Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to prepare for a roll? #11196916 10/31/15 06:59 AM
T
TXsundance Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I've read several places that most will eventually tip their yaks. I'm new to this and want to hear what precautions the veteran yakers take. I'm most worried about losing rods, reels, and lures in case of a roll. I know to wear a good floatation device to keep from drowning. Do you leash all the rods you carry? Use rod floats? I'm paranoid about my Calcutta, Stradic, or Abu ending up at the bottom of the lake.

I'd rather be fishing...
Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11196975 10/31/15 11:50 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Wear a PFD and practice re entry in a lake you know well on a calm day.
Know your limitations and your kayak's limitations
Stay at least 25% under the kayak's weight capacity.
Check the forecast and don't go out in high wind conditions.
If you get surprised by high winds, find a protected cove
Fish with a buddy
Stay centered on your kayak and avoid precarious positions (leaning back and to the side turning around to grab something behind you is not a good position in choppy water)
My guess is that anchoring issues and anchoring mishaps are the #1 source of tipping over inshore. Have a quick release system.

As far as leashing, etc I designed my PVC rod holders with zipties running through the middle of the pvc. These keep my rods in the holders (sometimes too well) My paddle is leashed also.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11197009 10/31/15 12:37 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Different strokes for different folks. Some folks leash everything, including rods. I don't like rod leashes, and rely on floats for conventional rods (which I seldom use). For the fly rods I have Scotty fly rod holders, and I have short lines (about 6"-8") with little carabiners on them tied to the rod holders. On the reel seat I have a short length of line tied between both ends of the reel foot with just enough slack to clip the carabiner to while the rod is in the holder. That will secure the rod if I turtle the boat, but isn't in my way when fishing. I use carabiner bungees to secure my fly bag, water & snack bag, and net to the boat. My paddle is leashed with a string; that doesn't make noise when I drag it on the hull the way most conventional paddle leashes do. Too many lines and leashes can tangle you up in a deep water turtle; be mindful of that. One thing I will do against the advice of the "experts" is bungee myself to the boat when kayaking alone in heavy winds, especially in winter. Having the boat blow away from you in cold water with no help around is not a good survival technique. And in winter, always stow a dry bag with a towel, dry clothing, and lighter (you'll want a fire) in the hull.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11197047 10/31/15 01:10 PM
F
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Always wear PFD. Secure all of your gear. I tried rod leashes but they tangled on everything and were more trouble than they were worth. I either use rod floats or just clip a carabiner to rods that I'm not holding.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11198558 11/01/15 02:50 AM
T
TXsundance Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks all, for the input!

Collincountytx I guess I need to start my diet now! My Ascend is rated at max. capacity of 350lbs. At 225lbs that only leaves me a max. of 37lbs for water, gear, snacks, and any fish I catch to keep to stay 25% under capacity. I'm trying to prioritize what to rig and carry along. I also appreciate the advice regarding anchoring and staking out and getting tangled in leashes, I can see how that could get me in trouble.

I'm hoping the rain stops and I can go out to Inks lake tomorrow to practice turtling it and getting back on. My first trips will be with minimal tackle as I practice standing, moving around in the yak, and paddling.

Thanks again.

I'd rather be fishing...
Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11199340 11/01/15 06:06 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
When ever your not using it get a good habit to put it back, lock it in, clip it, stow it away, strap it down or u will lose it.
Another method some use Is rigging it to float. My paddle, lure, box, cooler, gaff and anchor line all float. Everything else is stowed, locked In, straped or bungeed down.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11200378 11/02/15 01:05 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
My tackle tray is velcroed to the bottom of the kayak. The cooler is tied to a thwart with a rope, extra rods and my paddle each have a leash.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11200696 11/02/15 03:07 AM
T
TXsundance Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
FishZoMbiE, what did you do to make your paddle float. I have a snap together I was thinking of filling it with expandable foam so it would float.

I like the idea of velcro for tackle tray.

I'd rather be fishing...
Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11200923 11/02/15 11:44 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
There's a good chance your paddle already floats. Have you checked? You want to keep it as light as possible; don't foam it if you don't need to.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11201057 11/02/15 01:40 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
OK, I'm going to go against some great opinions, ideas and advice. Keep in mind this is just and only my Opinion.
I start out with a very stable Kayak. When I'm fishing I don't and won't take time for or hassle with straps, floats, bungee's etc. The only thing that I always, always put a float on, is me, I never leave shore without my PFD. I try to be very cautious on the water and if I somehow get the wrong side pointing up and loose a bunch or all of my gear I'm willing to take that chance for convenience and enjoyment while I'm on the water.
I may also just be Lazy!

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: pelican] #11201214 11/02/15 02:50 PM
T
Txwhitacre Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: pelican
OK, I'm going to go against some great opinions, ideas and advice. Keep in mind this is just and only my Opinion.
I start out with a very stable Kayak. When I'm fishing I don't and won't take time for or hassle with straps, floats, bungee's etc. The only thing that I always, always put a float on, is me, I never leave shore without my PFD. I try to be very cautious on the water and if I somehow get the wrong side pointing up and loose a bunch or all of my gear I'm willing to take that chance for convenience and enjoyment while I'm on the water.
I may also just be Lazy!

Thats pretty much My mode. I have never tipped but you never know. I carry a good deal of camera gear too. I could lock the camera way in a pelican box but when the shot comes I won't have it available. So its up to you. Know your yak, know what you are prepared to lose and under what conditions and decide if you can accept that.

If you can't stand to lose anything then strap it all down and float it. Its a freedom vs security thing. Seems those two things are always fighting against each other.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: pelican] #11201220 11/02/15 02:55 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: pelican
I may also just be Lazy!

This is me too. Leashes and floats will protect your gear but the only thing I prepare is me. PFD, the right kayak, watching the weather, and having the right kayak for when the weather turns which it does here in Texas are key to keeping safe.

For you I would protect your gear until you feel confident on the water. I hated leashes and floats for my rods but feel leashes did better. You only deal with them while pulling them out or putting them in the holders. Floats are always on your rods and I just didn't like it. They are good for the times you let one fall over the side that you are using. Done it but a good slab with treble hooks got I back. I would try both to see which you can deal with. Tackle you can add a lid to your crate. The BlackPac by YakAttack is a great crate and already has a lid. Leash your paddle. It will float at least for a while but it can get blown from your lap and you'll just watch it float away. You'll get lazy after a while when you spend months on the water and your kayak become an extension of you rather than a bobbling boat under you. You can prepare all you like but when or if it happens you won't be completely prepared. Just make sure you never get lazy on keeping yourself prepared. That's the only thing that is priceless. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11201353 11/02/15 04:13 PM
T
Txwhitacre Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I did notice yesterday when Deric was cast netting for shad he had a empty kayak. Once he got his shad he went to shore and got his gear.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11201413 11/02/15 04:41 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had a friend who wouldn't leash or put floats on his rods. He never turtled, but he has lost several rods that hung up in overhanging branches and got pulled out of the rod holders. I know one guy who lost a rod when he hooked it and jerked it out of the rod holder while casting another rod. You can lose a rod without turtling.

Re: How to prepare for a roll? [Re: TXsundance] #11201449 11/02/15 04:59 PM
W
weklfrog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
My son was fishing with a friend out in Cali, first time out in the kayak for the friend. The friend hooked a fish, then set his rod down for some reason. Of course, the fish then swam away with the rod. And it was my son's rod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide