texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,768
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pitching Technique [Re: Lee in Texas] #11267302 12/07/15 05:29 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Continue to try to learn this 'technique'.... roflmao all I get when backing off the tension control is a backlash !
BIG TIME....have seen others do this...they don't seem to have that problem.....well, at least that I have noticed

God Bless
Lee

Sounds like you have loosened the tension too far, not riding the spool with your thumb or try to cast too far. Be sure that you stop the spool as it touches the water, with your thumb. If you get too much momentum going and everything is loose the spool will continue when the lure is stopped by the water and will backlash. It is all muscle memory and timing.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Pitching Technique [Re: FlaNative] #11267599 12/07/15 07:34 PM
FlaNative Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Outstanding feedback... thank you all for taking time to contribute! Man, this forum pays off time and time again...

- Steve R.

Steve Raulerson
Ranger RT188
Florida Native by Birth, Texan by Choice
[Linked Image]
Re: Pitching Technique [Re: FlaNative] #11267668 12/07/15 08:01 PM
B
Bassalong Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
There's a lot of "individual" stuff that goes on when pitching. I've got a buddy that is good with lighter lures than I can easily handle and sets his reel tension high enough that I couldn't begin to use it. He's bigger and stronger and has more hand strength than I do. He can also run a fuller spool of line than I. To begin to compete with him with the smaller lures I had to go to a lot softer rod than him, set my reel tension lower, and reduce the amount of line on my spool. In general, for me, it helps a lot to run less line on my spool if I'm getting over runs when I'm fishing tight cover and trying to get distance while maintaining a low trajectory. If I'm over hand casting in open water I can get away with more line and increasing the spool tension if necessary. In general, though, too much line is a source of problems for me. Experiment with different reels. I find that some are a lot better to pitch with than others, just way easier to set up for some reason. Normally I'm pitching with 17 or 20 lb line in wood cover and around docks. Another thing that I find that helps some if you are straining for distance on a low flat pitch is to get your shoulder and body into it by lowering your shoulder and twisting your body back on the back cast and recoiling forward on the cast. To get the bait to drop vertically next to the target I either strip line with my thumb lightly on the reel with the rod pointing about level with the water or lift the rod with my thumb lightly feathering the reel several times as needed. I find that the latter helps you detect if something inhales the bait on the drop. I haven't tried the medium heavy 7'4" rods but will this year. Sometimes shorter rods are good in heavier cover. I'm usually using 7 footers.

Re: Pitching Technique [Re: ezbassin] #11267820 12/07/15 08:43 PM
GoArmy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
Originally Posted By: GoArmy
Originally Posted By: FlaCracker
I've been studying pitching techniques online but haven't heard anyone describe how they achieve the required distance. Do they loosen the spool tension when pitching? If not, is it a matter of pitching a heavy enough jig or bait to pull off the required amount of line to ensure there's sufficient slack for the bait to sink straight down? I never seem to get enough line out and the flight of the bait is interrupted when the slack is gone or it sinks in an arc toward me instead of sinking where it hit the water. I can't seem to strip enough line off fast enough after the bait hits the water to allow it to sink 10' straight down, say down the side of a tree. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve R.

What you are describing sounds like FLIPPING. (I never seem to get enough line out and the flight of the bait is interrupted when the slack is gone)There is a difference in Flipping and Pitching, even though some say one for the other. In any case line size and lure weight can be a factor. One thing is to keep your rod tip high after the pitch or flip so the rod itself can add a few feet of straight lure drop as you lower the rod and strip line if needed.

He was not describing flipping. When you flip you do so by letting a length of line out by hand, not with the reel. He was describing pitching, he just hasn't mastered it yet.

I'm aware of the difference. When he said this the flight of the bait is interrupted when the slack is gone is what made me think Flipping. If the water is deeper you still have to let line out (free spool your reel) or peel it out when you Flip.

Proud Father, Sons Served their country [Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image]RHBC
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide