Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11218361 11/11/15 04:02 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Catch me if you can!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: Douglas J] #11218611 11/11/15 05:45 PM
B
BThomas Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I guess if your LED lights are not OEM they are not legal?

That's what I gather. This is more of a safety issue. It's amazing the amount of douche baggery on the TFF.
You relay information and the stupidity rises to the top. People were warned when adding these lights to their
boats.

If you have a boat with white or blue bright leds around the bow. How is the oncoming boat(s) to know
if they are the stand down boat or not. I guess safety does not pertain to some. You would hope the
other boats on the lake know the laws/rules of boat safety.

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11218645 11/11/15 05:57 PM
nxt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.

Mac
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11218888 11/11/15 08:01 PM
J
JimmyP Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I fish quite a bit at night in the summer during the heat. I know I have to turn my graph lights down to nearly off to keep them from blinding me. I can just imagine how one lit up like a Christmas Tree would hamper sight. Last year there was 34 people killed in boating accidents and 22 the year before. Anything that can cause the lessening of vision should be outlawed. Common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone's garden, hence the need for Law Enforcement. My right to safety over rules your right to look cool. Thanks for the info BThomas.

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11218937 11/11/15 08:33 PM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
If you're running with anything but red and green nav lights and your white stern light you shouldn't be doing that anyway...... If they start writing tickets because you've installed more affective nav lights.....well God Bless America!!! Plenty to do out there without being feather legged as we always said sarcastic

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11218942 11/11/15 08:37 PM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Now....if I have deck lights on while I'm getting ready to fish and then green lights under the rub rail lighting the water when I am fishing, it's no different than hanging Coleman's off the side....I didn't ever get harrased for that as I recall..... Let's have some damn common sense

Walt Whitman
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219054 11/11/15 09:35 PM
G
greenen Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
I've got the red/green leds up front but still have the plug-in mast light. Problem with where I fish is there are never any GWs ticketing the guys running with no lights at all.

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: txmasterpo] #11219087 11/11/15 09:54 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
Now....if I have deck lights on while I'm getting ready to fish and then green lights under the rub rail lighting the water when I am fishing, it's no different than hanging Coleman's off the side....I didn't ever get harrased for that as I recall..... Let's have some damn common sense

There were a few tickets given out on Lake Austin the past couple of years by APD for aftermarket lights while on pad on the lake.

Caused of a lot of unrest on the Wednesday nighters out there but laws are laws. Red and Green up front and White in the back that can be seen in all directions.

It is the best way to tell if a boat is coming or going. Safety first.

If you aren't moving you can have your green lights and rub rail lights on as far as I know, no one was ticketed for that.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219118 11/11/15 10:11 PM
Waco Crappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm not taking my lights down for anyone. They can write a ticket if they like but I certainly have seen the game warden roll up with his spotlight shining on me and I can't see sh!t. Besides I fish up rivers at night and lights are a must in order to see.

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219139 11/11/15 10:24 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I don't read a problem with deck lights within reason, it isn't the point of having extra lights. I think it is those with wrap-arounds that are the main problem. I have seen a boat with green LED strip lights on all sides of the boat running down the lake. No way to tell anything about coming or going.

Yes, they talk about luminocity and coast guard approval. What, are they going to give light meters to all game wardens and/or COE employees? I think not, be sensible, and trust that the systems work. Meet the letter and spirit of the law, and use extra lights with extreme caution not while running with the potential of drowning out the 'real' navigation lights.

Last edited by David Burton; 11/11/15 10:25 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219183 11/11/15 10:46 PM
T
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
I think it's more a detriment to the driver of the "lit up" boat..... If you run into a boat lit up like a Christmas tree you're an idiot

Walt Whitman
Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: txmasterpo] #11219193 11/11/15 10:52 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
I think it's more a detriment to the driver of the "lit up" boat..... If you run into a boat lit up like a Christmas tree you're an idiot

roflmao

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219338 11/12/15 12:06 AM
03svtsnakevert Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
All the late night bow fisherman are out of a job...lol no lights for you

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219417 11/12/15 12:38 AM
T
Terry W. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: BThomas
Guys may want to be careful on pimping your boats with non factor lighting.

USCG just issued this safety alert on November 4, 2015

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1015.pdf

The U.S. Coast Guard is concerned about the sale and
availability of unapproved recreational and commercial
vessel navigation lights. Purchasers of such lighting
should be aware replacement lighting may be improper for
its application due to the failure by manufacturers to meet
technical certification requirements. Furthermore, technical
advances in marine lighting, such as the use of Light
Emitting Diodes (LEDs), rope lighting, underwater lighting,
and other various types of decorative lighting, may violate
navigation light provisions of the Nautical Rules of the
Road.

The requirements for all navigation lights aboard vessels are prescribed in
Rules 20, 21, 22 and Annex I of the Rules of the Road, which is the Convention
on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (72 COLREGS) or
the Inland Navigation Rules (33 CFR Subchapter E).

Specifications for lights vary depending upon the type of vessel but regardless of the light source (i.e., in-
candescent filament or LED):

[*] Recreational vessel and uninspected commercial vessel navigation lights must meet American
Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) standard A-16, in accordance with specifications within
33 CFR 183.810 and 46 CFR 25.10-3, respectively.

[*] Commercial inspected vessels must be outfitted with navigation lights that meet or exceed Under-
writers Laboratories standard UL 1104, as stated in the specifications of
46 CFR 111.75 -17.

Some manufacturers are producing and distributing navigation lights that do not meet the certification
requirements indicated above. These lights are typically less expensive, making them a tempting choice
for uniformed consumers. Use of lights that do not provide the proper chromaticity, luminous intensity, or
cut-off angles could result in the issuance of a notice of violation or potentially cause an accident.
Recreational boaters should ensure each purchased navigation light contains the following information on the light or its packaging:

USCG Approval 33 CFR 183.810
MEETS ABYC A-16 or equivalent
TESTED BY (an approved laboratory)
Name of the light manufacturer
Number of Model
Visibility of the light in nautical miles
Date on which the light was type-tested
Identification and specification of the bulb used in the compliance test.
Inspections and Compliance Directorate
LEDs under rub rail surrounding vessel.
SAFETY ALERT 10-15

Boaters should be concerned about installing decorative lighting on their boats in various places,
including underwater, on the rubrail, or just above the waterline. Care must be taken that these lights:

* cannot be mistaken for navigation lights,
* do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of approved and properly placed navigation lights,and * do not interfere with the operators ability to maintain a proper lookout.

Such circumstances may represent a violation of Rule 20. Rule 20 specifies that only those lights prescribed, or those that dont interfere with those prescribed, may be used. Haphazard installation of additional lighting must be avoided. A violation can occur if the installation of additional lights can be construed as a light required by the Rules for another vessel. For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement vessels per 33 CFR 88.05.

Rule 21 provides the definitions for the masthead
light, sidelights, sternlight, towing light, all-round
lights or task lights, and flashing or special flashing
lights. Task lights are those lights which place the
vessel in a special condition (e.g., all-round red over
white over red for a vessel with restricted
maneuverability).

Rule 22 provides for the intensity requirements of each light, per vessel size, so that they may be seen at a minimum range. Annex I of the Rules, specifies the vertical and horizontal spacing of each of the required lights both in relation to the vessel hull and with respect to other navigation lights. Compliance with the provisions of Annex I ensures the light is properly mounted for its intended purpose. The proper installation of any light is critical to it being U.S. Coast Guard Approved, as required by Annex I (COLREGs, paragraph 14 and Inland, 33 CFR 84.20). The Coast Guard strongly recommends that:

boaters avoid purchase and installation of any light that does not present the required certification
data, and retailers advise their customers to purchase certified navigation lights.

This Safety Alert is provided for informational purposes only and does not relieve any domestic or
international safety, operational, or material requirement. This Alert has been developed by the U.S.
Coast Guards Headquarters Offices of Navigation Systems, Auxiliary and Boating Safety, and Investigations
and Casualty Analysis. For questions or concerns, please email cgnav@uscg.mil

Lost me about 10 sentences in !!

Re: After market lights on boats. [Re: BThomas] #11219463 11/12/15 12:56 AM
Capt Jerry Offline
Angler
Angler
There are obviously a lot of posters here that never run in USCG-regulated waters. Should you run the coastal waters or the major navigable rivers (Mississippi, Tennessee, Red, Ohio, etc.), the USCG rules will apply and be enforced.

If you never leave the lake, then I assume whatever the TPWD officer decides will dictate the rules. But you cannot go wrong with the USCG rules.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide