Print Thread
Hunting and fishing, in the same general area #11225054 11/15/15 06:45 PM
P
pelageo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Considering a late fall river trip. As I listen to heavy gunfire across the Brazos valley, I am reconsidering. I'm thinking it must be a rare occurrence (kind of like getting struck by lightening) that a paddler gets shot during hunting season-don't hear of such things in the news. I suppose it could be that most paddlers are smart enough to stay out of the woods in Nov-Dec. But I don't hunt and don't have a clue what a responsible hunter is thinking when the prize walks by. So for the hunter/paddlers, are there unwritten rules about firing along a remote river terrace not knowing what is beyond in the water (or the other bank for that matter)?

Last edited by pelageo; 11/15/15 06:50 PM.
Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11225482 11/15/15 09:15 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
You should only run into duck hunters. If you see their decoy set out just paddle by quickly is the courteous thing to do. They should be shooting up towards the birds so I'd say the likelihood of you being shot is low. If you run into deer hunters while kayak fishing you're doing something wrong.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11225608 11/15/15 10:30 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
If they r poaching they might fire your direction and bolt.

Hearing distant gunfire while fishing is common.
Ive been fired at while fishing b4 On Lewisville. Hasnt happened in a loooong time but u never know what they r doing, exactly what they r shootin at or their state of mind. Believe it or not some people get off sending projectils your way. Just leave and call the GW if u feel they r poaching or u heard or caught projectiles. Their number is on the back of your fish lic. If I see decoys I wont enter unless they wave me through. Im not gonna fish where someone Is hunting. Just not worth the risk In my mind. Now, U r allowed to defend yourself If they r firing at u. Just understand that u are at an extreme disadvantage to retaliate while on the water, especially when u cant see them.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11226664 11/16/15 02:56 PM
C
cchoww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
You might want to check the lakes you fish and just determine what areas hunting is allowed. I know Lewisville and Grapevine have set areas for duck hunters. If you are weary of fishing around hunters, just find a spot where hunting is off limits. If I remember I will post both Lewisville and Grapevine hunting maps on this thread.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: H.Town_paddler] #11228393 11/17/15 04:15 AM
P
pelageo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: N.Tex_paddler
You should only run into duck hunters. If you see their decoy set out just paddle by quickly is the courteous thing to do. They should be shooting up towards the birds so I'd say the likelihood of you being shot is low. If you run into deer hunters while kayak fishing you're doing something wrong.

I paddle the Brazos a lot and always see deer along the banks. I guess my assumption was some opportunistic hunter with a riverfront lease might try to pick them off at a crossing.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11230967 11/18/15 02:47 PM
G
G Love Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
At the coast, it showers steel this time of year. I've never been too worried about it. I was shot at one time, at LAKE WORTH. I was in an airboat. Apparently, they weren't fans. To the point of discharging a firearm.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11233341 11/19/15 07:28 PM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Good topic was talking with a buddy of mine about this the other day. I fish and hunt both, for those who don't duck hunt just remember.. If you are within I'd say 300yds of the decoys you are "screwing up" their hunt. No duck will come near them when they see something else like a boat of kayak in the vicinity. It's not like fishing where you can roll up next to someone and both still catch fish thumb

Also duck hunters are probably one of the most irritable groups on the planet, but fortunately most are done by about 10am. Everyone be safe!

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: Resh] #11234929 11/20/15 06:57 PM
S
stewage Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Reshelman
Good topic was talking with a buddy of mine about this the other day. I fish and hunt both, for those who don't duck hunt just remember.. If you are within I'd say 300yds of the decoys you are "screwing up" their hunt. No duck will come near them when they see something else like a boat of kayak in the vicinity. It's not like fishing where you can roll up next to someone and both still catch fish thumb

Also duck hunters are probably one of the most irritable groups on the planet, but fortunately most are done by about 10am. Everyone be safe!

I was out on Lewisville in the Hickory Creek area around 4pm the other day and a duck hunter started letting loose the cannons. I saw shot splashing all around my kayak, never did see any ducks though.

I guess I know why that was happening now!

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11235022 11/20/15 08:28 PM
F
Federale Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I've encountered lots of duck hunters on the Brazos. They have all been courteous and understand that there is only so much distance you can give them on the river.

I would not be concerned about deer hunters.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11237423 11/22/15 04:02 AM
C
Csantanna Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
It is illegal to interfere with lawfull hunting, so if you fish near a duck hunter to the point that birds will not fly to the decoys because of you, the game warden can issue you a citation. Paddle past quickly and as far away as possible, don't stop to fish and you will be fine.

I once had a wade fisherman come within 50 yards of my blind once, we kept hunting and since the birds would not come in and fly high past we took long high shots, well he was in the pellet landing zone. He did not like it and called the game warden. 30 minutes later he left with a fine.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: Csantanna] #11237651 11/22/15 07:22 AM
S
stewage Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Csantanna
It is illegal to interfere with lawfull hunting, so if you fish near a duck hunter to the point that birds will not fly to the decoys because of you, the game warden can issue you a citation. Paddle past quickly and as far away as possible, don't stop to fish and you will be fine.

I once had a wade fisherman come within 50 yards of my blind once, we kept hunting and since the birds would not come in and fly high past we took long high shots, well he was in the pellet landing zone. He did not like it and called the game warden. 30 minutes later he left with a fine.

Shot landing zone is no problem, I fear bird shot falling from the sky less than I fear bird droppings falling from the sky.
Intentionally taking shots at a fisherman because you don't want to share the water is a different story, in my case, a high traffic area in the most popular water around.

Also, the law states "No person may intentionally interfere with another person engaged in yadda yadda". -- a direct quote wink
I never even saw hunters around me, had no idea they were there until shot started landing.

If he was within 50 yards, you could have tried explaining it to him, as a non duck hunter, I never would have known this to be an issue.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: Csantanna] #11238538 11/22/15 09:07 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Csantanna

Don't let an inconsiderate fisherman turn you into a sky blaster.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11240506 11/23/15 10:06 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: pelageo
Considering a late fall river trip. As I listen to heavy gunfire across the Brazos valley, I am reconsidering...But I don't hunt and don't have a clue what a responsible hunter is thinking...

There are three waterfowl hunting zones in Texas including the High Plains, North and South Zones; the long Brazos spans all three zones. What may be of interest to you is the open waterfowl hunting season in each zone is actually split by a mid-season break creating an early and late regionally specific hunting season.

If youd like to avoid an encounter with waterfowl hunters during a late fall paddling trip consider planning a trip sometime during the break in waterfowl hunting from November 30 through December 11 by limiting your trip to a favorite waterway in just the North and or South Waterfowl Zones. In 2015, both North and South Waterfowl Zones close to hunting November 30 through December 11 before reopening.

The waterfowl season has already reopened from an earlier break in the High Plains Zone and after the upcoming midseason break, the North and South Zone season reopens for hunting on December 12. If planning early winter paddle trips, the High Plains and North Zones waterfowl season runs through the end of January while the South Zone closes on January 24.

From the perspective of a lifelong fisherman, avid waterfowl conservationist and paddler, when paddling in or near designated waterfowl hunting areas during open waterfowl hunting season Id suggest an abundance of caution in low or no light conditions. It surprises some not familiar with waterfowl hunting regulations that duck hunters are allowed to legally shoot 30 minutes before official sunrise and unfortunately it seems to never fail that many shoot well before legal shooting time.

The magical tranquil predawn moments as constellations fade and fish begin to rise is interrupted during waterfowl season with an overabundance of unnaturally loud and off-key waterfowl cluck and quack sounds. With the sun well below the horizon, wing sounds of early flights landing trigger shots at duck shadows; mostly missing. The real danger is to dogs and decoys as tenderfoot hunters swing shotguns lower and lower chasing landing ducks, not realizing theyre firing their last shots into the water. Early light is not the safest time to be downrange in a kayak.

Regarding mindset, many duck hunters on public water have an elevated sense of entitlement when it comes to their rights vs other sportsmens rights. The sense of entitlement seems to multiply according to the lack of sleep, amount of effort put into finding, scouting and getting to their secret honey hole; a location no doubt so secret only Google Earth and Facebook friends know about it.

Lord help the novice sportsman enjoying a morning on the water, fishing or paddling, that doesnt notice a well-hidden duck blind and is actually fooled into thinking the loud, unnatural quacking sounds and decoys are actually waterfowl. This unfortunate mistake as noted above in other posts often results in a storm of pellets raining down on your location. The unfortunate fact is many public duck hunters dont think twice about intentionally peppering other hunters or fishermen with shot and most would never consider it reckless behavior or assault with a deadly weapon; although they proudly pepper with intent and delight.

For additional insight into the mind of some public duck hunters, here is a link to a three page thread worth reading where Brazos Valley educated duck hunters openly debate shooting toward other sportsmen, while others advocate just swamping slower or anchored boats that have the nerve to get too close to their public hunting spot. Its a well-rounded thread that features both responsible and irresponsible hunters you may encounter during a late fall or early winter paddle trip. Its not the responsible or sensible hunters that you need to worry about crossing paths with...

Safe paddling,

Blue Moon

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: pelageo] #11241347 11/24/15 04:32 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Isn't the idea to acctually catch some fish?
Personally i think i'd find it at least difficult to focus or enjoy the fishing experience in the "same general area".
Again, hearing distant gun fire outside city limits while fishing is common to me.

Re: Hunting and fishing, in the same general area [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11241434 11/24/15 11:51 AM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I feel horrible every time I have to paddle through a field of decoys but when fishing a moving river, there are no other options. I never launch before day break during duck season for my own safety. When I do encounter that field of decoys, I paddle around them as fast as possible as stated above. Most hunters are understanding but occasionally you run across one that gets completely offended that you ruined his hunt...... flame

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide