Print Thread
Martin Creek help #11272417 12/09/15 07:49 PM
bighawgdawg Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I havent been in a year or so can anyone help me with some info,
are the stacks runnin,is the water still up, whats the water temp
at the discharge, your favorite spot and what to catch em on?
LOL just kiddin,..........no I'm not.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11272448 12/09/15 08:03 PM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I havnt been this year but I was told by a guy that works there that this winter they were going to be cutting back generating electricity and there would only be one stack running til peak electricity season starts back up. Water won't be as warm if that holds true

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11272649 12/09/15 09:53 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
They are running two units which provides a good amount of current. The hot water side is running in the mid 70's and the cold water side is about 10 degrees cooler. The lake is 100% full and the water clarity is good considering all the rain lately...I'd say about 18 inches or so on the dam end and a little less on the hot water end. I mostly structure fish but I see a lot of folks beating the banks which is probably producing right now. A senko is a good all around plastic for this lake until you can zone in on something they like better. If you can make it during the week, you'll have the lake mostly to yourself. If you fish weekends then just know that tournaments will be starting soon. Good Luck and Good Fishin.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11273431 12/10/15 04:12 AM
bighawgdawg Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
THANKS GUYS BIG HELP

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11273468 12/10/15 04:25 AM
J
John-Mark Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Went yesterday and today... It's tough right now and everyone I've talked to out there is having a hard time
Yesterday white caps today glass
Yesterday 2 stacks going today no stacks going
A week ago cold side was 64 and hot side was 68
Today water is almost 70 on cold side...
So the fish are very confused
Everyone out there was beating the banks with spinners and senkos catching few dinks here and there
I spent both days graphing more than fishing and only graphed one single ball of bait over a point with about 3 bass under them
Every single point I graphed primary and secondary was a deserted wasteland nothing
This is my personal non professional opinion but these bass are not pre spawn like in the past and with water temps 68-75 and dropping 10 degrees then rising week to week add in current one day no current the next
These bass are still in summer pattern and deeeeep
Tight to deep structure... Good luck because me and about 5 buddies of mine can't find any decent fish over about 1.5 lbs

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11273584 12/10/15 09:25 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I was there Monday, tough day for me. Had a couple of fish in the three pound range throw my bait when they came out of the water. Fish were so far back up in the cattails that it was almost like vertical jigging in two feet of water. The few bites I did get were hammered, all on 5 inch hollow bellies, nothing on spinner bait. Never got bit around the edges and nothing in the buck brush.

It didn't help that I got to lake around 3 a.m. only to find road was closed and couldn't put in at small bridge on warm water side. As I'm considering what to do, a pickup drives around road closed sign and crosses bridge. As bad as I wanted to do the same, I resisted, then drove all the way around lake to other side to come in from put in side of bridge and road was blocked there as well. Started to go to Pinkston instead but turned around 15 minutes later and drove to Martin Creek state park ramp. Fog rolled in and I didn't put in until around 9 a.m. Paddled all the way to warm water side and had to leave early for hour and a half paddle back. bang Off the water at dark.

Only 2 stacks running and they didn't start until later in the morning. Lots of bait deep in 16 feet of water but I didn't spend much time with them as I was anxious to not catch fish my way. roflmao

Air temp 33 early a.m., water temp 60 near state park.

All my bites were as I slowly lifted bait after letting it sit a while.. think I could have caught some good fish if I'd had more patience that day.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: lconn4] #11273677 12/10/15 12:52 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
A lot of memories with that thread and especially pic of the powerplant itself. When I worked there collecting fish it was the world's largest coal fired power plant, may still be.

I fished that lake at night almost monthly with TP&WD Striped Bass legend, Ed Bonn, for more then three years in the early 80's. Electrofished that is, with the then only private such rig in operation in Texas. There was a time I knew that lake as well as I know my way around Houston at 4:45, am or pm, now.

With two boats, one fishing the other following and picking up fish we missed, collecting fish for TP&WD (as a private contractor) as part of a study after a large fish kill there and subsequent restocking. The mantra each night was always the same..."Don't Look into the light!" Or Don't look over at the plant as then you won't be able to see anything else until your eyes adjusted. Now I think of it, we got the same mantra at night fishing in Chocolate Bayou.. where I now live. Just this plant smells like antifreeze, not coal smoke.

I've crossed that lake on some foggy nights in the days long before GPS and dead reckoned all of us into almost out of gas oblivion at least once. Hit a lot of logs along the way.

As a general rule I learned a few things about the fish, especially the bass, shad and sunfish we had to collect, in the lake.

Considering we could go and fish anywhere we wanted, even in restricted areas...not sure what those may be nowadays.

In winter when it was cold, get as close to the hot water discharge as possible. That meant for the three areas we collected in, each end of the horseshoe and the middle, we'd fish right along the edges of our boundary lines on the "hot" side. In hot summer, just the opposite, close to the intake as possible. When the fish were "confused" a lot of them would be in the middle. Big as that lake is, it sure seemed like the fish, especialy bass and shad, moved from one side to the other and back again twice a year.

There for awhile I pretty much would have rather took a beating than have to drive from Crockett to Henderson and work all night on that lake. I would leave early and fish like a fool with rod and reel until Ed's crew arrived from North Texas. My goal to have as many fish already collected as possible before electrofishing began, so as to be able to leave earlier for the long drive home. On the way I'd stop and trade off a couple of carp and buffalo we'd caught for coffee and sweet rolls with a clerk in a convenience store by the traffic circle.

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: Fishbreeder] #11273684 12/10/15 01:00 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
A lot of memories with that thread and especially pic of the powerplant itself. When I worked there collecting fish it was the world's largest coal fired power plant, may still be.

I fished that lake at night almost monthly with TP&WD Striped Bass legend, Ed Bonn, for more then three years in the early 80's. Electrofished that is, with the then only private such rig in operation in Texas. There was a time I knew that lake as well as I know my way around Houston at 4:45, am or pm, now.

With two boats, one fishing the other following and picking up fish we missed, collecting fish for TP&WD (as a private contractor) as part of a study after a large fish kill there and subsequent restocking. The mantra each night was always the same..."Don't Look into the light!" Or Don't look over at the plant as then you won't be able to see anything else until your eyes adjusted. Now I think of it, we got the same mantra at night fishing in Chocolate Bayou.. where I now live. Just this plant smells like antifreeze, not coal smoke.

I've crossed that lake on some foggy nights in the days long before GPS and dead reckoned all of us into almost out of gas oblivion at least once. Hit a lot of logs along the way.

As a general rule I learned a few things about the fish, especially the bass, shad and sunfish we had to collect, in the lake.

Considering we could go and fish anywhere we wanted, even in restricted areas...not sure what those may be nowadays.

In winter when it was cold, get as close to the hot water discharge as possible. That meant for the three areas we collected in, each end of the horseshoe and the middle, we'd fish right along the edges of our boundary lines on the "hot" side. In hot summer, just the opposite, close to the intake as possible. When the fish were "confused" a lot of them would be in the middle. Big as that lake is, it sure seemed like the fish, especialy bass and shad, moved from one side to the other and back again twice a year.

There for awhile I pretty much would have rather took a beating than have to drive from Crockett to Henderson and work all night on that lake. I would leave early and fish like a fool with rod and reel until Ed's crew arrived from North Texas. My goal to have as many fish already collected as possible before electrofishing began, so as to be able to leave earlier for the long drive home. On the way I'd stop and trade off a couple of carp and buffalo we'd caught for coffee and sweet rolls with a clerk in a convenience store by the traffic circle.

Great stories FB thumb

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Martin Creek help [Re: Frank the Tank] #11275623 12/11/15 05:25 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder

Great stories FB thumb

AND INFORMATION!!! cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11275637 12/11/15 05:38 AM
S
SK1 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Yeah second that,great story and info. I've been on that lake as the fog rolled in at dusk and be in the hot hole when it was so thick you could only see a few feet in front of the boat, and I have gps. That is still one long scary [censored] ride back to the ramp.

Re: Martin Creek help [Re: bighawgdawg] #11275642 12/11/15 05:49 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
A few of pics from last year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide