Print Thread
Calm before the front hit #11237843 11/22/15 02:57 PM
C
Capt Hoop Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
This trip was for Super Strike Charters. Damon had a boat of 3 people and I had 4 of them. We started out going for Bull reds and we did that in style. There were no birds diving and no bait on the surface. The fish were there the day before so we set up shop and gave it a try. A few shrimpers had been working the area so I guess there was enough bait stirred up to keep the fish there. These guys had all their own gear and it showed up quickly. The first fish hits and after a brief battle the line is broken. Do not know if it was the knot or the drag but we made an adjustment and went back for more. I have found that a Palomar knot although the strongest knot will slip when tied with braid. While we were getting his line rigged again one of them nails our first bull of the day. It was calm with little activity on the water.

Our third fish was start of the highlight of the day. As he is fighting this one we hook up to a double. I am getting to net the first fish and we now have a third fish on. As I am concentrating on netting the second fish the 4th guy hooks up. Once I get the third fish in I realize the last fish will be a long time getting to the boat if it ever makes it that far. I decide to get a picture of the 3 so I can get the fish back in the water.

The fish in the center will be mounted. The tail, spots, and color was outstanding and it was his first ever caught on his custom rod using 20 pound line. What a way to get things going.

This is the other side of the same fish.

Meanwhile this other guy is still fighting his fish. The issue was he had 12 pound mono on his very light rod so the battle would be a long one with a 25 pound class fish on the other end. Everybody went back to fishing while this fish swam around the boat almost at will. The angler would gain line then the fish would make another power run making the drag scream again. After a long time and several runs this fish gets close enough for me to put it in the net. Both the fish and fisherman were tired.

This is the 12 pound setup he had.

After that wild run of bull riding we spent some more time fighting the much sought after drag burning monsters putting about 13 into the net and loosing another 5 or 6. We had a front heading our way with the air changing and winds picking up. We ducked into some protected water looking for trout. Once I was in position it was "Game on". The fish were hitting the deck so fast I would just use the net to scoop them into the net and into the box, toss some water on the slippery deck, and by that time more trout were already flopping on the deck. I had 4 guys bailing the trout. Keeping then supplied with live bait, retying lines and trying to pick up fish was enough to keep me busy. One of the guys broke his line a few times and I asked him what size line he had. He said "I don't know 8 or 10 pound but it may be old". Oh well we still were still filling the box.

The front was coming in so we headed in just in time to avoid the rain. It hit soon after we got back to the marina. We were going to fish again Sunday but the cold and winds put a cancelation on that idea. We quickly took a group picture of our catch and loaded up the boats.

This massive cold front will change things so Monday on the water will be another fish finding adventure. Oh well.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM

Re: Calm before the front hit [Re: Capt Hoop] #11237896 11/22/15 03:27 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Those are some great looking fish. That will be a beautiful mount.

Re: Calm before the front hit [Re: Capt Hoop] #11239271 11/23/15 03:24 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Calm before the front hit [Re: Capt Hoop] #11242283 11/24/15 07:42 PM
P
Perchy Perch Offline
Angler
Angler
P
That sure is a purty red.

-John
Re: Calm before the front hit [Re: Capt Hoop] #11243008 11/25/15 01:19 AM
C
Capt Hoop Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks guys. Had them for Monday and half day Tuesday. Outstanding trips. Reports to follow.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide