Print Thread
9' vs. 9'6 fly rod #11202416 11/03/15 01:47 AM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Well I miss-handled a sizable Hybrid on the pier tonight and broke my old BassPro Classic 9'8wt rod so I need to replace it....dangbanana. A brand I like has a 9' 6" 8wt rod on sale at a really good price. I have never has a 9'6" before. I mostly use this rod for Clouser type fishing, in the lake, off the pier (when we have water) out of a kayak or bass boat. I'm think the longer rod may have some advantages but I'm concerned about the added weight etc. You're input is requested.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #11202507 11/03/15 02:31 AM
W
wwest Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I don't have any 9'6"s, but several 10' in the upper line weights, i.e. 7-10 to complement the 9'ers. I really like that extra foot from a kayak and float tube or when wading deeper water. My 8wt 10' is an Echo Ion; fell in love with it with the first cast out of my yak. Light enough to cast all day, well built but not a piece of jewelry and doesn't cost a house payment. A rocket, but very forgiving for a fast rod. It's my "go-to" yak rod for hunting striper and hybrid. Hope that's helpful. cool

In this life there is fly fishing and tying...and then there is all that other stuff in between that doesn't matter.

Will
Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #11202829 11/03/15 01:02 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
With today's blanks the weight difference between a 9' rod and a 9'6" rod should be nearly nothing. Some prefer a longer rod and some don't; the only real issue I see in your case is landing fish in a kayak, where a longer rod could be a bit more of a detriment. But if a 9 footer has worked for you there I doubt a 9 1/2 footer would cause any insurmountable problems.

Broken rods are just nature's way of providing us with new toys. Reap the bounty........

Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: Jim Ford] #11203128 11/03/15 03:33 PM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

<snip>
Broken rods are just nature's way of providing us with new toys. Reap the bounty........

Jim,
That looks like a tagline waiting to happen, lol. I like it!

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #11203326 11/03/15 05:19 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Well, ya gotta look at the bright side! Glad you like it. I'm sure it didn't occur to me right after I broke a rod.

Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: Zip-ur-Fly] #11203540 11/03/15 07:21 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Here are some of my opinions concerning rod length.

Here are a few Long rod benefits:

Distance - the longer rod will carry more line in the air and you can make longer distance casts with the longer rod.
Roll Cast - The longer rod will roll cast more line and will be easier to make long distance roll casts.
Mends and general Line Management - The longer rod can be used to pick up more line off the water which means you can mend more line more easily. You can also cover more water using high stick nymphing style techniques.
Bottom line - Long rods can just flat move a lot more line than a short rod.

A few Short Rod benefits include:

Accuracy - It is easier to be very precise with accurate fly placement with a shorter rod.
Lighter/easier to cast all day - OK, the total weight may not be much different between the rods, but the longer lever of the longer rod does put more physical stress on the caster and will be more tiring as the day goes on. The effect of a longer rod is more obvious with younger casters, longer rods wear them out quicker.
Convenience - It is easier to manage a shorter rod. It is easier to do things such as land a fish with the shorter rod. They can be easier to use in tight places such as streams with a lot of tree cover.

Controversial Opinion:
Personally, I don't agree with the opinion that longer rods keep the line off the water better when you are low to the water such as fishing from a kayak or float tube. Most of my "fishing" casts are more side arm than overhead anyway and the rod length does not influence if the line will hit the water on the backcast or not. But, that's just my opinion.

Another opinion; if you are looking at an 8 wt, then you are probably not worried about nymphing or long drifts, so that means the primary benefit of a longer rod would be Distance. Are you needing more distance where you are fishing? A standard 9 8 wt already has a pretty good distance range especially with a heavy fly such as a Clouser.

I had a 96 7 wt and I used to fish with it a lot, but Ive found that I enjoy casting and fishing all day with a 9 rod. It is less tiring with the shorter rod. However, if we start talking trout rods and moving water and nymphing techniques, then the discussion of rod length changes, just ask any of the Tenkara folks about using 12 rods.

Good luck with the rod selection. The best advice I can offer is to go cast both rods using the same line and pick the one you like best.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: 9' vs. 9'6 fly rod [Re: RexW] #11205512 11/04/15 08:00 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Z
Thanks to all who replied.

The weight difference amounted to 1oz no big deal. The 9'6 is on sale for 40% off. New rod is on the way.

I would like to save the old rod for my grandsons to mess with. It's a 2 piece with the male ferrule on the top section. The rod broke about 3" above the ferrule. Any creative solution out there?

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide