Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pescador Pro 120 #11190900 10/28/15 03:54 AM
J
JEH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I currently have a pesky 12 and tired of having a wet rear end all day out on the water. Been waiting for the Pro to hit the stores and it looks like they have finally made it there. It comes with a stadium seat that will help cut down on the chapped cheeks. It's also wider at 32.5" vs. 28". What do y'all think of being able to stand in the Pro?

ACK - Pescador Pro 12.0

I would like to feel it, touch it, smell it before buying, but I'm out in the middle of no-where. Austin would be the nearest option, but it's only a 6 hour drive. I assume it will eventually make it to Academy. I would like to hear the expertise of the TFF on your general thoughts of this yak. Thanks.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11190901 10/28/15 03:55 AM
L
Lane H. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

-L.
Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11191268 10/28/15 01:41 PM
K
KRAPPIE KAT Offline
Angler
Angler
K
I just picked up one of these. Now it doesn't have a stadium seat but my seat doesn't get wet unless I nearly turtle it. I think it would be pretty easy to add a boat seat to it. The prowler is also longer, lighter and has more weight capacity. Just throwing it out there. So far I'm very happy with my ok prowler.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ocean-kayak-prowler-13-134-angler-kayak?repChildCatid=1411541

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Lane H.] #11191426 10/28/15 03:07 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: JEH
I currently have a pesky 12 and tired of having a wet rear end all day out on the water. Been waiting for the Pro to hit the stores and it looks like they have finally made it there. It comes with a stadium seat that will help cut down on the chapped cheeks. It's also wider at 32.5" vs. 28". What do y'all think of being able to stand in the Pro?

ACK - Pescador Pro 12.0

I would like to feel it, touch it, smell it before buying, but I'm out in the middle of no-where. Austin would be the nearest option, but it's only a 6 hour drive. I assume it will eventually make it to Academy. I would like to hear the expertise of the TFF on your general thoughts of this yak. Thanks.

Have you tried to stand up on your original Pescador? Having more beam helps with the ability to stand, but ultimately it's a skill that you need to learn. Hard to say what the characteristics of the hull will be without seeing one in person.

Originally Posted By: Lane H.

Looking at your post history it doesn't appear that you own a kayak, have you paddled the Lure 10?

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Neumie] #11191635 10/28/15 04:49 PM
J
JEH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Neumie

ACK - Pescador Pro 12.0

Have you tried to stand up on your original Pescador? Having more beam helps with the ability to stand, but ultimately it's a skill that you need to learn. Hard to say what the characteristics of the hull will be without seeing one in person.

Looking at your post history it doesn't appear that you own a kayak, have you paddled the Lure 10?

I'm 6'3" & 250 lbs. I really don't think I can stand in it. Being able to stand would be a plus but not a deal breaker. I mainly want to stay dry.

I am having a hard time justifying the cost of another one since I'll only use it 2 - 3 times a year when we go down to the coast. I tend to take the boat on the lakes around here. It looks like Perception picked up their game with the Pro model with some nice features with the price point. I'm open to ideas. Just wanted y'alls thoughts on the specs.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11191674 10/28/15 05:09 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Can't say anything about the kayak but If you're in the Seymour that is close to Wichita Falls then DFW is less than 3 hours. You might be able to get your hands on one with half the drive and time.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11191897 10/28/15 07:02 PM
F
Fadedred Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Looking at the ACK photos it would seem they do not know what boat they have. I'd pretty much have to see it in person. The 32" should be fine to stand in in, as noted it's a skill. A wider one is easier to stand in but a bear to paddle. The tunnel hull and flat bottomed are also easier to stand in.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Fadedred] #11191934 10/28/15 07:21 PM
J
JEH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Fadedred
Looking at the ACK photos it would seem they do not know what boat they have. I'd pretty much have to see it in person. The 32" should be fine to stand in in, as noted it's a skill. A wider one is easier to stand in but a bear to paddle. The tunnel hull and flat bottomed are also easier to stand in.

I noticed that also. One pic is the Pescador 12 and the other pic is the Pro. Thanks for the info.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Todd] #11192286 10/28/15 10:26 PM
J
JEH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: Todd
Can't say anything about the kayak but If you're in the Seymour that is close to Wichita Falls then DFW is less than 3 hours. You might be able to get your hands on one with half the drive and time.

Very true as I'm in DFW every 3rd month. These have just hit the shelves and ACK is the only place that I've found them so far. Sooner or later they will become available in more stores.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Neumie] #11193075 10/29/15 04:15 AM
L
Lane H. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

Yep. It's slow. But stable.

-L.
Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Lane H.] #11193562 10/29/15 03:33 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Yep. It's slow. But stable.

thumb
Got that right; it's a slow, but very stable kayak. Is it a better kayak than the Pescador Pro? No one can say at this moment, because very few people have had the opportunity to paddle Pescador Pro.

Lure 10 Pros (my opinions): stability!!!, clean & well throughout cockpit, comfortable seat.
Cons (my. Opinion): tracks poorly, lots of hull slap when paddling in a chop, slow, and the seat is very loud when ratcheting up and down from low to high position

The OP has since said that he mainly intends to use the kayak at the coast a few times a year, obviously neither of us knew that when we originally made our posts. Knowing that I would not recommend the Lure 10. The attributes of the Lure 10 lend itself to be a great river and small body kayak, but not something I'd want to paddle in the winds & distances down at the coast.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11193579 10/29/15 03:43 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I'm 6'3" & 250 lbs. I really don't think I can stand in it. Being able to stand would be a plus but not a deal breaker. I mainly want to stay dry.

I am having a hard time justifying the cost of another one since I'll only use it 2 - 3 times a year when we go down to the coast. I tend to take the boat on the lakes around here. It looks like Perception picked up their game with the Pro model with some nice features with the price point. I'm open to ideas. Just wanted y'alls thoughts on the specs.

Very true as I'm in DFW every 3rd month. These have just hit the shelves and ACK is the only place that I've found them so far. Sooner or later they will become available in more stores.

Given your build I think the Pescador Pro may be a better fit for you. Slightly higher weight capacity, and the higher/more comfortable seat to keep your butt dry. It's going to be a more stable and slightly less efficient kayak than the Pescador, by how much is just going to be speculation. I'd be interested in seeing a hull shot of the kayak, but it "looks" similar to the new Tarpon 130 from a profile shot.

I would keep an eye out for when it hits the dealers in DFW for a test paddle, albeit a cold water test paddle. I know Mountain Sports and Mariner Sails are Perception dealers. APT in Hurst may be too since they are a Wilderness Systems dealer (Wildey and Perception have the same parent company), at the very least they could order one for ya.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: Neumie] #11194930 10/30/15 04:25 AM
L
Lane H. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

The OP has since said that he mainly intends to use the kayak at the coast a few times a year, obviously neither of us knew that when we originally made our posts. Knowing that I would not recommend the Lure 10. The attributes of the Lure 10 lend itself to be a great river and small body kayak, but not something I'd want to paddle in the winds & distances down at the coast.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's a total river kayak.

-L.
Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11198130 10/31/15 11:40 PM
P
Pecros Offline
Angler
Angler
P
For that price, get a Tarpon 120 instead.

The nice thing about the pescadors is the price. $830 is no longer a nice price for that boat. Get something else.

Re: Pescador Pro 120 [Re: JEH] #11198397 11/01/15 01:55 AM
F
Federale Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
A Jackson cruise would be another very comparable boat at about the same price point. Could probably find a previous year close out this time a year a lot cheaper than that pescador pro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide