858426 Topics
11261191 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11175370 - 10/20/15 04:29 PM where to get supplies
Rodney Sisk Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Azle, TX.
I have been jigging for crappie for 36 years, and now I want to start tying my own jigs. I have the vice holder deal (yes total rookie here) that a friend gave me, but where do you guys get your bobbin, feathers, mono, jig heads etc... On Line or a DFW store that carries it? Just point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help

#11175378 - 10/20/15 04:34 PM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
Ken Gaby Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Belton, TX
Look at Crazy Angler (link in my sig) for supplies. Also, Barlow's in the DFW area carries a big stock and is on line also.
www.thermoclinelures.com / "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders

#11175381 - 10/20/15 04:35 PM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
jasoniam Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Bedford
+1 CRAZY ANGLER!!!

#11175711 - 10/20/15 07:51 PM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
AggieKenny Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Roanoke,TEXAS
Tim White is a forum member, he has a huge store on eBay under fishhunter775. Good prices and service.

#11175827 - 10/20/15 08:49 PM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
larry mays Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Winnsboro, Texas
Since you are new at it I would say if you can check out Barlow's store, but as for as I know they do not open on Sat.. Just weekdays but do go on line before hand and make out a list are you will get home without something you need. Its very nice to see what they have for later on, and easy to find as they are just outside of Dallas on 75 north.

#11176284 - 10/21/15 08:16 AM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Toledo Bend in Texas
Lots of places to get tools and supplies, but not all equal! Some will be less costly and some will have a much larger selection. Just make sure in bobbins to get either the ones with ceramic tube or at least the ceramic insert! Get tools you like because they will be in your hands a lot! I don't buy the cheapest, but do get ones I like. Example is the whip finish tool I use had a wood handle and for me it's more comfortable to hold over a small metal tube that most make them out of. Take time to build up you number of bobbins and other tools. I probably have at least 50 bobbins, LOL! I don't buy them all at one time and some just have a different thread size, so example for my Blue there are 2 bobbins and one has 210 denier thread and the other has 140 denier!
Check out Bob Marriott's, JS Flyfishing, Crazy Angler, Barlow's, Tim mentioned above is a really nice guy and there are many more. Heck I even sell some items of materials. Just keep an open mind and enjoy the madness that comes from the tying addiction!

Skip

Crystal…

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/Skip48/l...rt=3&page=1

Rayon and Nylon/New Age…

#11176698 - 10/21/15 11:25 AM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Skip_48]
pepop Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Chandler, Texas
'
Originally Posted By: Skip_48
Lots of places to get tools and supplies, but not all equal! Some will be less costly and some will have a much larger selection. Just make sure in bobbins to get either the ones with ceramic tube or at least the ceramic insert! Get tools you like because they will be in your hands a lot! I don't buy the cheapest, but do get ones I like. Example is the whip finish tool I use had a wood handle and for me it's more comfortable to hold over a small metal tube that most make them out of. Take time to build up you number of bobbins and other tools. I probably have at least 50 bobbins, LOL! I don't buy them all at one time and some just have a different thread size, so example for my Blue there are 2 bobbins and one has 210 denier thread and the other has 140 denier!
Check out Bob Marriott's, JS Flyfishing, Crazy Angler, Barlow's, Tim mentioned above is a really nice guy and there are many more. Heck I even sell some items of materials. Just keep an open mind and enjoy the madness that comes from the tying addiction!

Skip

What Skip, Kenny, Larry, Jason, Ken said! Your list should at least have tha basic tools listed. Since you already have a vise, you'll need a bobbin (bobbin's), a pair of good scissors & a rotating whip finisher (YouTube video's will show you how to use the tools). Then some jigheads of a weight & hook size you like, Flat Waxed Nylon thread (the 210 denier Skip mentioned), an assortment of chenille's (color's & textures) Feathers (Marabou is good but I personally use only Strung Neck Hackle) and maybe a package of Silver Flask material. You could probably pm Crazy Angler & give him an idea of what you want & he could probably put together a pice "Starter Package" for you (if he has time, he travels a lot). Most of the guys on here will help you in any way they can, all you have to do is ask.

JASON BURTON'S EAST TEXAS GUIDE SERVICE

#11178810 - 10/22/15 09:51 AM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
Rodney Sisk Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Azle, TX.
Thanks for all the great advise. I ordered enough stuff to get me going and have been watching videos.
Thanks again

#11178842 - 10/22/15 10:05 AM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
jasoniam Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Bedford
Originally Posted By: Rodney Sisk
Thanks for all the great advise. I ordered enough stuff to get me going and have been watching videos.
Thanks again

There is never enough to get ya goin!! I did the same two months ago and now I have gotten way more than anticipated!!! I started off with basics that I like then had to place an order cause I wanted to add one thing to a tie but then I liked something else for it and its been downhill ever since!!!
Enjoy the fun!!!
At least these guys warned me!!!...lol

#11180666 - 10/23/15 09:04 AM Re: where to get supplies [Re: Rodney Sisk]
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Toledo Bend in Texas
Take this for what it's worth, be careful what videos you take for being good so you don't devolope bad habits. I always tell anyone that will listen go to FAOL and work their lessons. Start with the beginning tying, then intermediate and later advanced. It starts with basic info about tools and such, but then into tying flies, but they still use materials you use on jigs too and they have to tie that chenille in or feathers in. Just learn from what you know to be experts! Here is a link....

Skip

Just click on fly tying and then Beginning tying!
http://www.flyanglersonline.com

Crystal…

Rayon and Nylon/New Age…

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide