Forums59
Topics1,037,799
Posts13,934,688
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241204 11/24/15 03:06 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
If you tell a lot of people about a small area or small body of water and they fish it a lot there is a good chance the extra pressure could shut the fish down.

Smaller lakes that the news gets out someone is whacking them there do this regularly. The exception is a lake like Athens where there are more fish per acre than many lakes. Also having a lake with a good fish population and abundant cover like grass can also weather the storm. With a huge fish population there will be many more schools of fish that move in and out of areas that are fresh and will still bite relatively easily.

Change up what you are doing if you told whomever exactly what you are doing to catch fish and a lot of the time you can start catching them again...

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241403 11/24/15 08:56 AM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
I told you bro, same thing happened to me except I had to confront some guys for using throw nets and literally keeping everything they caught. There seems to be a new generation of fisherman who cant put the concept together that if they take the fish out of a small body of water today there will be less tomorrow....then theyll be back on the forum trying to find new places to ruin. I moved out of plano and I still wont give away my holes and thats exactly why I can catch monsters any day of the week most of the times with absolutely no pressure

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241422 11/24/15 11:32 AM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
This is one of the main reasons why Private Water Fishing exists.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Douglas J] #11241432 11/24/15 11:50 AM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Ok, ya'll have taught me some truisms. Fish eat AND fish move!
Given this added pressure, then Squaw Creek is in trouble. Right?/Wrong?
I've no reason to doubt this, but ya'll's opinion?
God Bless

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
If you tell a lot of people about a small area or small body of water and they fish it a lot there is a good chance the extra pressure could shut the fish down.

Smaller lakes that the news gets out someone is whacking them there do this regularly. The exception is a lake like Athens where there are more fish per acre than many lakes. Also having a lake with a good fish population and abundant cover like grass can also weather the storm. With a huge fish population there will be many more schools of fish that move in and out of areas that are fresh and will still bite relatively easily.

Change up what you are doing if you told whomever exactly what you are doing to catch fish and a lot of the time you can start catching them again...

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Lee in Texas] #11241485 11/24/15 12:39 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Ok, ya'll have taught me some truisms. Fish eat AND fish move!
Given this added pressure, then Squaw Creek is in trouble. Right?/Wrong?
I've no reason to doubt this, but ya'll's opinion?
God Bless

[quote=Doug R.]
Squaw Creek was a prime example of fish becoming "educated" after it initially REOPENED in 2010 after the 911 closing. Guys were literally just going down any bank and catching lots of fish. Everybody-Everywhere! The fish quickly became harder to catch. Not hard, just harder as in not automatic. "Educated" fish often require people to "fish" not just "catch". At 3200 + acres with 100+ boats on it for only three days a week only during cooler months and then almost nobody fishing it for 1/2 the year during the warmer months....Squaw Creek will be fine. What I have noticed over the last 5 years since reopening is that in spite of the pressure(or because of harvesting) that I'm catching more larger fish than before.

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241542 11/24/15 01:21 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
What would be interesting is to have someone, assuming the data are available, to post the tournament results at Squaw Creek over the past several years. It seems to me that somewhere around winning bags of 30 lbs. is quite common with the top 5 or so always weighing in pretty good bags, too.

Just generally speaking and assuming the food supply is really good, the less bass in the lake, the faster the remaining fish will grow. So, you see private water lakes actively culling fish of a certain size to promote bigger ones.

Aquariums are like this, too: the fish living in them will grow to sizes limited by space and competition. 5 gallon aquariums? Fish stay relatively small; 50 gallon ones? most species will grow larger.

All lakes have an optimal biomass and I suppose the ideal would be to balance big fish (quality) with decent numbers of fish (quantity). Lake management can alter the blend quite a bit.

Brad

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: YAKaddict] #11241567 11/24/15 01:41 PM
B
Bass Junkie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: YAKaddict
I told you bro, same thing happened to me except I had to confront some guys for using throw nets and literally keeping everything they caught. There seems to be a new generation of fisherman who cant put the concept together that if they take the fish out of a small body of water today there will be less tomorrow....then theyll be back on the forum trying to find new places to ruin.

Many times I have seen moist posteriors cast net with multiple nets on our waterway that is less then 10 feet across and just leave the trash fish on the bank to die. This also goes on at Fayette that is why I presume the shallow bite isn't as good as it used to be. Using a cast net, other than catching bait fish for the body of water you are fishing in should be prohibited.

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241604 11/24/15 02:00 PM
TallBaldCypress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Bovine
I went fishing today in my favorite creek. I can always catch 4or5 good sized ones at a minimum. Did not see a single bass there today.... (Very very clear water there.)
I'm guessing a few fellas that I told about it did not catch and release, or opened their mouths and word traveled.....

What creek? lolz

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Brad R] #11241626 11/24/15 02:10 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted By: Brad R
What would be interesting is to have someone, assuming the data are available, to post the tournament results at Squaw Creek over the past several years. It seems to me that somewhere around winning bags of 30 lbs. is quite common with the top 5 or so always weighing in pretty good bags, too.

Just generally speaking and assuming the food supply is really good, the less bass in the lake, the faster the remaining fish will grow. So, you see private water lakes actively culling fish of a certain size to promote bigger ones.

Aquariums are like this, too: the fish living in them will grow to sizes limited by space and competition. 5 gallon aquariums? Fish stay relatively small; 50 gallon ones? most species will grow larger.

All lakes have an optimal biomass and I suppose the ideal would be to balance big fish (quality) with decent numbers of fish (quantity). Lake management can alter the blend quite a bit.

Brad

30 is rare I know of 2 over 30 in the last year and that's it. Now 25-26 happens all the time.

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241665 11/24/15 02:27 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
How long have you been bass fishing man?

I agree that this is a stupid assumption. The fish could have moved for all sorts of reasons, or simply been in a funk. You can be in an area loaded with bass and it doesn't mean you're going to get them to bite. This happens all the time.

Last edited by shotgunwilly; 11/24/15 02:27 PM.
Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Frank the Tank] #11241671 11/24/15 02:31 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Yep, people can't keep quiet, that's why I never say a word. If you want a spot, go find you own spots.

I don't mind sharing patterns and information on bigger lakes like Rayburn, Fork, or Toledo Bend. And, I'll tell my friends and fellow bass club members exactly what I caught them on, how I was fishing it, what I thought were the keys to the bite, and most of the time exactly where they were. But small lakes, and on the internet? Do people who do that really want to tell 100,000 people to come over and fish their local 1,000 acre lake?

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241726 11/24/15 02:54 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Its funny to me how people think they "discovered" a honey hole in the metro mess.

There is nothing that has not been fished a million times by a million guys over the years.

You are not Christopher Columbus, you and your buddies you told are the not the only ones who know about your spot I bet you anything, and I doubt "your" fish were fished out unless there was like 5 of them.

Probably just an off day.

Go back and let us know how you do.

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241796 11/24/15 03:28 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
....people are saying maybe the fish moved...ive seen people throw bread in the water , get all the bluegills to come to a area throw a net and fill a bucket up with bass , bluegill , and catfish if one gets caught...the area is about 40x40yds. Repeat this throughout the summer and what do you get? I used to catch hogs in plano , now I have to go to lewisville or texoma , no more driving 2 minutes down the street , now I have to have a offday and about -1hour each way if I want to fish

Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Razorback] #11241925 11/24/15 04:38 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Razorback
Do people who do that really want to tell 100,000 people to come over and fish their local 1,000 acre lake?

Well my take on it is, people who do not have the ability to find fish somewhere to catch want to get "advice" on exactly where to go to catch fish. It's everywhere.

Just do a search and see how many people post on here bashing anyone who won't share where they are catching fish.

#MFGA
Re: Now I remember why you dont tell people about your spot. [Re: Bovine] #11241989 11/24/15 05:07 PM
Fishinfellow Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
troll

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide