Page 1 of 2 1 2
Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? #11177970 10/22/15 01:38 AM
M
mrdvant Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Hey guys, posted this in the bank fishing forum also, so sorry for any of you who have to see it twice....

Hey, I fish Benbrook lake several times a week and have a spot that has been my favorite in the 2 months I've been going there, but suddenly the catfish seem to be gone. I haven't had a single catfish bite the last three times I went out, though I still catch plenty of big carp. Anybody know where the catfish might have moved?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178018 10/22/15 02:04 AM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They are following the shad

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #11178100 10/22/15 02:42 AM
C
CATDADDY JR Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
They are following the shad

+1

Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178148 10/22/15 03:04 AM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Not disagreeing with you Tom, but last few times I went I was bank fishing and caught plenty of shad where I was fishing and only caught a couple small fish. And I mean I was catching plenty of good 6-8 inch gizzards. Had enough bait for a night within a couple tosses of the net.
So I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but they must have been following the shad I wasn't around.

Thanks,
Olen
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178332 10/22/15 10:23 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
What may appear to be lots of shad to you and I may be only a few to fish. In my opinion if you follow tgravley advice you will be right a lot more than wrong.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178398 10/22/15 11:56 AM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Like I said I wasn't necessarily disagreeing, they just weren't following the shad I was around.

Thanks,
Olen
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178411 10/22/15 12:03 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
BigPoppa007 caught them all.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178595 10/22/15 01:29 PM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
There was only 37 catfish left in Benbrook last winter. You been keeping fish or CPR? Between you and a cpl others guys there probally none left.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178611 10/22/15 01:32 PM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
On Lake Worth Goatman has eaten half of them and the other half hide in a underwater cave just to the right of the Base.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11178861 10/22/15 03:10 PM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Benbrook is tough for any species

Originally Posted By: Ruff n Redi
Sorry I confused us. Yes RS is Richardson. The first map is Dutch Branch or out from it and the second is out from RS. There are several humps on the lake. There is even one we call Mustang hump. All hold fish and so do the points. BB is has been different from every other lake I have fished. It can be great one day and nothing change and for no telling how long it will be horrible. A few months back I went out with 3 guides on the same boat. One week before one of them and me slayed the Hybrids on live shad. The next weekend fished same spots and caught 3 sand bass. I have not found the fish since the lake went back to normal. It did not stay there very long. It is 7+' low as of yesterday.
fish

Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: olenarey87] #11179590 10/22/15 09:54 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: olenarey87
Not disagreeing with you Tom, but last few times I went I was bank fishing and caught plenty of shad where I was fishing and only caught a couple small fish. And I mean I was catching plenty of good 6-8 inch gizzards. Had enough bait for a night within a couple tosses of the net.
So I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but they must have been following the shad I wasn't around.
You probably fish the same lake as I, gizzard shad were thick shallow well into sunset, the same as threadfin, but blues were practically absent... Normally where you find gizzard shad, at least at the lake I frequent, big blues are there, not this year after the flood. Shad don't follow the same patterns, for the last few trips I went banking scouting, I could catch net full of shad at south end, midkake as well as north end of the lake, regardless of wind directions... plus I suspect submerged willows stumps also keep bigger blues away from shores... as winter approach shad will move deep and most big cats will chase them in the deeper part of the lake. When water hit 50 degree, no shad will come shallow, but some big blues will come shallow if winds and waves actions create right conditions.... Bottom line is blue catfish are opportunistic predators, they eat a lot of shad but they also forage and scavenging for other food sources.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 10/22/15 10:01 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: BankAngler50] #11179711 10/22/15 11:12 PM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
You probably fish the same lake as I, gizzard shad were thick shallow well into sunset, the same as threadfin, but blues were practically absent... Normally where you find gizzard shad, at least at the lake I frequent, big blues are there, not this year after the flood. Shad don't follow the same patterns, for the last few trips I went banking scouting, I could catch net full of shad at south end, midkake as well as north end of the lake, regardless of wind directions... plus I suspect submerged willows stumps also keep bigger blues away from shores... as winter approach shad will move deep and most big cats will chase them in the deeper part of the lake. When water hit 50 degree, no shad will come shallow, but some big blues will come shallow if winds and waves actions create right conditions.... Bottom line is blue catfish are opportunistic predators, they eat a lot of shad but they also forage and scavenging for other food sources.

I was fishing Benbrook, but there are a ton of shad in that lake so I could be close to the wrong shad. But with how many I was catching I figured there would be some blues to be caught.

Thanks,
Olen
Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: olenarey87] #11179792 10/23/15 12:18 AM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50

I was fishing Benbrook, but there are a ton of shad in that lake so I could be close to the wrong shad. But with how many I was catching I figured there would be some blues to be caught.

Olen it's ok pardner your doing good. You are paying attention and your fishing will improve because of that. When you get ya that boat someday though and you spend some good time on the water fishing and bait hunting using your finder, your gonna notice a lot more cool stuff. Hang in there. cheers fish

Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: mrdvant] #11179801 10/23/15 12:19 AM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
I wish they were chasing the shad at Lewisville, I haven't had a bite the last couple times I been and shad were everywhere!

Re: Benbrook lake catfish, where'd they go? [Re: BigPoppa007] #11180067 10/23/15 02:06 AM
M
mrdvant Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I let mine go, but there is a certain group of people who were there every day for a couple weeks that might have cleaned my spot out now that you mention it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide