I have been catching threadfins about every day lately due to the fact the fish wont hit lures much anymore. Here's what I do:
1. Go up any slough or creek
2. Lift your trolling motor up so that it is barely in the water when you stand on the front of the boat.
3. Get everything out of the way and get the net ready.
4. Slowly drive along the bank looking for a school of shad. If you see fish attacking minnows go toward that and most often the shad will come right to you.
5. kill the motor when you see them
6. drop the net over them as they come by the boat. Pull up when you see flashing sliver dollars.
That's been my tactic for the last few weeks. I haven't fished shad in the past unless a guide caught them. I never need more than one throw.
John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.