Print Thread
2 more days #11247328 11/27/15 03:02 AM
C
Capt Hoop Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
After a day off due to the weather I had the same 4 guys again. Due to the large amount of trout and bull reds they got Saturday they wanted to target slot reds. This was good because the winds were still high and targeting bulls would have been very difficult. We ran down the river and ducked into a protected marsh. My plan was to find the reds and just play that entire bank.

Our first fish in the boat was a nice 15 inch trout. The guy stated he was not looking for any more of them. He wanted slot reds. I offered to put it back but his buddies pointed to the fish box. We had a slow steady bite and soon found the ice being covered with some very nice fish.

We weeded through a ton of 14 to 15.999 inch redfish. When the bite slowed down I would move a bit and begin again. By the end of the day we had a limit of nice slot reds, some flounder, and well over a dozen each of sheepshead and trout.

I did not take any on the water pictures because the action was steady all day and we had nothing special. We also got a few stingrays and hardhead as well as a croaker that went back.

After the dock shot we discussed the next day. If they could not go for bulls they did not want to stay an extra day. We told them it all depended on how the winds were.

The following day we were greeted with calm conditions and a sunrise that was a sign of the type of day we would have. Beautiful! As we approached the fishing grounds Damon set up camp. I went a lot farther down before I stopped. This would enable us to check out two different places. There were no birds diving, no bait on the surface, and the water was still stirred up a bit from the winds of the last few days. Not looking good. I was ready to call Damon and discuss our next move when we finally get our first fish. I call him and he said he has also got his first on.

I put the power pole down and set up camp right there. As I was taking this picture one of the other guys hooks up. "Game on"

the action was starting. There would be a 10 minute dead time then the reels would start screaming. We had a few doubles throughout the morning also. It was almost like the fish were attracted to my boat.

Something was definitely holding them there. 3 days before this I had a triple with this same group and while I took the picture the other guy hooked up. That is a rare thing and I never expected it to happen again 3 days later but the proof is in the picture.

The guy behind them on the bow is also hooked up fighting a bull red. Damon had the other 3 guys on his yellowfin. That is the black boat behind them and 2 of his crew were also hooked up. Talk about hot action.

They wanted to only fish till around noon so they could get a jump on the ride back to Iowa. We quit at 12:15. We totaled 37 bull reds and one big black drum for the morning. 38 fish like that in the morning made for a good workout for me. One of the bulls was belching out pools of blood in the water as it was still fighting and running to get loose due to being gut hooked. I realized this guy was dead so I iced it and gave it to the fish cleaners at the marina. They were very appreciative.

We have spoiled these guys. There is no better inshore fishing than they had each of the days we rolled. Wish it could always happen like that but we know better.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM

Re: 2 more days [Re: Capt Hoop] #11247818 11/27/15 02:27 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Great report and great results..

Re: 2 more days [Re: Capt Hoop] #11253436 11/30/15 05:23 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid post with solid fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: 2 more days [Re: Capt Hoop] #11262639 12/04/15 09:16 PM
P
Poppin Cork Fred Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I've got me a house boat rented in March in Venice. I can't hardly wait to get there. Awesome report

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide