (fishing in too thick of brush, etc.)

If I can manage a wholesale deal on egg weights and clip swivels, I'm going to give these out to my customers on their first order from the website. If any bait manufacturer wants to steal my idea and manufacture these Jig Getters (that's what I call the weight and swivel), I'd be tickled pink.

Originally Posted By: Laner

Thanks! If you ever get around to fishing again (low blow, I know banana ) just let me know the ones you wanna try and I'll get a package to ya. grin

I found a picture of your White Hot jig the other day... (over 100 fish on that one jig)... can't debate the quality. My reasoning for using the higher quality hooks is not only the longevity of the hook itself, but also the HOOK UP RATIO! I miss FAR LESS fish on these heads.

That egg weight and swivel is GENIUS!!! I am going to have to try that! Thanks Jerry!

Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11290792 12/18/15 09:29 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I would. I agree with fe1 make it an option.

Those that want the better hook can get it and those that don't can go with the cheaper ones.

Nice looking jigs!

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: larry mays] #11291166 12/19/15 12:46 AM
S
Sandwich Maker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: larry mays
People will only pay more when its a better jig and since all jig hooks are about the same I would say no.

That's what Jerry is saying....these hooks are not the same. The Gamakatsu and Owner hooks are in a whole different class. To the point of being nearly dangerous to work with. I have poured heads with both and they will stick a frog hair. I have given some away and used some and liked them. Cost sends me back to the black chrome sickles. They come out of the package sharp and stay that way. Like the Gamakatsu and Owner they don't straighten out easily, but a sharp hook is a good hook.

Member Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff
Re: Would you pay more for higher quality jigs/jigheads? [Re: Jerry T.] #11291508 12/19/15 04:03 AM
B
Bassin BobbyBIG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I would have no problem paying just $0.50 extra for a quality jig with a Gamakatsu. I have tried a little bit of everything on the market at one time or another and will have to say in my opinion it is hard to beat a HAND-TIED jig. There are times when you can throw anything on a school and they will thump it, but being able to catch fish when the bite is tough, or when every bite counts is when you learn to appreciate quality. If you are considering tying a few with Gama's I will put an order in and be happy to be one of the first to get my hands on a few.

Way I see it is if having a quality hook on a hand-tied jig catches me JUST one more SLAB, then I would say it is worth it!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide