facebook
Forum Stats
102723 Members
61 Forums
859120 Topics
11270517 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11283881 - 12/15/15 12:23 PM Replacing a keel guard (help please)
steelcurtain Offline
Outdoorsman

Ok so when i bought my boat the hard shell of the keel guard looks like it had been worn out and removed. The problem i face with replacing it is not the cushion and adhesive from the old one is still attached and banged up. I tried to remove it but its pretty much being a pain. Any suggestion on how to make my life a little bit easier or is elbow grease basically it. Just want to make sure my new keel guard has the best surface to stick to.

#11283946 - 12/15/15 12:53 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
bogey Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: plano
I had to do that a few years ago. It was a PITA, but it does come off. I don't remember what (exactly) that I used, but it was recommended by Keel guard, so I used it. I remember being under the boat cussing that thing to come off and it was on there good. I kept at it and it finally came off, but it took several days of me going at it for an hour and then I had to rest. I know this isn't the best news, but it will all come off. Hopefully someone will have a better answer and it will be easy, but don't hold your breath.

Best of luck to ya,
bogey

Thinking about new seats? Come check out mine before you buy. www.bassboatseats.com

#11284001 - 12/15/15 01:23 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
Mulkey Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: North Garland
a heat gun might help get it off a little easer.

www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
www.topbaits.com
www.halofishing.com
www.swaggertackle.com
Mobius Marine Led's

#11284006 - 12/15/15 01:32 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
steelcurtain Offline
Outdoorsman

ok thank you. Just didnt want to start using chemicals to get the adhesive off. Could potentially get myself in a big bind

#11284201 - 12/15/15 02:46 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: bogey]
Dianabass Offline
Green Horn

Loc: East Texas
Originally Posted By: steelcurtain
Ok so when i bought my boat the hard shell of the keel guard looks like it had been worn out and removed. The problem i face with replacing it is not the cushion and adhesive from the old one is still attached and banged up. I tried to remove it but its pretty much being a pain. Any suggestion on how to make my life a little bit easier or is elbow grease basically it. Just want to make sure my new keel guard has the best surface to stick to.

Originally Posted By: bogey
I had to do that a few years ago. It was a PITA, but it does come off. I don't remember what (exactly) that I used, but it was recommended by Keel guard, so I used it. I remember being under the boat cussing that thing to come off and it was on there good. I kept at it and it finally came off, but it took several days of me going at it for an hour and then I had to rest. I know this isn't the best news, but it will all come off. Hopefully someone will have a better answer and it will be easy, but don't hold your breath.

Best of luck to ya,
bogey

Were they hambys light or original hambys? Reason why I am asking is I'm about to get one installed on my boat and am having a hard time deciding which to get. Thanks

#11285475 - 12/16/15 09:01 AM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
steelcurtain Offline
Outdoorsman

Not real sure what brand was on my boat. It was already missing when i bought it. Hamby is the one im going with so ill let you know how it goes.

#11286402 - 12/16/15 03:55 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
John175 ® Online   happy
Super Freak

Loc: Computer
After my second one I took it to Tommy at Rockwall Marine and got a Hamby's Beaching bumper. I did not want to go through the effort of getting all the adhesive off again.

#11311917 - 12/30/15 10:40 AM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
bayoubob Offline
Angler

I have replaced one before. I used goo gone, heat gun, scraper, small tractor and rope. I pulled enough of the old keel guard off to get a rope attached to it. then took a small tractor and pulled on it real slowly. This will pull the old keel guard off. It will leave the adhesive on the boat. I then sprayed the adhesive with goo gone and let it set. after setting a while I used the scraper ever so gently to remove the adhesive. it was a tedious project but I did get it replaced. If you have a keel guard that is bad get with the company. They will send you a new one at no charge.

Crappie the true White meat!!!!!

#11318222 - 01/02/16 12:39 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
Jedi-Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler

Buy a trailer from Carey and Sons...load your boat a couple of times and your keel guard will be off.

#11322067 - 01/04/16 12:41 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: bayoubob]
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Rockwall
Originally Posted By: bayoubob
I have replaced one before. I used goo gone, heat gun, scraper, small tractor and rope. I pulled enough of the old keel guard off to get a rope attached to it. then took a small tractor and pulled on it real slowly. This will pull the old keel guard off. It will leave the adhesive on the boat. I then sprayed the adhesive with goo gone and let it set. after setting a while I used the scraper ever so gently to remove the adhesive. it was a tedious project but I did get it replaced. If you have a keel guard that is bad get with the company. They will send you a new one at no charge.
not true for early Keelshields

#11324969 - 01/05/16 04:24 PM Re: Replacing a keel guard (help please) [Re: steelcurtain]
Tommy Yetts Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Rockwall, TX USA
If you have a choice definitely go with the original Hambys. If put on properly you will never have to replace it! We are installing 6' black Hambys for $500.00 plus tax and supplies. If we have to remove old keel guard or adhesive it is more.

www.rockwallmarine.com

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide