Forums59
Topics1,039,164
Posts13,960,219
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: 04champ] #11166826 10/15/15 06:30 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: 04champ
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Last time I checked Fork is a lake...not a roadway. Telling someone not to fish in the boatlane is like telling someone not to have a blowout and fix their tire on the side of a highway. If the lane is big enough for me to blow by I do. I don't come within ten yards of anybody on plane. Passing each other in the lanes is close enough for me. I don't trust anybody as it is and especially in a damn bass boat going 70mph. Now then, ya if you must fish in a boat lane you are taking a risk of some guy just needin to get to his favorite fishing spot in record time in his 21 foot 300 hp missile plowing into you. Its a risk you take but shouldn't have to. Fishing lane or not if you gotta get around somebody and you are going to come within 10 yards of em slow the hell down. Is it really worth killin someone over anyways? We could what if it all day but you can't really blame a guy for fishing.... If my truck broke down across two lanes of traffic on Hwy 515 are you going go blowing past me in the ditch or are you going to slow down? OR are you just going to T-Bone me cuz I shouldn't have broke down in the first place? Slow down folks.... chances are you ain't gonna catch nuttin anyways! Someone's already gonna be on "your honey hole".... It's Fork remember...

this brings up an interesting point.

some are complaining about people flying past them 10-20 yards away while they are stationary, fishing

yet almost every time I pass someone going the opposite direction in a boat lane, we are within 10-20 yards of each other. this seems far more dangerous to me, but is no big deal

Wake to stationary object does more damage. You are responsible for your wake by law.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11166831 10/15/15 06:33 PM
jcarring99 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I guess i'm not that eat up with fishing that I would put myself or anyone else in danger. If in doubt I always go slow. I don't want to hurt anyone and I don't want to get hurt. I personally don't fish in boat lanes much and when I do I do expect the boats not to come off of plane. That's always my assumption. If they do great if not I'm moving out of there way with my trolling motor. I always assume worst case scenario, but hope for otherwise. I have never fished in a boat lane at fork though and never would. I have at other lakes like Pines and only in certain areas. The boat lanes are very narrow there

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
email: joel@carringtonroofingdfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
For financing click: https://app.gethearth.com/partners/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonroofingdfw.com
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11166841 10/15/15 06:38 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Pines is the #1 in the state for dangerous boat lanes....maybe Caddo too.

No one will take responsibility of placing the poles on Lake of the Pines, I went round and round with the Corp on it...especially when the concrete bridge showed up in the middle of the boat lane a few years ago.

There fix...place a buoy on it and Sandbar Hump.....both were very shallow...and they put 30' of cable on them. Which caused several wrecks....including a couple in the Everstart series that fall.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11166936 10/15/15 07:25 PM
HumblePerchJerker Offline
Angler
Angler
Not that it will mean anything to you folks, but I have thought for years about venturing up to Fork and giving it a try.

After reading this post, I believe I'll just leave it to you hot rod drivers and fish elsewhere.

I always drive safely regardless of whether or not it is convenient!!

HPJ

Last edited by HumblePerchJerker; 10/15/15 07:25 PM.
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11166977 10/15/15 07:44 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted By: 04champ
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Last time I checked Fork is a lake...not a roadway. Telling someone not to fish in the boatlane is like telling someone not to have a blowout and fix their tire on the side of a highway. If the lane is big enough for me to blow by I do. I don't come within ten yards of anybody on plane. Passing each other in the lanes is close enough for me. I don't trust anybody as it is and especially in a damn bass boat going 70mph. Now then, ya if you must fish in a boat lane you are taking a risk of some guy just needin to get to his favorite fishing spot in record time in his 21 foot 300 hp missile plowing into you. Its a risk you take but shouldn't have to. Fishing lane or not if you gotta get around somebody and you are going to come within 10 yards of em slow the hell down. Is it really worth killin someone over anyways? We could what if it all day but you can't really blame a guy for fishing.... If my truck broke down across two lanes of traffic on Hwy 515 are you going go blowing past me in the ditch or are you going to slow down? OR are you just going to T-Bone me cuz I shouldn't have broke down in the first place? Slow down folks.... chances are you ain't gonna catch nuttin anyways! Someone's already gonna be on "your honey hole".... It's Fork remember...

this brings up an interesting point.

some are complaining about people flying past them 10-20 yards away while they are stationary, fishing

yet almost every time I pass someone going the opposite direction in a boat lane, we are within 10-20 yards of each other. this seems far more dangerous to me, but is no big deal

Wake to stationary object does more damage. You are responsible for your wake by law.

This is true, that you are responsible for your wake. It is not true that the wake thrown by a bass boat at WOT throttle is large enough to cause damage to a stationary boat. I also think, that if I had to choose which situation I have less chance being injured in... I would choose standing on the stationary boat that is being passed by a fast moving object rather than being in a fast moving object being passed head-on by another fast moving object. Your odds of something going wrong are at least double when two moving boats encounter each other.

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167173 10/15/15 09:15 PM
D
Devil Horse Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
assume humans are stupid and will blow by you if fishing in boat lanes, so the solution is dont fish in the boat lanes.

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167456 10/15/15 11:58 PM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I try to be considerate to other fishermen/women but there have been a few instances where if I had had a rocket launcher, there'd be a few less wakeboard boats on Conroe. But I was raised to be courteous and try not to swamp any other boats. I slow down if I pass within casting distance.

Fishing in the middle of a boat lane should be a no-no but doubt anyone here will be able to convince others to yield/ slow down. It probably won't happen without clearly marked lanes and strict enforcement. That just isn't going to happen anytime soon. It is up to us to continue to be courteous to others even though rocket launchers launchers can be purchased from Bulgarian arms traders for @ $300.

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167544 10/16/15 12:46 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Hello, I'm one of those people who only thinks of me, I think I will sit in the boat lane knowing full well that everyone runs them and expect every boat that goes by to shut down and idle by. That's what I hear when I read this.

Last edited by whatsaweighin; 10/16/15 12:47 AM.
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167589 10/16/15 01:04 AM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Seems like an even split of opinions, Lance.

I'd love to see a poll of these responses broken down by age. Anonymously.

Pretty clear reflection of society today, it would seem.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: WAWI] #11167592 10/16/15 01:07 AM
Lance Vick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Hello, I'm one of those people who only thinks of me, I think I will sit in the boat lane knowing full well that everyone runs them and expect every boat that goes by to shut down and idle by. That's what I hear when I read this.

I guess I didn't write the easy fix( I edited the post to include this opinion )to the issue ,just slow down a little and give the fishing boat as much room ,,,,,As you can ,,,,a good cast length away would be good enough,,,,,

Last edited by Lance Vick; 10/16/15 01:09 AM.
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: fouzman] #11167615 10/16/15 01:20 AM
Lance Vick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Seems like an even split of opinions, Lance.

I'd love to see a poll of these responses broken down by age. Anonymously.

Pretty clear reflection of society today, it would seem.

Yep ,
However there were a lot of great responses ,,,,,,,,,with good ideas and solutions
Good to hear

Fact of the matter, the lake has grown smaller with the increase off boat traffic
God put the fishing holes ,in those places ,before the water and bouys where there
So the fishermen and boaters are going to need to share

We are all blessed with a beautiful lake full of fish, in the great state of Texas ,,,,,,enjoy it

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167631 10/16/15 01:25 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Everyone talks about passing someone 10 yards away WOT. That's not a good cast that's a little flip.
My den is wider than that I just measured it. That is way to close.
I'm just going to go with Lance when I go to fork. Sounds like a safer way to go.

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167656 10/16/15 01:38 AM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I really like threads like this, gives me an idea of who's opinion to consider worthless form here moving forward.

The whole you have the whole lake to fish argument can never be won, neither can the you should just slow down argument, too many people driving their big egos around. All I know is the guy going 0 miles per hour is never the one getting too close to anything

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167658 10/16/15 01:39 AM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Time for everyone to watch this... Again for many of us.

Take notes.

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Re: Just common courtesy ,,,,,Or boating safety [Re: Lance Vick] #11167673 10/16/15 01:46 AM
Lance Vick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Funniest video
Going to have to rewatch that movie

Last edited by Lance Vick; 10/16/15 01:46 AM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide