The flood gates are open. The generators may or may not be opened during the day, but the water volume difference between the flood gates and the generators is significant and you probably will not notice a difference in volume when the generators are turned on.
I have not been this week, but here are some general comments. Some folks may have other opinions:
- It is not safe to wade when the flood gates are open, or I would not try it.
- Fly fishing when the FG's are open is difficult, the water is moving fast and you need to make long casts.
- A LOT of BIG fish will be caught this week.
- Because the fishing is usually very good when the FG's are open, it will be VERY crowded, including boats in the river.
- Most people fishing from the bank will be using large surf casting style rods.
The lake level is somewhere around 621 vs. the normal target of 617. My guess is that the flood gates will be open for another week.
Personal opinion, I don't try to fly fish below the dam when the flood gates are open. It is impressive to see, but I prefer to fish with smaller crowds and safer waters.
Unfortunately, the flood gates do not really restock the river, going over the spillway is the process that restocks the river with fish. I find it difficult to believe that a significant number of fish are able to survive a trip through the flood gates, but the fish already in the river do get to eat well while the gates are open.
Good luck if you decide to go!
Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor