texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11215721 11/10/15 02:06 AM
JoshJones1984 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I haven't taken but a couple of guided trips in my life. So, I'm not sure what is considered "customary." That said, if I'm not having to pay for the trip then I'd definitely tip well above the average.

6 years in the Air Force working on F-15's
New and Pre-owned sales at James Wood Autopark
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Guide tip? [Re: Andrew Y'Barbo] #11215886 11/10/15 03:25 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
Originally Posted By: Nutman
what does it matter whether you paid for the trip or not ?
The guide donated it.
You bought tickets or entered said event & won the trip.
Tip according to the service and the fish the guide put you on.
if he fishes don't tip so much, Nothing worse than a guide catching a BIG fish you might have caught had he not been fishing. Tip good if he instructs and puts you on fish. The more fish the more of a tip.
The last guide trip I went on, before we fished, I let the guide know what I expected for my money and set a "tip range" based on the number and size of the fish I caught.
Tips are for "services rendered"

Him donating his time should be even more bases for tipping better. Secondly, I have never heard of not wanting your guide to fish. 3rd with a attitude like that with your tip range. I'm surprised you didn't catch 3 kentuckys in 8hrs.

How do you know this guy hasn't already pay to win a ticket or paid to enter a tournament to win. The guide donated his time and something was sold to make money for a good cause this guy is not obligated to make up the guides salary because he won a trip. He should tip based off of the performance of the guide on the day he fishes. A good tip is the same 15 to 20% is always a good number for any tip. I would think if he has a day of a life time he MAY want to give more but he has NO obligation to pay more. just my .02

Goof Luck on your trip either way I hope you catch a DD

Re: Guide tip? [Re: Ken A.] #11215993 11/10/15 05:51 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
If you give him $200 for two days as a tip he will be very grateful, I am sure.

This sounds very fair.

If I'm paying for a guide trip I tip AT LEAST $60 if I was satisfied, but usually more than that. And I've never had a trip I didn't feel it was worth tipping the guide. I've been real lucky in that regard.

If it was a free trip I'd feel uncomfortable not tipping at least $100 per day.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: Andrew Y'Barbo] #11216071 11/10/15 12:14 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
The guide donated it.
if he fishes don't tip so much, Nothing worse than a guide catching a BIG fish you might have caught had he not been fishing. Tip good if he instructs and puts you on fish. The more fish the more of a tip.
The last guide trip I went on, before we fished, I let the guide know what I expected for my money and set a "tip range" based on the number and size of the fish I caught.

Him donating his time should be even more bases for tipping better. Secondly, I have never heard of not wanting your guide to fish. 3rd with a attitude like that with your tip range. I'm surprised you didn't catch 3 kentuckys in 8hrs.

I don't know why "him" donating his time should be cause for a customer to tip more.
That was his decision to "donate", not yours.
I don't get "extra" when I donate cases of nuts to a cause or benefit.....but I also don't expect extra --- it was my decision to donate product for whatever reason I had.

The idea of a guide not fishing,,,well I guess you have heard of it now. It is more prevalent than you think. I think there are a lot of clients that would rather their guide just guide and not fish, but are hesitant about saying that, because it is customary for a bass fishing guide to fish. PLUS,,,, they get somebody like you saying what a bad "attitude" they have for expressing that opinion.
BUT,,,, Let me ask you the last time you paid $1,000 to go on a bull moose hunt and the guide shot the moose while you watched. Ever go on a marlin fishing trip and the boat captain or first mate hooks up and lands a big fish while you watch, when was the last time you paid big bucks to go to a BIG BUCK ranch and the ranch staff shot your deer for you. Why is bass fishing any different ?
Billy Tompkins, Falcon guide will not fish with his clients unless you ask him to.
David Ozio, Fork & Falcon, said he would not fish unless I asked him to do so. My son and I did quite well with him. By-the-way,,,even though we had a pre-arranged tip agreement with Ozio based on the number and size of fish he put us on at FORK, he was tipped quite well. I don't have a problem with tipping for good service,,,,,but it should be for just that, good service. Not just because we fished for a day.
a guide needs to charge what they need to in order to cover expenses and make a living,,,whatever it is,,,,but tipping is for the experience.
The guides I have fished with have been quite happy with my tips,,,,$$$$ & NUTS,, but they were all pre-arranged, the guide did not fish & they provided excellent service.
PLUS,,,,,Everyone had a great time, including the guides.

Last edited by Nutman; 11/10/15 12:25 PM.
Re: Guide tip? [Re: Nutman] #11216294 11/10/15 02:42 PM
K
ksalmon Offline
Angler
Angler
K
The guide donated it.

I don't know why "him" donating his time should be cause for a customer to tip more.
That was his decision to "donate", not yours.
I don't get "extra" when I donate cases of nuts to a cause or benefit.....but I also don't expect extra --- it was my decision to donate product for whatever reason I had.

The idea of a guide not fishing,,,well I guess you have heard of it now. It is more prevalent than you think. I think there are a lot of clients that would rather their guide just guide and not fish, but are hesitant about saying that, because it is customary for a bass fishing guide to fish. PLUS,,,, they get somebody like you saying what a bad "attitude" they have for expressing that opinion.
BUT,,,, Let me ask you the last time you paid $1,000 to go on a bull moose hunt and the guide shot the moose while you watched. Ever go on a marlin fishing trip and the boat captain or first mate hooks up and lands a big fish while you watch, when was the last time you paid big bucks to go to a BIG BUCK ranch and the ranch staff shot your deer for you. Why is bass fishing any different ?
Billy Tompkins, Falcon guide will not fish with his clients unless you ask him to.
David Ozio, Fork & Falcon, said he would not fish unless I asked him to do so. My son and I did quite well with him. By-the-way,,,even though we had a pre-arranged tip agreement with Ozio based on the number and size of fish he put us on at FORK, he was tipped quite well. I don't have a problem with tipping for good service,,,,,but it should be for just that, good service. Not just because we fished for a day.
a guide needs to charge what they need to in order to cover expenses and make a living,,,whatever it is,,,,but tipping is for the experience.
The guides I have fished with have been quite happy with my tips,,,,$$$$ & NUTS,, but they were all pre-arranged, the guide did not fish & they provided excellent service.
PLUS,,,,,Everyone had a great time, including the guides.

I think you are spot on actually. Every fish the guide catches is one less I am going to catch. My tip starts at 20% and goes up or down from there based on service.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11216433 11/10/15 03:48 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I almost prefer the guide to fish, sparingly. We find out of fish are there and it is just my presentation that is off.

I would be just a little more generous on a free trip than a paid one just because it is how I am. What I wouldn't tip would be based on number and size. He has no control over the fish biting or not. More than likely if he can locate them and you don't catch it is your presentation problem. Maybe if the guide was also fishing, he'd show you how to catch them

Re: Guide tip? [Re: Nutman] #11216446 11/10/15 03:53 PM
Rob Lay Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

some people have empathy, some don't.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11216753 11/10/15 06:55 PM
S
snickers Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I tip more if he cleans all my fish and gets all the bones out.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11216842 11/10/15 07:31 PM
F
Fish AKA Jerry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Nutman, I agree with your pre-arranged tip. If I were on a donated trip to Fork I would give the guide $100 up front and tell him that's to cover expenses.Then I would tip him a the end of the day depending on the trip.A great trip I would tip him $300 and as little as $50 for a slow trip.I also would pre-arrange this with the guide.Don't go if you are expecting something for nothing.

FREYED KNOT

Re: Guide tip? [Re: Fish AKA Jerry] #11216903 11/10/15 08:10 PM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
A great trip I would tip him $300 and as little as $50 for a slow trip.I also would pre-arrange this with the guide.Don't go if you are expecting something for nothing.

So why do you tip more for a great trip and less for a slow trip? If the guide works just as hard on both trips shouldn't he deserve the same tip? You tip the guide for how much work you think he put in it not how good the fish bit.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11217691 11/11/15 03:30 AM
F
Fish AKA Jerry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
For the same reason I wouldn't tip a chef as much when his eggs benedict didn't turn out so great.Sure it was just as much work for him.But you don't get rewarded as much for failure as you do for success. Welcome to the real world....

FREYED KNOT

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11217749 11/11/15 04:04 AM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I've never been on a guide trip or thought about it... Heck I didn't even know your supposed tip.

Mcurtain county okie
Re: Guide tip? [Re: Fish AKA Jerry] #11218439 11/11/15 04:55 PM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry
For the same reason I wouldn't tip a chef as much when his eggs benedict didn't turn out so great.Sure it was just as much work for him.But you don't get rewarded as much for failure as you do for success. Welcome to the real world....

Funny, you just compared a chef that has complete control of what he cooks to a guide that has no control if fish bite. Welcome back to the real world......

Re: Guide tip? [Re: jimmye123] #11218490 11/11/15 05:11 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Yeah the guide is a waitress and fish the chef. I never tip the chef. I tip the waitress on quality of service. They have no control of quality of food. If he works hard and goes the extra mile he gets rewarded for the effort. If he parks the boat, hands you a rod then talks on the phone the entire trip then low tip even if I caught a giant.

Re: Guide tip? [Re: Ken A.] #11218538 11/11/15 05:25 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I am quite sure there will be other opinions tho...

popcorn2

And here come the other opinions....

popcorn

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide