Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
HB Helix review #11199656 11/01/15 09:05 PM
shadboy Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
First want to say thanks to David at Shut up and Fish. Great guy to work with and will answer all your questions.

Helix 7 SI. Was using a 2 year old Lowrance DSI that the tech is probably 4 years old so this is not an apples to apples comparison.

Pro's
SI was as good as promised. Being a crappie guy looking for BP's I can see this making it much easier to find new piles. Very good image. The experts say to upgrade to the HDSI transducer but I am too impatient to wait so used the compact, that comes with system. Will say Doug Vahrenberg's tips say to put SI sensitivity to 10-12. I will say on soft bottom 10'-20' 11 at least and deeper you may need 12-13 otherwise it is a little too dark (for me). I thought the transducer produced very good, easily recognizable images.

Bright, bright screen.

DI. I know they use side pulses to get the DI but out of the box I didn't think they were great. Will try different settings next time to see if I can improve image on DI.

Sonar. Not having sonar on my last one I wasn't sure I would miss it. I really don't miss it that much. Fish ID. Humminbird experts say that it works very good. I did see a few fish in submerged trees and caught one at that depth. Now I fished that tree cause I usualy catch crappie there. Will have to find a new to me pile, see if any Fish ID's show up and see if crappie are at the stated depth. If it works it will markedly improve my catching. Maybe grin

GPS. SO MUCH BETTER than old one. It is very responsive. Did some test and usual was 1 second response. On old one would have to approach waypoint from 20-30 yards away to get good location cause it wouldn't update fast enough. Now as soon as you can turn around you can go right back to way point.

Cons. Come on HB, what is with the sd card slot. 1st the door completely detaches from case. 2nd it is very hard to get card out. I thought about bringing a blank card out and getting screen shots but am afraid I might lose Navionics card or door if not extremely careful. bang

Install is on PA and you can find a thread on Hobie PA forums and I followed that guys steps for making a retractable transducer mount in the transducer pad for PA's. Pretty easy if you are good with dremel. I am not.

I think this will help me on crappie fishing and getting better idea of what is below me. I think either 5 or 7 will work great for yakers. Will update when I get more time on the water with it.

Last edited by shadboy; 11/01/15 09:15 PM.
Re: HB Helix review [Re: shadboy] #11200566 11/02/15 02:19 AM
B
BKT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks for the review.

I've thought about getting a 7 and putting it on the boat and moving the 5 from the boat to the yak.

Re: HB Helix review [Re: shadboy] #11201497 11/02/15 05:25 PM
T
The Black Hammer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
They also have a full line up of 9, 10, and 12 that are supposed to be released for the Holidays...

Re: HB Helix review [Re: shadboy] #11256063 12/01/15 03:59 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: shadboy
First want to say thanks to David at Shut up and Fish. Great guy to work with and will answer all your questions.

Helix 7 SI. Was using a 2 year old Lowrance DSI that the tech is probably 4 years old so this is not an apples to apples comparison.

Pro's
SI was as good as promised. Being a crappie guy looking for BP's I can see this making it much easier to find new piles. Very good image. The experts say to upgrade to the HDSI transducer but I am too impatient to wait so used the compact, that comes with system. Will say Doug Vahrenberg's tips say to put SI sensitivity to 10-12. I will say on soft bottom 10'-20' 11 at least and deeper you may need 12-13 otherwise it is a little too dark (for me). I thought the transducer produced very good, easily recognizable images.

Bright, bright screen.

DI. I know they use side pulses to get the DI but out of the box I didn't think they were great. Will try different settings next time to see if I can improve image on DI.

Sonar. Not having sonar on my last one I wasn't sure I would miss it. I really don't miss it that much. Fish ID. Humminbird experts say that it works very good. I did see a few fish in submerged trees and caught one at that depth. Now I fished that tree cause I usualy catch crappie there. Will have to find a new to me pile, see if any Fish ID's show up and see if crappie are at the stated depth. If it works it will markedly improve my catching. Maybe grin

GPS. SO MUCH BETTER than old one. It is very responsive. Did some test and usual was 1 second response. On old one would have to approach waypoint from 20-30 yards away to get good location cause it wouldn't update fast enough. Now as soon as you can turn around you can go right back to way point.

Cons. Come on HB, what is with the sd card slot. 1st the door completely detaches from case. 2nd it is very hard to get card out. I thought about bringing a blank card out and getting screen shots but am afraid I might lose Navionics card or door if not extremely careful. bang

Install is on PA and you can find a thread on Hobie PA forums and I followed that guys steps for making a retractable transducer mount in the transducer pad for PA's. Pretty easy if you are good with dremel. I am not.

I think this will help me on crappie fishing and getting better idea of what is below me. I think either 5 or 7 will work great for yakers. Will update when I get more time on the water with it.

Great review. It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for your business/support.

Welcome back anytime.

David @ shut-up-and-fish
972 822 9285

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide