Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Backing on a reel #11252668 11/29/15 11:36 PM
B
Brandon Farrell Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
What type of line do you use to backing on your reels? cheap mono or braid?

It's an obsession
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11252672 11/29/15 11:39 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Whenever I use backing I use an old spool of some type of mono. I don't use backing on reels that I use for long casts.

I think it was Aaron Martens that likes to use braid as backing on his reels. I have never tried that.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11252673 11/29/15 11:39 PM
BrotherB Offline
Angler
Angler
Cheap mono

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253133 11/30/15 02:38 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
IF YOU USE BRAID ON THE SPOOL IT WILL SLIP UNLESS IT IS INSTALLED VERY TIGHT. When you set the hook the whole spool of line will turn. You can get a hold of the line and turn it with your fingers when the spool is locked. Install the braid very very tight on the spindel to get it to grip. Just saying.

TAKE A PHOTO HOME NOT THE FISH. CATCH AND RELEASE
Set the hook first and ask questions later.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: jafish] #11253146 11/30/15 02:43 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: jafish
IF YOU USE BRAID ON THE SPOOL IT WILL SLIP UNLESS IT IS INSTALLED VERY TIGHT. When you set the hook the whole spool of line will turn. You can get a hold of the line and turn it with your fingers when the spool is locked. Install the braid very very tight on the spindel to get it to grip. Just saying.

I have been backing my reels with braid for a few years and never had this happen.

I spool on the backing then stretch my backing out while attached to a fixed object, then reel the backing in very tightly, then add my main line. I've never had an issue.

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Douglas J] #11253180 11/30/15 03:01 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Doug R.

I have been backing my reels with braid for a few years and never had this happen.

I spool on the backing then stretch my backing out while attached to a fixed object, then reel the backing in very tightly, then add my main line. I've never had an issue.
Sounds like a lot of extra work to simply overcome a bad decision to use braid as a backing. Haha. Just use cheap mono....or better yet, just spool the reel with a full 100 yards of something good.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253229 11/30/15 03:18 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Braid will give you a bit more casting distance as a backing....just put one turn of tape on spool ..... It won't slip anymore

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11253242 11/30/15 03:23 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Sounds like a lot of extra work to simply overcome a bad decision to use braid as a backing. Haha. Just use cheap mono....or better yet, just spool the reel with a full 100 yards of something good.

Nice to have that braid there when needed. Just returned from Falcon. You don't need to respool the whole thing when it's setting there in reserve. Don't always want braid but use it only when needed. More of a where are you fishing today and how. Great versatility thing. There is reason they make braid. If you don't know why I guess you wouldn't need it. Just saying.

Last edited by jafish; 11/30/15 03:30 AM.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Douglas J] #11253265 11/30/15 03:36 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

it's all in perspective and what you feel confident in

success tends to be about 60% preparation

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253267 11/30/15 03:38 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Go on YouTube and search for "Aaron Martins braid backing" he explains why u need to use braid and why backing is smart to use. It's stupid to put on 100yds of line when ur only gonna use half of it before ur spool get low. Once you spoil gets half full your casting distance decreases and your gear ratio slows down. Most my reels except for deep cranking and deep water tecnique reels I used half backing half mainline which is usually floro

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253279 11/30/15 03:45 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Call me old fashioned, or wasteful, whatever. I still spool whatever line I'm using straight to the reel. All knots are weak points where something can and inevitably will go wrong. Fewer knots makes me feel better. And none of the line I use is very expensive, P Line CXX, Power Pro slick braid, and occasionally Big Game. . .I don't mind junking a little of it. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11253287 11/30/15 03:51 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: timwins31
Call me old fashioned, or wasteful, whatever. I still spool whatever line I'm using straight to the reel. All knots are weak points where something can and inevitably will go wrong. Fewer knots makes me feel better. And none of the line I use is very expensive, P Line CXX, Power Pro slick braid, and occasionally Big Game. . .I don't mind junking a little of it. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

It is backing. Doesn't matter how weak the knot is. You should never get to the knot.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11253299 11/30/15 03:58 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Go on YouTube and search for "Aaron Martins braid backing" he explains why u need to use braid and why backing is smart to use. It's stupid to put on 100yds of line when ur only gonna use half of it before ur spool get low. Once you spoil gets half full your casting distance decreases and your gear ratio slows down. Most my reels except for deep cranking and deep water tecnique reels I used half backing half mainline which is usually floro

Then there are those (me) that say using a spool that is heavy and has too much line capacity is stupid. So I use 50 sized spools that are aftermarket and hold less line and cast much better. Greatly increased distance and more accurate. Only downfall is my reels only hold 150' of line. Oh well. I guess I will never know the advantages of adding excess line to a heavy, slow spinning spool, only to crutch it with adding additional knots and line types. And tape... And backlashes. I'd rather spend an extra $100 on a better, much lighter, faster spool and a couple ceramic bearings. A few 1000 yard spools of InvisX will last me about 6 months of hard fishing. Using 18 combos.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253420 11/30/15 05:09 AM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Steez, my brother, you are a hard head and set in your ways! But you alright noidea

Walt Whitman
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253422 11/30/15 05:12 AM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Braid is lighter, that's why some PRO'S say it's their backing of choice, and that's why a reel with braid backing casts farther than a regular guy spool full of mono or fluoro....

Walt Whitman
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253432 11/30/15 05:19 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Cheap mono

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11253476 11/30/15 09:08 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B

Same here. when it gets low enough I rip it all off and juat put on new. have never used backing.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: txmasterpo] #11253524 11/30/15 12:40 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Steez, my brother, you are a hard head and set in your ways! But you alright noidea

Eh. Not hard headed...just having fun. It's raining and cold. I should pace myself, it's gonna be a long few weeks.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253543 11/30/15 01:03 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I use that red cheep mono from Wal-Mart. So when I make a long cast and the red really start to show I know I need to respool.

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253575 11/30/15 01:32 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i started to use backing line and it is wonderful. No waste of expensive fluro and you can spool more reels with the expensive line

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11253588 11/30/15 01:41 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
tie it on the spool, electrical tape it on, 1 wrap holds it, may not be the best solution, but it has worked for me for years on all my reels

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: jafish] #11253617 11/30/15 02:02 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E

The easy way to keep braid from slipping is to attach mono first to the spool, make 3-4 turns then tie on the braid. That small amount of mono is all you need to keep the braid from slipping.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/30/15 02:03 PM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11253691 11/30/15 02:53 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Then there are those (me) that say using a spool that is heavy and has too much line capacity is stupid. So I use 50 sized spools that are aftermarket and hold less line and cast much better. Greatly increased distance and more accurate. Only downfall is my reels only hold 150' of line. Oh well. I guess I will never know the advantages of adding excess line to a heavy, slow spinning spool, only to crutch it with adding additional knots and line types. And tape... And backlashes. I'd rather spend an extra $100 on a better, much lighter, faster spool and a couple ceramic bearings. A few 1000 yard spools of InvisX will last me about 6 months of hard fishing. Using 18 combos.

Hmm? No, a smaller spool shouldn't add distance. Think of a reel spool as a simple lever, that is to say, the radius length created from the top edge of the line spooled up on it . . . down to its rotating center point, is nothing more than the equivalent of a rotating wrench. You have more power with a longer wrench handle than a shorter one. As one pulls off (casts off) line against spool resistance and the spool's diameter (radius)decreases, it creates more relative resistance, not less, on the puller and/or the lure flung as the line plays out. A larger spool is analogous to a longer wrench handle.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254148 11/30/15 05:55 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Hey now steez is a 40 year old future bass master AOY he has way more experience than your physics!! Hahaha some of yall over think stuff. Only reason I back spools is to save money all this tiny details about spool weight, bearings, etc are overkill for us weekend anglers.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254189 11/30/15 06:07 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I used mono backing for years, switched to braid this year.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254231 11/30/15 06:23 PM
P
Possumkingdomtackle Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I back mine with cheap 14lb Cajun red from Walmart, I like quality products and backing simply allows me to use it on more than one reel

Https://www.facebook.com/possumkingdomtackle
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11254264 11/30/15 06:46 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Hey now steez is a 40 year old future bass master AOY he has way more experience than your physics!! Hahaha some of yall over think stuff. Only reason I back spools is to save money all this tiny details about spool weight, bearings, etc are overkill for us weekend anglers.

The physics aren't mine, just inviolable laws we have to work around. They don't bend.

Steez, by the way, may very well get longer casts the way he sets up. But, this might have to do with better "control" over the cast and the line, maybe being more comfortable really swinging it hard and having less wind knots and other worries.

What I do, at least on spinning tackle, is use quite a lot of mono as a backer, just like many do, to take up space. It is never going to get even close to coming off the reel. Then, I top off with more braid than I can cast off the arbor, quite a lot more, and I use a short fluorocarbon leader attached to that. I don't call my braid a backer because it comes off the reel on any casts of distance. So, it is my main line. My backer is way back there taking up space, possibly in rare circumstances, preventing slippage.

By the way, what Aaron Martens is doing is using a very long fluorocarbon "main line" tied to a braid backer on some of his baitcaster set-ups. He never even approaches casting off the braid, so we can call it a true backer. How can we be sure of this? His junction knot of choice: He uses a simple overhand knot at the braid/fluoro junction. If the braid had more than just a tiny touch of resistance on it, the knot would fail easily. After a long cast, he must have plenty of fluoro still wound on the spool protecting that knot.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brad R] #11254356 11/30/15 07:49 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Brad R

Hmm? No, a smaller spool shouldn't add distance. Think of a reel spool as a simple lever, that is to say, the radius length created from the top edge of the line spooled up on it . . . down to its rotating center point, is nothing more than the equivalent of a rotating wrench. You have more power with a longer wrench handle than a shorter one. As one pulls off (casts off) line against spool resistance and the spool's diameter (radius)decreases, it creates more relative resistance, not less, on the puller and/or the lure flung as the line plays out. A larger spool is analogous to a longer wrench handle.

Brad

I didn't say a "smaller" spool. I said a lighter shallower spool. Same overall diameter. Just lighter. Faster. Easier to control. And yes, I do get more distance. And almost never a over run spool. Occasionally it happens when I sling a tore up Senko and the line suddenly is moving way too slow for the speed of the spool.

Also, the only reason I brought up the spool mods I have is some kid said the word stupid. It kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Haha.

"President of a school bass club"

Can't say we had them back then. I had to complete against guys with way more experience. As for he AOY smart [censored] comments. I know I have won enough to buy me a boat this year. And I missed winning one outright by an unfortunate cull clip breaking at weigh in.

And.....umm.... I've been in the money 7 out of 9 tourneys this year. I have 7 top 20's. 6 top 5's and 5 wins.

I think I'm doing ok for not taking bass fishing class at Baylor.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254584 11/30/15 09:55 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Steez, good point. If the spool itself has the same diameter, just shallower accepting less wound line, the effect other than a tiny bit more width owing to line wrapping up, would create less resistance to the lure as it flies off dragging line behind it.

And, I don't know if you rely on brakes or magnets or your thumb, but a lighter set up like yours, after modification, would respond faster . . . so less over-runs.

I have always thought it pretty odd that the reels often hold multiples of what most of us can or would want or need to cast. Maybe that is a hold-over from monofilament days of the past. . . or just to sell more line.

Brad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254603 11/30/15 10:04 PM
U
Undertaker56 Offline
Angler
Angler
U
I just use a 7'6 rod and get some really long cast... Don't use backing..

I'm the last one to let you down!!!

Yes I am a real Undertaker..
I will give up my rod when you pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!!
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254749 11/30/15 11:27 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Dang did I make someone mad

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254753 11/30/15 11:28 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Never said u couldn't hold ur own... I mean claiming to one day be a bassmaster AOY u better be good lol

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11254804 11/30/15 11:58 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Brad R

Brad

I didn't say a "smaller" spool. I said a lighter shallower spool. Same overall diameter. Just lighter. Faster. Easier to control. And yes, I do get more distance. And almost never a over run spool. Occasionally it happens when I sling a tore up Senko and the line suddenly is moving way too slow for the speed of the spool.

Also, the only reason I brought up the spool mods I have is some kid said the word stupid. It kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Haha.

"President of a school bass club"

Can't say we had them back then. I had to complete against guys with way more experience. As for he AOY smart [censored] comments. I know I have won enough to buy me a boat this year. And I missed winning one outright by an unfortunate cull clip breaking at weigh in.

And.....umm.... I've been in the money 7 out of 9 tourneys this year. I have 7 top 20's. 6 top 5's and 5 wins.

I think I'm doing ok for not taking bass fishing class at Baylor.

You want a medal or chest to pin it on?

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254805 11/30/15 11:59 PM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I use braid backing on my 12.73 foot cane pole. I didn't win anything ever but think i my have the longest pole in the club. I like the long pole for hook sets,senitivey and reaching over the compitions boat in narrow coves. de

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254818 12/01/15 12:05 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
No worrys.

As for claiming to be AOY. Not a claim. A goal. I have a saying I use for myself. And it is very true.

If you think you can....you might. If you think you can't...you never will.

I am not claiming I am better than the elite guys. I can say, for a fact, that I have fished side by side with 5 of them this year. And I caught more weight than four of them. From the back of their boats. Fishing where they wanted to go. Am I better? Probably not. But I do take advantage of every single cast, every time during a tournament. I fished as a co angler this year... Why? Because I didn't own a boat. I figured it wasn't me against other guys, or gals. It was me against the lake and the fish. I figured I'd win a boat(again....confident) It was first place at each of the three tourneys. Bold dream? No. High goal? Yes. Did I do it? Well, not exactly. As stated above, a mechanical failure cost me a boat. In my third, ever, Bassmaster tourney. But...my winnings did allow me to pay cash for a boat from a fellow TFFer. And subsequent winnings allowed me to upgrade the boat substatially. So, for my first 9 tourneys and the accomplishments (goals set high, and achieved...sort of) I have made, I'm happy.

I'm not arrogant as most people on this forum perceive me to be. I am confident. Highly confident. In my abilities to catch bass. In any lake, any weather, and any water condition. I study this hobby and practice every day. And I challenge myself to catch a limit every day. Regardless of the situation. It is why I am able to do what I have done. Next year, in my [censored] little Nitro, I have been asked to fish as a "boater" against sponsored pros. I am gonna do it. Next year will be a good barometer for me. It will let me see if my abilities to read a lake, my graphs, and make intelligent decisions to find quality fish are getting better. If I can win, I'll have a better boat and a trip to the Classic for 2017. If I don't, I will not quit. I won't invent excuses. I'll practice more and enter as many tournaments as possible to stay in the moment.

Again. I'm not a dick. I not an [censored]. I am just a guy that REALLY loves to fish, compete, and set and attain very high goals. As for my screen name? Yes, I do own a lot of some of the best gear. I'm not rich, I build custom cars for a living. I sacrifice a lot of other fun things folks have in order to have the very best fishing gear I can possibly have. Simple. And the gear I have I have modified myself to make it even better, and more personalized for my style of fishing. It isn't cheap. Again. I go without a lot. I wear freaking clothes from Walmart. I don't eat out. I put back about $200 a week to spend towards my gear. A lot to some. Minimal for the level I want to fish at.

And I'm not 40. I'm 47 cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254858 12/01/15 12:25 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Okie....

I don't need a medal. Haha. I am accepting cash donations though. Either via PayPal. Or for you, you can just enter a tourney I'm fishing in. I'm sure your money will end up in the right hands. Haha. <<<< that's just a joke. Don't start getting fired up.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11254862 12/01/15 12:29 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Okie....

I don't need a medal. Haha. I am accepting cash donations though. Either via PayPal. Or for you, you can just enter a tourney I'm fishing in. I'm sure your money will end up in the right hands. Haha. <<<< that's just a joke. Don't start getting fired up.

Let's go to Lewisville and see how good you are. Me against you in the high water. $500 for the biggest 5 fish bag. Don't worry about me....I don't get fired up. I just get crankin!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11254892 12/01/15 12:40 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Okie....

Let's go to Lewisville and see how good you are. Me against you in the high water. $500 for the biggest 5 fish bag. Don't worry about me....I don't get fired up. I just get crankin!

really?

Ok! Give me a couple days on the lake first. Or we can go this weekend. 4 hours together on my boat and 4 together on yours.

Only reason I ask for a couple days...I haven't been on Lewisville in about 35 years. But, the share a boat idea would be better. Lol. That way we can keep each other honest.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254899 12/01/15 12:42 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Fish on wed. Prefish tomorrow. We'll just go $100. I'd feel guilty taking any more than that from you.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254911 12/01/15 12:46 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I have to work. It's guaranteed money(work). I have weekends off.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 12/01/15 12:47 AM. Reason: Work! Is guaranteed money. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254918 12/01/15 12:48 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Brandon.....I've always used just cheap mono for backing. The only reason I do that is to stretch my braid and flouro further than filling up the whole spool and wasting expensive line. But I squeak when I walk, too.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254920 12/01/15 12:48 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Saturday or Sunday. $100 is fine too.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11254921 12/01/15 12:49 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
No worrys.

As for claiming to be AOY. Not a claim. A goal. I have a saying I use for myself. And it is very true.

If you think you can....you might. If you think you can't...you never will.

I am not claiming I am better than the elite guys. I can say, for a fact, that I have fished side by side with 5 of them this year. And I caught more weight than four of them. From the back of their boats. Fishing where they wanted to go. Am I better? Probably not. But I do take advantage of every single cast, every time during a tournament. I fished as a co angler this year... Why? Because I didn't own a boat. I figured it wasn't me against other guys, or gals. It was me against the lake and the fish. I figured I'd win a boat(again....confident) It was first place at each of the three tourneys. Bold dream? No. High goal? Yes. Did I do it? Well, not exactly. As stated above, a mechanical failure cost me a boat. In my third, ever, Bassmaster tourney. But...my winnings did allow me to pay cash for a boat from a fellow TFFer. And subsequent winnings allowed me to upgrade the boat substatially. So, for my first 9 tourneys and the accomplishments (goals set high, and achieved...sort of) I have made, I'm happy.

I'm not arrogant as most people on this forum perceive me to be. I am confident. Highly confident. In my abilities to catch bass. In any lake, any weather, and any water condition. I study this hobby and practice every day. And I challenge myself to catch a limit every day. Regardless of the situation. It is why I am able to do what I have done. Next year, in my [censored] little Nitro, I have been asked to fish as a "boater" against sponsored pros. I am gonna do it. Next year will be a good barometer for me. It will let me see if my abilities to read a lake, my graphs, and make intelligent decisions to find quality fish are getting better. If I can win, I'll have a better boat and a trip to the Classic for 2017. If I don't, I will not quit. I won't invent excuses. I'll practice more and enter as many tournaments as possible to stay in the moment.

Again. I'm not a dick. I not an [censored]. I am just a guy that REALLY loves to fish, compete, and set and attain very high goals. As for my screen name? Yes, I do own a lot of some of the best gear. I'm not rich, I build custom cars for a living. I sacrifice a lot of other fun things folks have in order to have the very best fishing gear I can possibly have. Simple. And the gear I have I have modified myself to make it even better, and more personalized for my style of fishing. It isn't cheap. Again. I go without a lot. I wear freaking clothes from Walmart. I don't eat out. I put back about $200 a week to spend towards my gear. A lot to some. Minimal for the level I want to fish at.

And I'm not 40. I'm 47 cheers

I like this. People should have goals and confidence in themselves to accomplish those goals..

Last edited by ezbassin; 12/01/15 12:50 AM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11254927 12/01/15 12:52 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I was gonna take off of work. Taking you to Lew is guaranteed money for me. Maybe we can get it in on Saturday.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254945 12/01/15 12:59 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Honestly. I'm in. Which ramp?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254952 12/01/15 01:01 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We need photos of the results. wopics

Last edited by jafish; 12/01/15 01:01 AM.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254970 12/01/15 01:06 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Haha. This is gonna be fun. Kinda like grudge match street racing. Only with trolling motors.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11254977 12/01/15 01:08 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Meet you out front of Tower Bay at 8am On Saturday. We'll check each other's livewells and go fish. Meet back at tower Bay no later than 2:30 to weigh fish. I've got a cheap pair of digitals if that'll work for ya.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11254987 12/01/15 01:10 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Come on out to RockinS on GV Lake Fri evening at 5pm and we can start the smack-talk a little early. Then we will go get 'em on Saturday.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11255007 12/01/15 01:18 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Meet you out front of Tower Bay at 8am On Saturday. We'll check each other's livewells and go fish. Meet back at tower Bay no later than 2:30 to weigh fish. I've got a cheap pair of digitals if that'll work for ya.

is Tower Bay the one off I35 in Lewisville. By the old PhilDill boats place? By the Lesisville fishing barge. And Sneaky Petes?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255019 12/01/15 01:22 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
It's on. The rubber is going to meet the road. Correction. The rudder is going to meet the water this weekend. Wear eye protection this may get ugly and a cup. Are we going to take blood at the ramp before and after for drug testing? These are real men. I hope their backing works out. cheer

Last edited by jafish; 12/01/15 01:28 AM.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255026 12/01/15 01:23 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yes, just north of eagle Point Marina. I'm not for sure if ramp will be closed or not but we can still meet out there OTW.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255030 12/01/15 01:24 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I have a scale. We can weigh both on each other's scales. And average. Whatever. It will be obvious when I get them from the livewell and my boat raises an inch. Lol.

As for the offer to go to Grapevine to party. No thanks. I don't live close, and driving to your lake is gonna take me a little while. I grew up there. Went to Marcus my freshman year and graduated from LHS. So I know enough about the general area. I also know that I don't want to go that far out of my way to smack talk when we can just hijack a dudes thread on here.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: jafish] #11255032 12/01/15 01:25 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It's on. The rubber is going to meet the road. Correction. The rudder is going to meet the water this weekend. Wear eye protection this may get ugly and a cup. These are real men. I hope their backing works out. cheer

What's wrong with a little friendly, smack talk competition?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255056 12/01/15 01:31 AM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
My money is on Okie.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11255063 12/01/15 01:33 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have a scale. We can weigh both on each other's scales. And average. Whatever. It will be obvious when I get them from the livewell and my boat raises an inch. Lol.

As for the offer to go to Grapevine to party. No thanks. I don't live close, and driving to your lake is gonna take me a little while. I grew up there. Went to Marcus my freshman year and graduated from LHS. So I know enough about the general area. I also know that I don't want to go that far out of my way to smack talk when we can just hijack a dudes thread on here.

It ain't my lake. GV is my lake. If you would rather fish there, that'll work. Didn't figure you would want to fish it since its 14 ft above pool but it don't matter to me. Oh, yes, sorry Brandon for hijacking the post. Last post. PM me Stevie McQueenie if you have any questions.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Kevin Bryant] #11255065 12/01/15 01:33 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
My money is on Okie.

So I'm an underdog? grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255087 12/01/15 01:38 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Nothing. Get it on. I like it. We must have photos. Please. I think it's going to boil down to who has the best backing setup.

Last edited by jafish; 12/01/15 01:39 AM.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11255154 12/01/15 02:01 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
It's the first annual Kicking Butt Competition at the World Famous Lake Lewisville Reservoir and we were all there went it started over braid backup. I'm going to tell this story for years to come. I may add a little something to it inorder to get the spice up. Photos will make the story better. I can always chop them if needed.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256180 12/01/15 05:01 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
i need to go put on my boots because this cr@p is getting deep

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11256181 12/01/15 05:02 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

I was gonna take off of work. Taking you to Lew is guaranteed money for me. Maybe we can get it in on Saturday.

I think that was the best TFF diss besides "don't talk to the pond king that way"

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11256187 12/01/15 05:06 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

I think that was the best TFF diss besides "don't talk to the pond king that way"

score 1 for okie

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256399 12/01/15 07:05 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Yes. He got me pretty good on that one. If I made less money, we'd be fishing on wed. But, as it stands, we are fishing Saturday. We are meeting at 9am. Wish him luck. I'd ask for the same, but I already know that wouldn't happen from your guys. Haha.

Hey! Anyone got any tips for Lewisville? Haha. Thought I'd ask. bolt

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256425 12/01/15 07:21 PM
B
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Hey guys it's alright for the hijack, its pretty entertaining to read this honestly!! And thanks for all the advice on the reel backing it was very helpful.

It's an obsession
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11256431 12/01/15 07:22 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Yes. He got me pretty good on that one. If I made less money, we'd be fishing on wed. But, as it stands, we are fishing Saturday. We are meeting at 9am. Wish him luck. I'd ask for the same, but I already know that wouldn't happen from your guys. Haha.

Hey! Anyone got any tips for Lewisville? Haha. Thought I'd ask. bolt

Fish the tires with a white jig and a crankbait on the 35 bridge corners

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256435 12/01/15 07:25 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Brandon Farrell
Hey guys it's alright for the hijack, its pretty entertaining to read this honestly!! And thanks for all the advice on the reel backing it was very helpful.

AS earlier stated if you use braid start with mono to spool, then attached your braid to it. That will cut out on any slippage.

I use my old braid or some clearance cheap stuff I fund for $2 a roll.

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256465 12/01/15 07:47 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Lol. Doesn't know where Tower Bay is - believes he will beat a local stick - thinks he's going to be AOY. Nah, not delusional at all. Ambition is one thing, but don't be ridiculous, at least not in front of everyone.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11256519 12/01/15 08:25 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Lol. Doesn't know where Tower Bay is - believes he will beat a local stick - thinks he's going to be AOY. Nah, not delusional at all. Ambition is one thing, but don't be ridiculous, at least not in front of everyone.
haha. It's all part of the "fun". I actually grew up in Lewisville. Went to Lewrisville high school. Lived there, hickory creek for 4 years, and The colony for 5 years. Fished my first tournament there when I was 7. I'll be ok. That, and Brett Pruitt gave me all his way points from his collegiate BASS tourney there for a year or so ago. Don't think they will help with the water changing, but it's a start.

And thanks for the tips Doug. grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256530 12/01/15 08:32 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Better bring your "A" game, stud........

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256658 12/01/15 09:29 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
So you're gonna use someone else's waypoints to try to win a heads up fight huh. Lol. I dunno, I guess I had better just not comment on that one. I can feel the WOS calling my name.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256745 12/01/15 10:16 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Wow Okie you might be the new "sandpaper" lol. Anyone willing to take Tom on Lewisville or the Vine should just mail Tom a check and save the gas money. Fished with the man many times and always amazes me how in tune with the moment he is. I think he was a bass in his previous life. Lake is 7 feet high and rising so be careful and wear those life jackets.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256873 12/01/15 11:49 PM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Don't forget we need photos please. wopics

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11256897 12/02/15 12:04 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Better bring your "A" game, stud........
"A-game" for the original amount? grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256898 12/02/15 12:05 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
And what is that? You want to go $500 now?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11256910 12/02/15 12:13 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
So you're gonna use someone else's waypoints to try to win a heads up fight huh. Lol. I dunno, I guess I had better just not comment on that one. I can feel the WOS calling my name.
why not? I use graphs made by someone else, rods and reels made by someone else, lures by someone else, and a boat I didn't make... According to the popular consensus, I couldn't figure out a waypoint or what to throw there anyway. Hell, I might not even know how to read a map!

What about it, Okie?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256914 12/02/15 12:14 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
$500... Sure. I've spent $1500 for a one in 240 chance... What's $500 for a 50/50? Or, as everyone thinks,,, 1 in 99.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256916 12/02/15 12:16 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Hey Okie! Let's put this on pay per view. grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256948 12/02/15 12:37 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you're waiting on me to decide, you're backing up. Better be moving forward or you will be left behind or trampled over. I already know which one it will be......$500 it is!!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256975 12/02/15 12:50 AM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I want whatever job Steez claims to have!! He don't mind throwing money away lol

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256985 12/02/15 12:54 AM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I know I'm probably dumber than most of you guys, but here is what I do.

I put on a strip of electrical tape, then cheap mono, then braid. If it is a reel dedicated to braid then thats it, if its a reel with floro or mono, then I just put a small amount of braid on then put on the mono or floro.

It has worked great for me, and I don't mind taking the time to do it.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11256986 12/02/15 12:54 AM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Man I didn't even read this thread until now .

So you guys say he shouldn't ask for areas? All the big name pros get help but a tff guy cant? Ok

I have seen okie truck parked at tower bay ramp for two weeks straight everyday . He sent me a few pics two days ago of some biggins

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11256999 12/02/15 01:02 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I want whatever job Steez claims to have!! He don't mind throwing money away lol
claims to have? Really? Haha. That's rich. I'm a beer assistant. Hint hint.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: B-rader] #11257028 12/02/15 01:15 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Brad Hardt

So you guys say he shouldn't ask for areas? All the big name pros get help but a tff guy cant? Ok

I have seen okie truck parked at tower bay ramp for two weeks straight everyday . He sent me a few pics two days ago of some biggins

They want me to fail. I probably am biting off a good chunk. But, if I thought I couldn't, I never would try. So, as my mentality has been for many years, I think I can ......so I just might. Might not. Nothing keeps a person focused as well as accepting challenges and commiting to them. I have never been and never will be a quitter. I have never backed down from a challenge. This is not a dare! It's a challenge. And Saturday, I will have a new respect for Okie, and I am positive he will respect me. We have set times and agreements to this via PM. He understands what kind of person I am, as I do him. We will take pictures. If I lose, I will be the first to admit it here. If I win, he will admit it. Either way, we both feel that this is something we both have to do now. He and I have a lot of the same feelings about challenges and we both repsct each other. Maybe more after this weekend. But for now, we have agreed to the terms. While the rest of you just get to smile, and read, and wonder what fulfillment YOU will get out of your fishing this weekend. He and I will have a lot to talk about and remember. Even if one of us comes up short on weight. It really doesn't matter. We will know that instead of just talking the talk. We walked it. cheers

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257077 12/02/15 01:38 AM
O
OnEm247 Offline
Angler
Angler
O
A+ thread haha

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11257110 12/02/15 02:00 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

They want me to fail. I probably am biting off a good chunk. But, if I thought I couldn't, I never would try. So, as my mentality has been for many years, I think I can ......so I just might. Might not. Nothing keeps a person focused as well as accepting challenges and commiting to them. I have never been and never will be a quitter. I have never backed down from a challenge. This is not a dare! It's a challenge. And Saturday, I will have a new respect for Okie, and I am positive he will respect me. We have set times and agreements to this via PM. He understands what kind of person I am, as I do him. We will take pictures. If I lose, I will be the first to admit it here. If I win, he will admit it. Either way, we both feel that this is something we both have to do now. He and I have a lot of the same feelings about challenges and we both repsct each other. Maybe more after this weekend. But for now, we have agreed to the terms. While the rest of you just get to smile, and read, and wonder what fulfillment YOU will get out of your fishing this weekend. He and I will have a lot to talk about and remember. Even if one of us comes up short on weight. It really doesn't matter. We will know that instead of just talking the talk. We walked it. cheers

y'all should just team up and come fish a little derby some guys threw together at Hubbard Saturday

why split up all that awesomeness??

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257152 12/02/15 02:27 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I will do it if we can fish in your holes alongside you. Does your pet fish know it's your baits and not someone else's ? I guess it depends on how it gets wiggled........

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11257290 12/02/15 03:23 AM
P
Angler
Angler
P

I think it's awesome that yall are putting your money where your mouth is, not many people would be willing to do that and like you said I'm sure yall will both leave with a new found respect for each other, I wish yall both good luck I'm ready to hear the results.

P.s. if you want a real challenge come duel it out at PK right now.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257398 12/02/15 04:21 AM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I just read all this thread, and I must say it takes balls to put up or shut up, I don't know either one of you, but I like the competition. Good luck to both of you.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257401 12/02/15 04:24 AM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Y'all ought to donate that grand to a poor district high school fishing team......

Walt Whitman
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: txmasterpo] #11257412 12/02/15 04:29 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Y'all ought to donate that grand to a poor district high school fishing team......

Do none of the parents of any kids that fish have jobs?? Or has it become the "in" thing to donate everything?
When I wanted things growing up I got a J O B (just say'n)

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257420 12/02/15 04:38 AM
W
Wadefishing Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Best of luck to you guys. This has been very interesting not to mention entertaining.

Thanks,

Wade
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257433 12/02/15 04:44 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Yea. I know what you're saying.

What about Navionics. Could I use that without getting the beat down from the forum. Or are the waypoints that automatically update on those everyday considered the same by you?

As for pride and self respect. Lol. It is why he and I are doing this. And not sitting behind a computer slinging turds. Like I said. We have talked and agreed to the rules. What I tell you doesn't mean [censored]. What you read and interpret as truth doesn't either. This one isn't your battle. Your opinion is noted. And, for the record, no waypoints on Lewisville lake will be used by either of us this weekend. So relax. And cheer for Okie. Please.

Feel better? I don't. He knows Lewisville like the back of his hand. I only know ex girlfriends that live there.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257482 12/02/15 05:45 AM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
That's an interesting outcome to a thread about backing on a reel. I forgot what the pre-hijack subject matter was for a minute.

I like Steez. I too have made it a point to be confident, effective, and successful while also taking pains to be reasonable, dignified, and polite. No matter how polite one is, though, many people get their knickers in a knot and blow their tops when anyone presents himself as anything above a lowly wretch.

It's funny how threatened people become over nothing, allowing their insecurities to conspicuously intrude on an affair like a pot boiling over as they pepper the internet with ill-composed attempts to call out what they perceive to be intolerable arrogance. The world is becoming nuttier than a two ton pallet of Whitman's Samplers.

Good luck, Steez.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: BillyVanWard] #11257487 12/02/15 06:00 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: BillyVanWard
That's an interesting outcome to a thread about backing on a reel. I forgot what the pre-hijack subject matter was for a minute.

I like Steez. I too have made it a point to be confident, effective, and successful while also taking pains to be reasonable, dignified, and polite. No matter how polite one is, though, many people get their knickers in a knot and blow their tops when anyone presents himself as anything above a lowly wretch.

It's funny how threatened people become over nothing, allowing their insecurities to conspicuously intrude on an affair like a pot boiling over as they pepper the internet with ill-composed attempts to call out what they perceive to be intolerable arrogance. The world is becoming nuttier than a two ton pallet of Whitman's Samplers.

Good luck, Steez.

SMDH

Last edited by Doug R.; 12/02/15 06:59 AM.

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257489 12/02/15 06:03 AM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I agree, Doug. It is funny how people will do just that.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257603 12/02/15 12:46 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Hello all.

Sorry to derail the derail, just wanted to throw in my 2 regarding backing.

I worked on reels for 4 years and managed outbound reel repairs, and I would see at least one person a week that had braid spinning on their reel. Of course, they thought their drag was busted. They were always very relieved when I would pinch the spool down with my thumb and show them that it was just their braided line spinning on the spool.

Long story short, braided line will absolutely spin on a spool of you don't secure it well. I've seen it a thousand times. Either run your line through one of the small holes on the spool, or use a little piece of tape to hold the braid down.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257647 12/02/15 01:15 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I've also seen people try to tighten braid down too hard on a spool designed for normal weight fishing. So tight it actually deformed the spool and ruined it. They are very thin aluminum and some of razor thin titanium. Strong enough to to wind a fishing line to them. Not strong enough to support 65 lbs of force trying to keep non stretching braid tight enough to not slip.

I apologize for the normal response to the original thread topic....for those that are watching the mud slinging. I'm sure some are waiting for more action. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11257667 12/02/15 01:33 PM
B-rader Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
No way points will be used by either?

Okie better nor bring his graph then . Yall should rent two John boats with 5 h.p. motors and troll

A-RIGS , MAKING BAD FISHERMAN LOOK GOOD SINCE 2010
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: B-rader] #11258037 12/02/15 04:51 PM
N
northtexascrappiehunter Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N

Okie better nor bring his graph then . Yall should rent two John boats with 5 h.p. motors and troll

+1

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: B-rader] #11258135 12/02/15 05:48 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

He's just talking out of his arse now. He knows he's going to use his buddies waypoints or he wouldn't have mentioned it. Now that it's bit him he's backtracking. Typical of people who talk a lot, before thinking. And he certainly likes to talk a lot.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: BillyVanWard] #11258183 12/02/15 06:19 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K

Good luck, Steez.

That just happened.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258206 12/02/15 06:33 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Knowing Okie and as cheap as he is he probably is on a first name basis with all those 7 pounders he has been catching. I think he calls that big double digit "moneymaker" if I recall correctly. Good luck to you both.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: BillyVanWard] #11258284 12/02/15 07:17 PM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J

Good luck, Steez.

WHAT.......... I caught the nuttier part out of that.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258307 12/02/15 07:30 PM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Is the HydroWave allowed? frkazoid

I hope they don't get a bunch of rules started and stay with a What You Brung format.

Don't forget the cell phone photos. I hope they pick up on this and televise the weigh in.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258345 12/02/15 07:52 PM
C
californiabass22 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
This is a REALLY cool conversations gents. I love the competition, the confidence. Regardless of how it plays out, i would imagine that you guys will be able to grab a few beers together and laugh about it for years. Enjoyed reading it, as well as looking forward to hearing the "play by play" from the day!

californiabass22
Project Engineer - VCC LLC.
www.vccusa.com
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: BillyVanWard] #11258430 12/02/15 08:31 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Good luck, Steez.

I dink u got doo-doo brain.......

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258563 12/02/15 09:52 PM
N
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
I say we need two chase boats, one for each participant to video the day. Ill be one but someone would need to donate a go pro to me as I dont have one. lol

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258601 12/02/15 10:16 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
There for sure needs to be a live update thread running Saturday.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11258609 12/02/15 10:18 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Well spoken steez

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258615 12/02/15 10:22 PM
N
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
Ill volunteer to do live updates, we would need another boat too.

Last edited by northtexascrappiehunter; 12/02/15 10:22 PM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11258883 12/03/15 12:53 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Well spoken steez
eek2

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11258886 12/03/15 12:55 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
So...no GPS. Only sonar and down scan.
Can I use minnows and live crawfish? grin

Sonar and DI is for safeties sake. The lake is high and I don't know much about it lately. It's to keep me off of picnic benches and flooded boat houses.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 12/03/15 03:28 AM. Reason: Explanation for S and DI

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11258917 12/03/15 01:11 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
So...no GPS. Only sonar and down scan.
Can I use minnows and live crawfish? grin

I don't care what you use. Just make sure to bring your 5 bills.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11259022 12/03/15 02:10 AM
W
Wadefishing Offline
Angler
Angler
W

Good luck, Steez.

I dink u got doo-doo brain.......

I think you may have proved his point.

Good luck Steez.

Wade
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11259102 12/03/15 02:46 AM
S
SuperSpookJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Dang, you DFW boys take your backing seriously.

-SSJr

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11259109 12/03/15 02:49 AM
W
Wadefishing Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Appears we do doesn't it. Hey, we got five pages out of it.

Wade
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11259212 12/03/15 03:38 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
5 pages. Not counting all the deleted posts. And personal threats to me via PM. Haha. I feel like I might need to change my name and take all the identifying trademark stuff off my jeep and boat. Go REALLY DEEP under cover. might even have to have my Humminbirds erased by the geek squad.

As for Okie.... I guess I will bring some cash. I know the gas stations don't like it when I try to buy a snickers bar with hundred dollar bills. So I will have to just deposit your money on Monday. banana

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11259228 12/03/15 03:50 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

He's just talking out of his arse now. He knows he's going to use his buddies waypoints or he wouldn't have mentioned it. Now that it's bit him he's backtracking. Typical of people who talk a lot, before thinking. And he certainly likes to talk a lot.

I thought this out... thumb clap

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11259233 12/03/15 03:54 AM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
There for sure needs to be a live update thread running Saturday.

This

Plus photos required

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11259284 12/03/15 04:27 AM
S
SRitchey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
5 pages. Not counting all the deleted posts. And personal threats to me via PM. Haha. I feel like I might need to change my name and take all the identifying trademark stuff off my jeep and boat. Go REALLY DEEP under cover. might even have to have my Humminbirds erased by the geek squad.

As for Okie.... I guess I will bring some cash. I know the gas stations don't like it when I try to buy a snickers bar with hundred dollar bills. So I will have to just deposit your money on Monday. banana

Crazy...personal threats really? A lot of these comments sound like high school girls Steez and I'm not talking about yours. Don't let the egos get to you. Good luck out there and I hope you bring it home just to shut them up. If you don't I appreciate your goals and determination there's nothing wrong with that, I've never seen you rub anybody's nose in it.

Steve

1999 ChampioN 203 - 2011 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
2-10" Helix & 1-10" Garmin Livescope Plus - Ultrex 36/112

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11260304 12/03/15 07:04 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

I thought this out... thumb clap

Lol it really sounds like it.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260690 12/03/15 09:58 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Ok, Steez......I felt compelled to help you a little. Actually a lot! Why? I don't know. My go to bait is pictured. This way you don't necessarily need to scramble for other people's info, waypoints, baits, etc.......gonna give you first hand view of my bait. I lost my last one in this color last week, but thanks to my good buddy Ken A., he provided me with the right color and size I needed. Don't go looking for them, though. You won't be able to find any by Saturday. I have confidence in my abilities, lots of pride, aspiring bassmaster AOY, never back down to a challenge, Yada Yada, etc......so I'm gonna let you have this bait half the day to even the stakes, that is if you want it. You will need it if you wanna catch the toads that I've been on. I did hit the money machine, too, just in case. I know my fish have had to move a little with the lake being up by 8 ft since last time I was there. So, I have my money ready for you in case they do not cooperate. I like your style. You remind me of that picture with the Pelican sucking down the frog, and the frog's hands are still held tightly around the Pelican's throat, but his body his half-way down his throat. I can feel the noose loosening from around my neck already, just sayin.
I wish you all the luck cuz you're sure gonna need it. I look forward to our event.

Oh, and by the way, I've got the perfect handle for you from now on.......DEGU! (Don't ever give up)

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11260729 12/03/15 10:20 PM
B
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
If you dont mind me asking where did you get this crankbait?

It's an obsession
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260735 12/03/15 10:25 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
From me wink

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260901 12/04/15 12:22 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
So what happens if you both zero?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260903 12/04/15 12:24 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Remind me to give you this before you launch. I'd hate to see your whole world come crashing down on the first cast when you hang your Rick Clunn lure on a stump. Haha. Then you'd wind up oweing two forum members by Saturday afternoon.

Haha

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260906 12/04/15 12:26 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Of course....ill give you mine too.
Rick gave me this one at Fort Gibson. They live to get a little worn out by catching bass. When you don't lose them. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260914 12/04/15 12:30 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I'm changing my name to "SteezNutz".

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11260933 12/04/15 12:37 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Neches
So what happens if you both zero?
never happen.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260938 12/04/15 12:40 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Whats Okie Pokes name? I want to check his resume/tournament winnings this year?

Last edited by Neches; 12/04/15 12:40 AM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11260944 12/04/15 12:43 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Whats Okie Pokes name? I want to check his resume/tournament winnings this year?
Tommy Biffle.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11260948 12/04/15 12:44 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

This will be my first tournament. Pretty cocky for a newbie, eh? Would you like in on some of it?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11260964 12/04/15 12:49 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

This will be my first tournament. Pretty cocky for a newbie, eh? Would you like in on some of it?

Don't get too froggy!!! You'll be hopping all over the place. I want your undivided attention Saturday.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260972 12/04/15 12:53 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Oh. By the way...The Rick Clunn lucky strikes are about as useful as a half sunk motorcycle. Had to say it. Another guy from OK I fished with said that...about 50 times a day.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11260987 12/04/15 12:59 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

Man....I'm in the money now!!!

Not! I wouldn't even bother putting new hooks on it.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261002 12/04/15 01:03 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Better change those rusty hooks! Good luck to both, entertaining thread!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Minner Bucket] #11261007 12/04/15 01:06 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: dmr183
Better change those rusty hooks! Good luck to both, entertaining thread!
good looking out.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261008 12/04/15 01:07 AM
R
Ricky Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
My money's on Steez

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Ricky Taylor] #11261023 12/04/15 01:14 AM
D
Dosser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I like the hype! Hope y'all whack em on saturday! Can't wait to see the results

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261046 12/04/15 01:20 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

All better.

Ahh [censored]. The back one is old. More work.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11261062 12/04/15 01:23 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

All better.

Not quite there but getting closer......we burn these baits back from where I'm from. 7:1 and rippin!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261092 12/04/15 01:35 AM
B
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Better keep us updated Saturday

Last edited by Brandon Farrell; 12/04/15 01:36 AM.

It's an obsession
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261098 12/04/15 01:38 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S

It must be a Texas Thang!!! Better, faster, etc. or is it OK is just a tad behind?

7.9 man!!! And 6 ounces of magnesium, titanium, and brass. Super speed Steez!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261113 12/04/15 01:44 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We pack that in our britches......Ka-Pow!!!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261116 12/04/15 01:45 AM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Somebody in here said "knickers"......

And don't give anything to high school kids from Wills Point or Winnsboro I guess.... [censored] them, they should get a job

Walt Whitman
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261130 12/04/15 01:50 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Lol. grin

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Okie Poke] #11261230 12/04/15 02:28 AM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N

. Oh no I'm not in your league. your one of those bad a$$ dudes. PM me your name I know some lewisville sticks that can fill me in on just what a stud you are

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11261282 12/04/15 02:56 AM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm changing my name to "SteezNutz".

Steez u win the forum today with that. Even though I still don't like you that was funny haha

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11261289 12/04/15 03:00 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

. Oh no I'm not in your league. your one of those bad a$$ dudes. PM me your name I know some lewisville sticks that can fill me in on just what a stud you are

PM sent

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11261339 12/04/15 03:15 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

You stepped back pretty quick from that one. Lol. Damn some of you guys are straight clowns.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11261794 12/04/15 02:10 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Wish I still had my boat because I would be following on the water for sure for this one.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Neches] #11261920 12/04/15 03:06 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Put your money up and fish against him instead of being an azz. This is about these two guys going out and doing it instead of sitting behind a screen and mouthing off. Come on fish against him. Between you and me he really does suc. Let us all know what info you find out then post yours.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11262279 12/04/15 06:31 PM
J
jafish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
This has made my week. Hats off to both of you guys. Photos please.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11262298 12/04/15 06:40 PM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
This is the best smack talk in a while on the form. Still aint anything like when Dillard/SHipe went against Dubose and his partner on Ray Roberts. But still very good stuff

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11262346 12/04/15 06:55 PM
S
spy231 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I have to work Saturday, but we just put in a tv at work. What channel will this be on?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11262727 12/04/15 10:07 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
ESPN 2

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11262764 12/04/15 10:23 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Well, we got problems. Just found out that all ramps are closed on Lake Lewisville. I called my contact with the private high water ramp and it's not useable. So, we will need to make some quick decisions on where we will continue this smack-talk grudge match. I have contacted Sleezie, I mean Steezie, and he said that he will figure something out. A possibility is still looming for tomorrow. We discussed Fairfield. Heck, I ain't ever been there but I don't care, it's just a power plant lake. They're all the same. I just need an extra $500 in my pocket. Stay tuned........Steezie said he will be back on here and let me know. I gotta go get ready for a TFF G2G, yeehaw! Rednecks don't stand a chance...........

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263011 12/05/15 12:35 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Haha. You mean "The King of lake Lewisville" can't get his little boat ramp pass? Haha. Whatever. I figured it would come to this. First is was "$500" ....then "I don't want to break you....$100".... Then "I don't have my favorite bait".... Then "cheating by using someone else's waypoints from 2013"....to "the ramps are closed".

You sure?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263025 12/05/15 12:41 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I'll tell ya what!

Fairfield it is. I haven't been there either. Dude, we can fish in a drainage ditch and I'll catch bigger fish. I will text Butler and tell him "two more". This will be better. Then it's me and all my tackle, graphs, knowledge of reading a lake vs you, your custom jacked up looking crank bait, and your smart [censored].

I have even more drive now. I get to beat your [censored] in a "fair field" (like what I did there?) and have a chance at even more money. It's gonna be great to not only win.... But count how many places behind me you wind up.

Texas Vs Oklahoma all over again. Who won that game? The supposed underdog.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263026 12/05/15 12:42 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Twin Points eagle mountain lake....

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263029 12/05/15 12:43 AM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
What? No derby?

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263035 12/05/15 12:45 AM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
^^^never mind^^^^

Just a new lake

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Ranger Z21] #11263042 12/05/15 12:49 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Ranger Z21
ESPN 2
haha. I wish. It's so ridiculous and predictable it should be on the Hallmark Channel.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263161 12/05/15 02:12 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I thought Fairfield was really bad after the fish kills and no restocking of it since 2010 because of the kills.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11263163 12/05/15 02:15 AM
S
SRitchey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Ranger Z21
ESPN 2
haha. I wish. It's so ridiculous and predictable it should be on the Hallmark Channel.

Now that's funny!!

Steve

1999 ChampioN 203 - 2011 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
2-10" Helix & 1-10" Garmin Livescope Plus - Ultrex 36/112

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263173 12/05/15 02:22 AM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Ya'll can always put on your big boy britches and do it on a Brazos lake. grin

Last edited by FMJshooter; 12/05/15 02:23 AM.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263192 12/05/15 02:35 AM
007. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Based on this, there are some ramps open. Scroll down to Lewisville.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lake/lakefacilities.htm

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: 007.] #11263204 12/05/15 02:39 AM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: 007.
Based on this, there are some ramps open. Scroll down to Lewisville.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lake/lakefacilities.htm

Not accurate

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263301 12/05/15 03:37 AM
N
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
arrow head is open, high but open. I just got in the truck and went and checked.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263336 12/05/15 04:03 AM
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Well I can't wait to see how the crazy thing turns out

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Bobby Milam] #11263425 12/05/15 05:57 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I thought Fairfield was really bad after the fish kills and no restocking of it since 2010 because of the kills.

A lot of people think that, it's simply not true. The lake is full of 2 and 3lb bass. It was bad for a year or so but it's full of fish now.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263485 12/05/15 10:48 AM
USA-1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Will there be a camera boat following and sending updates and film clips? banana

Good luck to both of you...

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263486 12/05/15 10:54 AM
USA-1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Here is the OFFICIAL Song for today's Grudge Match:

http://youtu.be/gJ3tqIukBKg

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263493 12/05/15 11:38 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Well. I blew my motor on my jeep...still rolling. Okie, being the good sport, is following me to make sure I get there. lol.

Checking in at Fairfield. At a hotel. So he can use the boys room.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11263916 12/05/15 06:15 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
ROFL!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264263 12/05/15 10:56 PM
John P085 Offline
Angler
Angler
Update? popcorn

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264267 12/05/15 10:58 PM
P
Angler
Angler
P
What's the deal I'm ready for the results!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264279 12/05/15 11:02 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Well.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264297 12/05/15 11:14 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
You ready for this?

We caught a few fish each. All were almost clones of each other. Neither of us could weigh in anything because all of our catches were under the 18" minimum. They we're all 15" or so. We stayed in very close sight of each other all day. We both tied for dead last with a LOT of other guys. Haha. We figured the tourney would keep us honest and we both decided, before, that they couldn't be 20 dinks that weighed 10'pounds. We decided on a five fish limit and all fish had to be legal. We both missed a BUNCH of fish. And we both lost a bunch in the reeds.

We both couldn't believe how small the lake fished. As always, a few guys were finding fish of better size. We couldn't find them. I even took my boat into the reeds. To the back side of them nothing but small fish.

If anyone ever goes to Fairfield. Take a flipping stick loaded with 65lb braid. A few weedless baits, ether jigs or punch rigs. And that is it. Only need one rod. And there literally is only one pattern. At least that either of us could get going.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264310 12/05/15 11:27 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Well.... That was anticlimactic!!

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264311 12/05/15 11:28 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Sorry for the anticlimactic finish. We had fun. Our advice to others here is to grow a pair and get out and fish. No money swapped hands. And no one was thrown into the lake. No [censored] talking. We just shook hands and went fishing.

Okie is a really nice guy. And a hell of an angler.

He even followed my "five cylinder" jeep all the way back to Dallas. I think it broke a rocker arm or collapsed a lifter. It is a known issue on almost every 2012 3.6 liter in Chrysler jeep dodge vehicles. I've already had the cylinder head replaced once by the dealer. I think this time I'll get it fixed and trade it in on a new Tundra 4x4.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264345 12/05/15 11:58 PM
B
Bass_Taco Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
moral of the story is you BOTH SUCK at fishing... eeks roflmao

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264354 12/06/15 12:02 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Haha. You got that right.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264644 12/06/15 03:07 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Flipping is the wrong way to fish that lake. You'll get ate up with small ones. You gotta break out the DD22 and find some of the ridges by the intake and discharge. Bigger fish are usually on that side of the lake.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11264700 12/06/15 03:47 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Flipping is the wrong way to fish that lake. You'll get ate up with small ones. You gotta break out the DD22 and find some of the ridges by the intake and discharge. Bigger fish are usually on that side of the lake.

Not all the time

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Dubee] #11264774 12/06/15 04:33 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dubee

Not all the time

No not all the time, but right now for sure.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: timwins31] #11264868 12/06/15 05:06 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D

Not all the time

I guess if you say so.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Dubee] #11264889 12/06/15 05:19 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Not all the time

I guess if you say so.

#MFGA
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264935 12/06/15 06:26 AM
H
HawgWrangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I doesn't read through the more than a dozen pages of respones, but I'm sure some one has mentioned using "used" braid. It works awesome.

HawgWrangler

Turning Point & Team Challenge
www.turningpointnation.org
"To develop self-esteem and confidence in the physically challenged through participation in adapted outdoor adventures"

Paralyzed Veterans of America BASS Tour
A B.A.S.S. Sanctioned Tour
www.pva.org
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11264953 12/06/15 07:27 AM
Codybphillips Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Awesome ending

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Codybphillips] #11265003 12/06/15 12:30 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Codybphillips
Awesome ending

Oh, no. We ain't finished just yet. I want someone to show me how to catch the biggens out there, my first time on the lake. This is now on my bucket list. I can't remember yesterday how many times I said "another dam dink!" I know........fire away you computer commandos, "Go find the fish yourself". If I have to I will. But I always try and work smarter, not harder.

Anyways, I had a great time meeting and fishing against Steez. He's a stand up guy. Don't judge him by his posts. We all can get macho behind the screen. But, if you can back up what you post on this forum, it puts you at a whole nutha' level. And that is exactly what he did. He's a respectful, polite individual that could hold his own on probably any lake. His true testament for that is coming this next year as he fishes in two bassmaster open divisions. I admire his confidence and tenacity, and I hope he does very well.

Now, for those of you that didn't actually get to blow a load on the finish of this thread, tough shenoski's. I did. I met a dude and established a new friendship. Someone as passionate at this game as I am, or maybe even more. I hope that everyone enjoyed reading this thread as much as we enjoyed typing on it.

We can be done, now. Thanks!

Okie cheers

PS..........Oh, yea........use cheap mono for backing on reel and save money. Moral of the story......

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11265015 12/06/15 12:59 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I for one am kinda glad it came out this way. I know both of you love the sport, nobody was financially burdened, and I'm sure you guys will fish together in the future. cheers

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11265030 12/06/15 01:23 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Two class acts here for sure. Thanks for the entertainment.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11265309 12/06/15 04:15 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Sounds like a good way to end a story and start a friendship. Glad all worked out.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11265532 12/06/15 06:31 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
If you really wanna figure that lake out it won't take long, I guarantee. It fishes VERY small. When the fish are on a certain pattern it's lakewide. When it IS flipping, the lake spreads out a LITTLE more but not much. When they're on the hardwoods, you'll be fighting over stumps with people. I avoid the discharge as much as possible because everyone seems to think that's the honey hole on that lake. It isn't. It intake is a much better spot.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11266828 12/07/15 02:06 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
What a beauty of a thread. I couldn't figure out why a thread about backing could get to 8 pages until I got to page 2. Theeeennnnnn the smack talk starts with the outcome being a couple of dinks. roflmao I wish I lived closer to you guys.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Dubee] #11267058 12/07/15 03:40 PM
T
TDR2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

Not all the time

I guess if you say so.

Sounds like a 500$ fish off is needed to settle this.

P1
Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11267803 12/07/15 08:39 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I sold my boat 2 months ago, and I don't think I can hit my spots from the bank. Lol.

And I fish Fairfield 2 or 3 times a year. Even with my boat I'd probably lose. And if I'm going to just donate money, I'd like to find a better cause than Dubee, no offense or anything.

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11267887 12/07/15 09:06 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
I have a boat, it's just sitting on tires right now. Lol

Re: Backing on a reel [Re: Brandon Farrell] #11269207 12/08/15 04:51 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I read about your trailer. . .those tube trailers are such crud man. Be real careful with that thing welded. . .I'd be scared to death. . .

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide