Print Thread
Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? #11281314 12/14/15 03:37 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
well I emailed the head potato and asked. here is what I sent him..

hellol,
can you tell me what the specific reason for ramp closings are? It almost seems as if the lake access is being held hostage in lieu of extra funding to finance the lake clean up. what would it hurt to open the boat ramps? is there debris covering the ramps and roads? what gives? If that is the problem, I can get a crew over there and get it cleared out in a jiffy, with volunteer s.
Even though that lake is a corps of engineers controlled lake, the people of this country really own it, so for us to be denied access because of political [censored],it is just that [censored].

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11281320 12/14/15 03:39 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
and the reply was.....

Mccartney, Randall SWF <Randall.R.Mccartney@usace.army.mil>
Today at 8:03 AM

To

S Marks

Message body
The ramps are closed do to dry out time for the asphalt. The industry standard is 21 days from when the water recedes. The parks, boat ramps ect are not closed for any other reasons except due to flooding. If you would like to volunteer please contact the Waco Lake office at 254-756-5359. Thanks for you concerns.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11281340 12/14/15 03:49 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
guess thats his story and hes sticking to it..

They dont close highways when they get wet for 21 days after it rains. They dont scrub off the 1/2 inch of slime that causes people to bust thier [censored] at the waters level of the ramp. They dont fill potholes that you could break an ankle in on the ramps.. They dont properly maintain the floating docks , but they sure seem to care about how dry the cement is when they are when requesting additional millions of dollars .

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11281496 12/14/15 05:07 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Gotta love those COE bureaucratic rules. The west side of Hwy 31 between Trinidad and Malakoff has been completely submerged 3 times in the last 3 months from back waters from flooding on the Trinity River. As soon as the water recedes off the asphalt, the west side is reopened to all traffic including 18 wheelers. And guess what, not a single ripple in the asphalt even with water within 6" of the roadway on both sides of the road. I traveled it once with only one west lane open with water over one lane. Must be the 8th wonder of the world. sarcastic

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11281599 12/14/15 05:53 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I do fuss at the COE on occasion but in this case they may be right. Lake Waco is an area of blackland soil that shrinks and swells much more than the average soil, so wetting and drying does play havoc with any pavement, especially asphalt.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11281673 12/14/15 06:30 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Heck, I can recall launching at stillhouse when the entire ramp was under water. You had to launch by educated guess and azmuth reckoning. I was tied to the bridge and could stand and touch the top of the cement crossbeam it was so high. The corps wouldnt even send anybody to clear the drift wood off the pasrking lot. They just let things fester. I wonder what all of the people in the COE building actually do.. They damned sure wont lift a twig . If everything is contracted out, why are they even there?
The courtesy dock at Leona was in such bad shape for so long, and they wouldnt fix it.
What caused that dock to get fixed, was a letter to the General of the COE. ., I explained how my wife had slipped, becuase the footings were loose and missing, and rusty screw heads sticking up, one of which stuck my wife in her butt, talk abt ruin an outing. . There are people , usually civilian contractors responsible to maintain those docks.. why they dont, I dont know.
The ft worth district gets ALOT of money every year to maintain the parks. we need to start demanding that they maintain them.
The ramps and docks are supposed to be inspected regularly by the contractor who won the bid to maintain them and maintained as needed. Anyone who launched out of Leona knows how long that dock was in hazzardous condition. . When the investigation was done, the contractor claimed that he wasnt even the one who had installed the planks that had broken and rotted away.. (guess his monthly inspection missed that)..,,

Last edited by leanin post; 12/14/15 06:55 PM.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: Ken Gaby] #11283083 12/15/15 11:22 AM
W
Waco Kid Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Gotta love those COE bureaucratic rules. The west side of Hwy 31 between Trinidad and Malakoff has been completely submerged 3 times in the last 3 months from back waters from flooding on the Trinity River. As soon as the water recedes off the asphalt, the west side is reopened to all traffic including 18 wheelers. And guess what, not a single ripple in the asphalt even with water within 6" of the roadway on both sides of the road. I traveled it once with only one west lane open with water over one lane. Must be the 8th wonder of the world. sarcastic
i pretty much agree with you. But just to be the devils advocate it seems to me that the highways would have a much better road base under the asphalt than what the parking lots at the parks have. Just saying!

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: Waco Kid] #11283140 12/15/15 12:49 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: waco kid
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
i pretty much agree with you. But just to be the devils advocate it seems to me that the highways would have a much better road base under the asphalt than what the parking lots at the parks have. Just saying!

+1 ^ for what The Kid said.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11283609 12/15/15 04:09 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Probably do have a better road base on the highways. But evidently the road base at Leona, Rogers, Westcliff and
Westcliff II parks on Lake Belton are good enough that they haven't needed repaving in the past 25 years despite several floods. And despite a few potholes that the boaters repaired with rocks.
Bottom line: Belton and Stillhouse reservoirs have received in excess of $10 mil for flood damage in the past 20 years according to press releases from the local Congressman. I've yet to see a parking lot or turn around get resurfaced. Just saying. I'm off the soap

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11283694 12/15/15 04:50 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Lake Belton boat ramps are not on the black clay that Lake Waco ramps are and perhaps that is the reason, but I seem to remember that they did not open Cedar Ridge this summer for the same reason.

But I agree that little of the revenue that you mentioned has gone to improving boat ramps. I would suppose most of it went for the repair to the dam that took place over a couple of years. Some has been spent on picnic shelters and bathrooms that were damaged in the flood. There was so much opportunity that was missed while the lake was low to improve the courtesy docks so they could be used under low water conditions. They always use lack of funds as the reason for being unable to do it.

The unfortunate situation with Pier 36 Marina that lingered for more than 15 years was mostly the result of the COE not enforcing their regulations which they are quick to pass but slow to enforce. For instance, the mandated that submersible pumps could not be used lakeside and all that were there would have to be removed. But to date, only those that honor the regs at substantial costs to themselves are the only ones that have complied with the rules. It should be required that if you pass regs, you should enforce them or they should go away. It is totally unfair the way they are doing it.

Whose fault is it? Hard to tell with the bureaucracy whether it is local, district or higher.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11285745 12/16/15 04:54 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I agree 100 percent.. the corps wants all of the power but none of the responsibility.
TYRANTS..Then when things get rotten, they use Bell County sheriffs office to go do thier dirty work. Just like when all of the COE parks were shut down to the federal budget debacle, and sent the gate gaurds home. Heck some parks are unmanned year round, and they parked deputies in front of the gates, blocking access for the sole purpose of oppressing the citizens.. . When the Govt abandoned the parks, the land should have become public lands, abandoned by the govt.
Does anyone see a pattern here
SHUT IT DOWN UNTIL WE GET WHAT WE WANT, AND DENY THE CITIZENS USE. The citizens will moan and groan, the money will be appropriated, then its all peaches and cream again.
Dont fix nothing, because next year, we will do it again!!!

Last edited by leanin post; 12/16/15 04:59 PM.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11300011 12/23/15 07:03 PM
R
rbadley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
So are the ramps open at Waco yet? In town and looking to go fishing.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11300067 12/23/15 07:26 PM
W
Waco Kid Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
They're open now

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11300145 12/23/15 08:04 PM
R
rbadley Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Thanks. Gonna give it a try in the morning.

Re: Why are the ramps still closed on my Mistress waco? [Re: leanin post] #11300702 12/24/15 01:17 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I went today and didnt have much luck. one white bass on the old dam, one 3 pound cat in the middle bosque, one small bass in the south. I didnt go up the North bosque. water has alot of particulate matter and still quite muddy. LOTTA scattered bait and fish at the mouth of the middle bosque and back a ways. I guess when the shad get tired of the terns and gulls hammering them, they will start going into the rivers. I went all the way past the second bridge in the south Bosque, and the only thing back there was a grouchy old cormorant. water looked better but not much life back there.
The crappie seem to be relating to very small structure, but I couldnt get em biting.
Glad to get out and be on the lake again anyway.
the few bites I did get were on thump buddies orange and chartruese.

Last edited by leanin post; 12/24/15 01:23 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide