Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Upgrading baitcasters? #11169570 10/17/15 12:24 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I have a few Shimano Citica CI200 G7 reels that I'm considering upgrading. I was looking at changing the handles out and found a few websites offering bearings and other upgrades to the stock components. Some of the stuff is just crazy expensive ($100+ handles) and that's not what I'm looking for. Interested in bearings and drag washers...stuff like that. Also, need handles with round pads that don't cost $$$. Any information or observation on this subject would be appreciated. texas

*No brand bashing or stuff like that please*

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11169625 10/17/15 01:14 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
i haven't seen enough difference in the ceramic bearings to notice much difference. unless they last longer. as far as the handles go, i like the soft rubber slip over pads on my handles.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11170213 10/17/15 10:14 PM
03svtsnakevert Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Going from your stock bearings to bocas are a big difference...and the carbon drag washers are smooth

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: 03svtsnakevert] #11170855 10/18/15 12:48 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: 03svtsnakevert
Going from your stock bearings to bocas are a big difference...and the carbon drag washers are smooth

i didn't see any difference in casting distance. did seem to be smoother though. don't know how long they last either. if i stay on top of my clean and lube, the ss shimano bearings last for years. it helps a bunch that i have quite a few of em and don't use the same reel all the time. also, i think i bought the orange ceramics and they weren't much more expensive than the ss.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11170858 10/18/15 12:50 PM
J
Joseph H Offline
Angler
Angler
J
The orange cover boca bearing upgrade kit with 2 bearings is a really nice upgrade for $30. I did the same upgrade to my 3 e-curados and calais 100a. Well worth the money on each reel. Make sure you test the bearings before oiling so you can appreciate how long your spool will spin. You'll notice that the bearings are loud! After that add a tiny drop of oil. I use royal purple reel oil but shimano or oil of your preference will work. The bearing noise will now be gone but will still be pretty impressive even after adding a little oil.

As far as I can tell, the citica uses the same bearings as the curado.

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11171910 10/19/15 02:27 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I bought all of my bearings off of eBay. Any ABEC 7 bearing is rated to the same speed as the Boca bearings. I bought all of my hybrid ceramic bearings off of Ebay for about $6 each.

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11179588 10/22/15 09:51 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Ordered new ABEC 7 bearings and Carbontex drag washers for the reels....can't wait to see how they work. Also, bought a 102mm swept handle with Winn style knobs for my crankin' reel.

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11225892 11/16/15 12:52 AM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Put new ABEC7 bearings and Carbontex drag washers from BigGreenFish in 4 Citica CI200 reels.
After the upgrades:
1st day on the lake with new bearings and drag washers...less than excited with the new bearings but very pleased with the drag washers. Seemed like casting distance was slightly less than with the old bearings...the drag washers were super smooth.
2nd day on the lake:
The more hours put on the reels the better they cast...maybe the bearings weren't "broken in". By days end the bearings upgrades seem to be worth the trouble. I'm casting 1/8 ounce traps a good distance without overspooling...throwing a 1/2 ounce crank bait into the next county with a Powell 804c rod and the ABEC7 upgrade bearings on a CI200G5. After catching several nice bass the drag upgrade is the most noticeable and worth every penny... and then some. The Carbontex drag is super smooth and is much more sensitive than before...no jerking when a fish pulls drag from the reels...really nice. Overall the upgrades really improved on the stock factory reels...makes a middle of the road reel operate like a much more expensive model. texas

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11226428 11/16/15 12:23 PM
"
"Old School" Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
"
Originally Posted By: boisarc
Put new ABEC7 bearings and Carbontex drag washers from BigGreenFish in 4 Citica CI200 reels.
After the upgrades:
1st day on the lake with new bearings and drag washers...less than excited with the new bearings but very pleased with the drag washers. Seemed like casting distance was slightly less than with the old bearings...the drag washers were super smooth.
2nd day on the lake:
The more hours put on the reels the better they cast...maybe the bearings weren't "broken in". By days end the bearings upgrades seem to be worth the trouble. I'm casting 1/8 ounce traps a good distance without overspooling...throwing a 1/2 ounce crank bait into the next county with a Powell 804c rod and the ABEC7 upgrade bearings on a CI200G5. After catching several nice bass the drag upgrade is the most noticeable and worth every penny... and then some. The Carbontex drag is super smooth and is much more sensitive than before...no jerking when a fish pulls drag from the reels...really nice. Overall the upgrades really improved on the stock factory reels...makes a middle of the road reel operate like a much more expensive model. texas

Nice to hear this. I've been considering some upgrades to my older reels to give them more life.

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: "Old School"] #11226733 11/16/15 03:34 PM
03svtsnakevert Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: "Old School"
After the upgrades:
2nd day on the lake:

Nice to hear this. I've been considering some upgrades to my older reels to give them more life.

We use bocas in the reels we upgrade...love them

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11250890 11/29/15 01:46 AM
W
WmSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Upgrading to bocas makes a huge difference. I noticed mostly when using big cranks and small lures. I don't back lash as much.

It's worth the money

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11251886 11/29/15 05:29 PM
M
Mawellq Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Definitely do the Carbontex drag and the Boca ABEC 7 upgrade. Really helps the performance. The main reason to do a handle swap is to have 4 bearings - 2 in each handle knob, looks don't hurt either. A longer handle does provide more leverage to allow you to power the fish out of the weeds.

Re: Upgrading baitcasters? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11253505 11/30/15 11:56 AM
S
seekfishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
After the upgrades:
2nd day on the lake:

Ceramic upgrades are about reducing casting effort not increasing casting distance. From practice thru a two day tournament a pro fisherman will make over 5000 cast.

The biggest mistake most people make with Boca orange ceramics are they lube them. they are dry lubed from the factory(chemically treated with a dry lubrication) stick them in dry and then when you service them next time you can inspect and lube if needed. The Professional bass fishermen that i service want new bearings dry lubed each time i service reels

Allan
Seekfishing.com
281-469-9898
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide