Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
TFF Hall Of Fame #11242113 11/24/15 06:01 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
The Texas Fishing Forum has provided so many benefits to fisherman since its conception. For me on a personal level, I know that I have become a better fisherman because of the sharing of experience by so many TFF members.

We have a In Memoriam Forum to remember members who have passed before us, I believe that is one of the best forums on the TFF. It is however an honor after the death of a member, has their been a discussion on perhaps having a TFF Hall Of Honor or Hall of Fame to members who have made this site and what its core purpose represents?

It would be nice to honor those who have given so much to us over the years. Just an example; Mr. Paty or Mr. Skinner in the crappie section, Rudy in the bank fishing section, or Zach in the rough fishing sections. And those are just examples that I know of from the sections I most often read.

There are many forums I do not spend much time reading but they are no less important to TFF experience and the high expectations we all have come to expect when we visit this forum.

Is there room for an additional forum to honor the members who have made the TFF the best fishing forum ?

It is easy for me to just suggest something that is a feel good topic and not have to incur the cost that may cause the owner. I know virtually nothing about what it cost the owner to add one more forum.

Still, if it can be done with minimal expense having a honor to the good works of TFF members while they are still living might be a nice way for us all to say thank you.

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 11/25/15 05:56 AM.
Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11242188 11/24/15 06:59 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
It would turn into a popularity contest.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11242224 11/24/15 07:18 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
ChuChu1, I can definitely understand and appreciate your thoughts. I had those same reservations as I questioned whether this was even worth bringing up to the forum members.

I do think parameters could be placed on the criteria that may help to minimize the selection of those who are just popular and those who have made this forum what it is today.

I would think that a minimum of post contributed, or time as a member should be part of the selection process. I would think the TFF Mods who are in charge of each individual forum would be able to best recognize and submit for consideration who has consistently contributed in a positive way to the TFF.

And popularity is not in of itself always a bad thing, there is a reason the members I used as an example are popular on the forum, they represent the best of all of us in their particular choice of fishing.

It is just an idea to kick around. There are Hall of Fame for Bass Fisherman who most of us will never meet, but those who have contributed to make this forum a great place to visit are often people we can meet or at minimum ask direct questions to gain knowledge from their expertise most of us don't have the time to acquire.

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 11/24/15 07:22 PM.
Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11242564 11/24/15 09:58 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
It's something to kick around. There are some posters that only make a few posts a year that have made a difference in folks fishing ability. Some make thousands and don't say anything. Maybe have a submission period that would chronicle what a poster has contributed, a committee (moderators maybe) pick top 10 and then have a poll and the top 4 or 5 get elected for that year. Then do it annually. I think it would have to be posters that advance the sport, all of it.

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: ChuChu1] #11242630 11/24/15 10:26 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
It's something to kick around. There are some posters that only make a few posts a year that have made a difference in folks fishing ability. Some make thousands and don't say anything. Maybe have a submission period that would chronicle what a poster has contributed, a committee (moderators maybe) pick top 10 and then have a poll and the top 4 or 5 get elected for that year. Then do it annually. I think it would have to be posters that advance the sport, all of it.

Good points all around. I have very mixed emotions on this, I have even greater reservations regarding how I posed the question. Truthfully, I should have been more considerate to the owner. As I said, I know nothing, nada, zip about what it cost to maintain this forum. I once voluntarily contributed 20 dollars to the forum soon after joining as appreciation for of all that I had learned in the crappie section. That was more than 10 years ago. I am guessing that may have helped keep the lights on for the same amount of time it takes me to open the fridge and grab a coke.

Adding another section to the TFF in the same location where the In Memoriam section is or wherever it would be best served may cost more financially than the benefits it brings to all who visit the TFF. It would have been more appropriate to just send the owner a pm and let him decide.

That said, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Simple is usually better. Maybe a freshwater nominee and a saltwater nominee. Perhaps a Good Samaritan of the year. There are lots and lots of folks that use the TFF to do Goodwill work for soldiers, children, and fellow TFF members in need.

It would definitely need to be a annual deal like in December and I agree I think the Mods/Administrators would be best to decide who should be considered. They would know best who has a consistent track record that represents the TFF honorably to the public.

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 11/24/15 10:32 PM.
Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11242657 11/24/15 10:42 PM
B
blooper961 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
A hall of fame for those who have passed is ok.
But in high school, the monsters who have passed have become saints.

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11248339 11/27/15 07:07 PM
R
roadtrip Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
It's a nice thought and I kind of like the idea, but like ChuChu said it can become a popularity contest of sorts. It's kind of a subjective thing and may introduce controversy and hurt feelings where there were none.
There is a thread in the announcement section that touches on TFF'ers that have passed, and it has some really nice things to say about them.

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: roadtrip] #11248393 11/27/15 07:55 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: roadtrip
It's a nice thought and I kind of like the idea, but like ChuChu said it can become a popularity contest of sorts. It's kind of a subjective thing and may introduce controversy and hurt feelings where there were none.
There is a thread in the announcement section that touches on TFF'ers that have passed, and it has some really nice things to say about them.

like when you make fun of "Somebodies" ugly baby

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: butch sanders] #11248414 11/27/15 08:10 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

This has been a good conversation till your post. How about editing it or deleting it so the thread will stay civil?

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Mike Ryan] #11248429 11/27/15 08:20 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Sorry, within ANY parimiter it would end up as a FAVORITE contest, tooo many bonderies to be considered. Good idea, however.....

JMO

Note, sorry, no spell check

You bettcha!
[Linked Image]
oofta!
Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: Trebor Neil] #11248632 11/27/15 10:13 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Trebor Neil
Sorry, within ANY parimiter it would end up as a FAVORITE contest, tooo many bonderies to be considered. Good idea, however.....

JMO

Note, sorry, no spell check

I think Mr. Neil helps to confirm what others have said that something like this would be very difficult to manage in a way that was fair to all members. And I had those same reservations myself.

There were a couple of things that made me want to run the idea by the TFF members for consideration. One reason would be I had a little too much end of year sentimentality where all things past are reviewed and filled away as having been a blessings or not, the other is I was looking at the "In Memoriam" page and thinking how nice it is to have that on the TFF. And as much as I like the In Memoriam section I was thinking it might be nice to have a TTF honor to those still living who have made the TFF a place we visit, support, and at times spend way too much time on. bolt

I see the fishing legends I grew up watching like Roland Martin, Jimmy Houston, Bill Dance etc. and they have so many lifetime accolades that are well deserved but they are not necessarily a direct contribution to this site and how it has helped so many be better fisherman.

This is a lot tighter community. In fact, that is one of the best arguments you good folks have made against this idea. I used a few TFF members I have followed over the years based on "my interest" in fishing. Folks like Guy Skinner and Ernest Paty, how would fairly honor one and not the other, you cannot and that is a very valid point you all have made.

And as pointed out, the two examples I mentioned are who I am familiar with, there are TFF members in the Saltwater forums that I am sure contribute just as much to this sites success but are not known to me and perhaps you too due to the type of fishing they pursue.

You folks are right, it has remained mostly civil. I think the mods might want to lock it up, I sure appreciate their allowing us to have this discussion in the OFD forum. I don't want to kill it myself because there are some really good contributions.

Thanks folks for a good discussion. cheers

Re: TFF Hall Of Fame [Re: ChuChu1] #11251451 11/29/15 12:55 PM
R
roadtrip Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

This has been a good conversation till your post. How about editing it or deleting it so the thread will stay civil?

Butch is just referring to a humorous thread from a few years back that we both posted on.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide