facebook
Forum Stats
102726 Members
61 Forums
859211 Topics
11271824 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11255530 - 11/30/15 10:35 PM Differences between European and American anglers?
dcox1911 Offline
Outdoorsman

i was watching river monsters and it hit me that especially British anglers fish wayy different than their American counterparts.
Gear: in America we usually take maybe a 6 to 7 foot rod, a tackle box and maybe a bucket to sit on and possibly a stringer. Some drinks and the polarized glasses
In Europe, especially if you've ever watched the British YouTube channels you'll notice a extra long maybe 8 to sometimes even 10 foot rod. personally I like longer rods for the greater casting distance but sometimes to me it seems a little ridiculous lol then I notice an extra fancy net and a lawn chair, 3 or four boxes for different baits and the entire tackle shop. Fishing is just so fancy in Europe lol

The hook set: in America were always like
"FISH ON! AWW YEAH YOU COMING HOME WITH ME!" Or maybe "WOOHOO HE CRUSHED IT!"
Europeans be like: " ahh there's a fish, he's a little on the stronger side," " I don't think he fancys being hooked hahaha"
I especially noticed this on river monsters when Jeremy wade hooked a gator gar and he's like "ahh there he is" and his guide takes his shirt off like "WOOHOO FISH ON" I felt so embarrassed hahaha!

The landing: Europeans be like: "wow that's a lovely specimen of a fish. Remarkable. Beautiful fish." Then they take a mat out with an internal scale and put the fish on it very carefully. Then release it gently like "wow just lovely gorgeous fish. There she goes. Swimming back to her home...beautiful"
Americans be like : "AWW YEAHH LOOK AT THAT! NOW THATS GOOD EATIN RIGHT THERE. THATS A DOORMAT. THATS A FOOTBALL. THATS A HAWG. HES COMING HOME!!! WHERE THAT THING HAD SOME SHOULDERS ON HIM. ALRIGHT BUDDY YOU GO BACK IN THE WATER AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS THERES MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM!"

Of course I'm being facetious and having fun but did I miss any stereotypes on either side? I like fishing either way and I don't care how it's done if it's with a fancy rod and gear with one leg crossed an tea in your left hand, or a shirt off waiting for your bobber to go down so you can scream at the top of your lungs lmfao

Any other stereotypes? I wanna hear yours

#11255652 - 12/01/15 02:45 AM Re: Differences between European and American anglers? [Re: dcox1911]
Canino Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Mansfield
Yeah those British fishing shows are weird. They spend HOURS chumming a 20 foot stretch of a small stream with rainbow colored maggots hoping some 10 inch dace will come along. Hardly anyone over there owns a boat unless they're running charters out in the ocean. If they need a boat for a lake, they rent a small wooden jon boat with a tiller steer motor.

They used to have the British Fishing Championships or something on the WFN network. The competitors drew numbers to pick their spot and then all sat around the edge of a small pond trying to chum up carp. No boats, no lures, no moving to find productive water, no jumping fish. They had one commentator who was a past winner or something and his accent was so bad I couldn't understand a word he said. What a beating that show was.

Some of the differences have to do with available species. But also a relatively high percentage of Brits consider sport fishing to be barbaric and cruel, and hunting downright criminal.

#11256184 - 12/01/15 11:03 AM Re: Differences between European and American anglers? [Re: dcox1911]
Topwater2 Offline
Pro Angler

Canino

You can still watch that show on Hulu.

#11257311 - 12/01/15 09:33 PM Re: Differences between European and American anglers? [Re: dcox1911]
richg Offline
Angler

Loc: Houston, TX USA & Crossville, ...
I think the Europeans were prohibited from access to any true sport fish. Sporting fish were reserved for Royalty.

I believe that that is why they took up "rough" fish, or carp.

Fishing for carp seems to be a slow, methodical pursuit. Well suited to a quieter, gentler fisherman.

Anyhow, that is my opinion. richg

#11258406 - 12/02/15 02:21 PM Re: Differences between European and American anglers? [Re: dcox1911]
Smithaven Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Hurst, Texas
There is a good article on the subject here.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide