Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
whats up with motor boat bass guys #11158788 10/12/15 01:25 PM
C
christian myrick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
There was a group of us on wolf island yesterday and two boats decided they needed to get 20 ft from shore right where our lines were in and cast for bass. They hooked and drug our lines all over the place. Why? When I yelled at them they seemed pissed, like it was my fault we got there first. Gotta say, if they wanted to fish there they shoulda got out earlier. It was so rude. We were there with a pile of kids, if we werent, I woulda paddled out to them and boarded their boat with a$$ kicking in mind. mad

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11158829 10/12/15 01:40 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Bigger boat means they're more of a man and have more fishing skillz right????? roflmao

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11158868 10/12/15 01:56 PM
K
K5RCD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
There was a group of us on wolf island yesterday and two boats decided they needed to get 20 ft from shore right where our lines were in and cast for bass. They hooked and drug our lines all over the place. Why? When I yelled at them they seemed pissed, like it was my fault we got there first. Gotta say, if they wanted to fish there they shoulda got out earlier. It was so rude. We were there with a pile of kids, if we werent, I woulda paddled out to them and boarded their boat with a$$ kicking in mind. mad

Yes, their behavior was rude. Even more rude is coming on a public forum and stating how you are going to give someone an a$$ kicking. Another internet badass at work.

Grow up and learn to accept the fact that there are others fishing the same waters, and often they are quite rude. Also, attempting to assault someone you don't know could make orphans out of some of the kids with you.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: K5RCD] #11158878 10/12/15 02:00 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: K5RCD

Yes, their behavior was rude. Even more rude is coming on a public forum and stating how you are going to give someone an a$$ kicking. Another internet badass at work.

Grow up and learn to accept the fact that there are others fishing the same waters, and often they are quite rude. Also, attempting to assault someone you don't know could make orphans out of some of the kids with you.

You're the one telling him to grow up but yet you can't help but to undermine him on the public forum you speak of. Seems like you're being one of these "internet bad***" and a db yourself. Good job guy. Go eat a Snickers.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11158883 10/12/15 02:02 PM
F
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
popcorn

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11158932 10/12/15 02:29 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
It doesn't matter if your fishing from a bank, a dock, a kayak, or a boat, there are way too many jerks on the water these days that think their more important than you and fail to give other anglers their space. One is too many. From my personal experience, the closer you are to DFW or Lake Fork the worst it is.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: K5RCD] #11158946 10/12/15 02:33 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: K5RCD

As far as bashing them on a public forum, who was I talking about? Do you know the guy? I made no mention of the boats description. Also saying I wanted to doesnt mean i did. As far as internet badass, well I am no badass just not willing to lay down like a sheep and take it because it offends you. I do also understand about public waters...there is a whole lake ...in fact the whole rest of wolf island to choose from. 20 ft away from our lines and poles wasn't the place for them.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159055 10/12/15 03:32 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Glitter rocket entitlement.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: C-Frog] #11159067 10/12/15 03:39 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: C-Frog
Glitter rocket entitlement.

I like it.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159129 10/12/15 04:11 PM
C
charlief1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I was watching family guys last night and they did one of those little sidelines like they do. A guy was getting his "jetski license" and after a few questions the examiner said, "you have your license now, you can go be a dick". roflmao

Seems like this is happening more and more. Reminds me when the snow boarders took over the slopes in the 90's. mad

I'm on other forums that deal with the old turbo powered Buicks.;)
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159270 10/12/15 05:24 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If that happens again, just tell them that they are fishing a good spot and that just the day before you caught several nice sized bass and one about eight pounds and that you are planning on catching a few more for a nice fish fry!

Just one more cast!

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159356 10/12/15 06:21 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
It's the "ME" generation. Nobody cares about respect anymore. I fish a place regularly and I feel pretty bad when I go past a bank fisherman in my yak. I always wave and go slow and stay as quiet as I can. I do my best not to be rude, but there are people out there that don't care. They only care about them and what they are doing, not what they are causing to happen.

As far as "K5RCD" is concerned... they have 66 posts since JULY of 2012. Either young or he's one the guys that is rude and he's trying to justify it.
Either way troll

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159376 10/12/15 06:32 PM
J
Joe Slab Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I feel your pain Christian. I especially love it when im sitting on a brush pile crappie fishing and they blast past me at 60 mph. bang

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159475 10/12/15 07:35 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have felt this way about them when I was one of them, all I will say is a 4 oz weight off the side of their boat and an excuse me I did not see you invading my space comment usually gets them moving. The ones that really chap me are the ones that run through surfacing fish and wave at you like they are being friendly running over the fish you are catching.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: Jimbo] #11159489 10/12/15 07:39 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
If that happens again, just tell them that they are fishing a good spot and that just the day before you caught several nice sized bass and one about eight pounds and that you are planning on catching a few more for a nice fish fry!

roflmao roflmao Love it roflmao roflmao

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11159494 10/12/15 07:42 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
It's going to happen, you can't stop it.
Don't let it ruin your day doing the one thing that makes you happy.
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11160587 10/13/15 05:02 AM
J
John Stockman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Were they catching, your group did. I usually let guys fish thru. Unless it's Arlington, that's my lake. Might have a reputation as the angry kayak guy on Arlington.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11160627 10/13/15 10:18 AM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
I wouldnt be mad if they just went by. The whole problem is them casting across our lines, into our lines etc

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11160672 10/13/15 11:24 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Just as a general rule, avoid any confrontation. The reason is it'll do more to ruin your day because afterward, you'll think about it the rest of the day. Better to just let the vessels pass each other and keep fishing with a clear mind on the fish . . . and the fun.

And, there are some gray areas. Say, two vessels entering a cove, one fishing it clockwise and the other counterclockwise. As they approach each other, what is the proper etiquette to pass each other? There are more situations like this.

I have never had any problems. As a matter of fact, I sort of like fishing tight with others, not of course "Japan like" . . . but close is okay if lines don't cross.

The established pecking order seems to be: Boats look down on smaller boats and kayaks, and then vessels of all sorts look down on bank fishermen. And, everyone hates ski boats and jet skis.

When, I am fishing around a bank fisherman who has "position" on me, I move well outside of his casting distance or line if he has one out, make a loop, engage in a little conversation, then pick up again on the far side. At so many lakes, these guys have limited areas to fish.

Brad

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11161419 10/13/15 05:28 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I fish on a lake that is in close proximity to the city so it gets hammered pretty good even during the week.
Guides and regulars and the weekend warriors so you have to have thick skin if you fish there.
I've been fishing the lake since the early seventies and it's not changed much when it comes to inconsiderate fishermen and that's using a mild term.
You cannot fish without someone trying to take over your space and in a kayak it's worse.
I just reel up my line or leave it out and just stare at them and not say a word. If they try to run over me I'll speak up and in a calm voice I'll ask them if they have a problem.
Usually I'll just sit there and end up catching fish and they don't, so they'll get disgusted and leave.
Cell phones come in handy, and you can start snapping pictures of them and that usually gets them to move more than anything.

Just one more cast!

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: Jimbo] #11161437 10/13/15 05:38 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I fish on a lake that is in close proximity to the city so it gets hammered pretty good even during the week.
Guides and regulars and the weekend warriors so you have to have thick skin if you fish there.
I've been fishing the lake since the early seventies and it's not changed much when it comes to inconsiderate fishermen and that's using a mild term.
You cannot fish without someone trying to take over your space and in a kayak it's worse.
I just reel up my line or leave it out and just stare at them and not say a word. If they try to run over me I'll speak up and in a calm voice I'll ask them if they have a problem.
Usually I'll just sit there and end up catching fish and they don't, so they'll get disgusted and leave.
Cell phones come in handy, and you can start snapping pictures of them and that usually gets them to move more than anything.

I am definitely used to boat traffic, wake etc. I dont get upset about that, I am in one of the most stable kayaks made. Its just the fact he thought I was in the wrong being there. He wasn't a new guy, this boat had decails all over it. He casted across our lines and hooked them several times. I would never do something lime that intentionally. There is enough lake for us all to be successful fishermen. Pour guy prob hasn't caught a fish over 5 lbs his whole life. Hahahaha.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11161444 10/13/15 05:40 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Exactly why I keep a heavy rod with 65lb braid handy, I have used it before , let's just say it's a conversation starter!!!

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11161450 10/13/15 05:42 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Btw you have every right to be ticked, it seems like people should know better but we are in America.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11161554 10/13/15 06:38 PM
D
Daniel Mtanous Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
It's a miracle this thread hasn't been deleted because I made a thread last month about boaters complaining about bank fishermen (Which they got us removed and we got "our warning".)at the Oasis Boat Ramp for Joe Pool and it got deleted in less than 24 hours.

Had a guy crossing lines like crazy at Joe Pool where you pay to indoor fish. He never stopped and took up a lane just threw his line over everyone else's and was like "Oh, sorry.", but never stopped doing it the entire time...

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11161571 10/13/15 06:43 PM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It doesn't have anything to do about being in the bass boat, can't fix stupid.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11163273 10/14/15 01:46 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
fishing from a kayak for a few years will teach you more about patience than anything, on several levels.

but believe this, you go chunk a 3oz sinker at someones boat and chip some gelcoat or something similar, youre asking for big trouble,
and the tough guy talking about boarding a boat and starting a fight, another really dumb idea, the castle doctrine also applies to your boat, great way to get killed......over a fish

just take it easy is all Im saying, youre never going to fix a problem if the problem is stupid people

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11165314 10/15/15 01:28 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I have a few pretty simple rules:

1. If I haven't drug my kayak far enough through the trees/rocks/grass to break a serious sweat, I am launching at the wrong place.

2. If I see anyone else fishing where I am at, I am at the wrong spot.

I got into kayaking to get off the grid, so to speak.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11165323 10/15/15 01:32 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Don't get me wrong, I fish the big water too.

But I prefer the backwater stuff.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11165652 10/15/15 03:42 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Daniel Mtanous
It's a miracle this thread hasn't been deleted because I made a thread last month about boaters complaining about bank fishermen (Which they got us removed and we got "our warning".)at the Oasis Boat Ramp for Joe Pool and it got deleted in less than 24 hours.

Had a guy crossing lines like crazy at Joe Pool where you pay to indoor fish. He never stopped and took up a lane just threw his line over everyone else's and was like "Oh, sorry.", but never stopped doing it the entire time...

Not even remotely similar to that thread you speak of, based just on the facts you provided in that post. Please don't get this thread locked because you still can't see why that one was locked.

[Linked Image]
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11167741 10/16/15 02:18 AM
M
Mark Ray Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
When somebody gets to close while I am fishing I close up the gap some and start asking if I can borrow stuff and asking personal awkward questions. You wouldn't believe how fast people will clear out when they think they are dealing with a mentally unstable person...

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: Mark Ray] #11167839 10/16/15 03:20 AM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Mark Ray
When somebody gets to close while I am fishing I close up the gap some and start asking if I can borrow stuff and asking personal awkward questions. You wouldn't believe how fast people will clear out when they think they are dealing with a mentally unstable person...

roflmao

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: Mark Ray] #11167840 10/16/15 03:21 AM
O
Omnipotent Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
LOL I am so going to try this if the situation ever comes up. Rock on Mark.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11168023 10/16/15 12:20 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
yeah, make it weird, not hostile.....for sure...that is the funniest thing I will read all day

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11168279 10/16/15 02:37 PM
reelfisherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I agree with bass fisherman becoming complete a$$es on the water. They pay some money for a tournament entry and they think they have a pass to do whatever they want. The main reason I quit tourney fishing. However I have to agree somewhat with K5RCD in that paddling out to my boat to attempt an a$$ kicking will get you shot. I'm too old to take one and too young to die. If you approach me with hostile intentions you will not walk, or paddle, away.
Yell at them, call them a holes or whatever makes you feel better but don't get into an altercation, especially with your kids around.
I can tell you from experience it is embarrassing for both parties when the kids get to see the fight.

I don't have all the answers, but I'm a quick learner!
http://aluminumboatdocks.com/
Southwestdocks@gmail.com
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11176494 10/21/15 02:38 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Was fishing with a good friend and his old man out of their bass boat. We were casting towards the banks from a good way out for LMB n doing pretty well. About half way through that area, 2 yahoos motored up close behind us n threw us a good wake. They dropped their troll motor & start casting where we had already fished. When they saw the bass us 3 were pulling out, they decide to big motor around us. mad this killed the bite. I was ticked but could only laugh at their knuckleheadery when i saw how close they were to the bank. Once we got to the spots they had fished in front of us, my friends Dad hooked a big one. After we netted It, he held It high and yelled to those guys. "Looks like yall missed one!!!" thumb

Them two yahoos couldn't even look at each other. Less than 5 min they were gone and we didnt see em again. It aint just "motorboat bass guys" just knuckheads n knuckleheads only think of themselves. Some r so good at it that I swear they must b doin It all the time hammer

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11176858 10/21/15 05:29 PM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
^^^Well said, happens more than I'd like to admit. I even had it happen to me in a kayak tournament from another competitor.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11176976 10/21/15 06:29 PM
T
TheSinistral Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have been known to have a nasty temper. I used to be eager to violently overreact to slights (real or perceived) but as I have gotten older I have tried to think of all the possible outcomes of a confrontation. Most are sad, expensive or nightmarish. Usually, now I will just move on and try to think of something else.... or think of how lucky I am to not be the *rick, for once. The joy of kayak fishing usually helps me 'snap out of it' in short order. Fishing days are too precious to let a jerk (including me) ruin it for me.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11177343 10/21/15 08:53 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
It seems like we never left high school... when I first read this thread I thought great was thinking about getting a kayak so I could get away from inconsiderate boaters... then as I read through some more I see different ways people deal with the same YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID problem. This is actually a great thread really appreciate y'all keeping your cool head and share your experience with every one. Especially TheSinistrals comment is really making me think y'all are very cool and intelligent group of guys and gals. Thanks gentlemen enjoy the reading and this old dog actually learn a new tricks or two, lol. thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11177386 10/21/15 09:13 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I do find that I'm disrespected a lot by boaters but this goes beyond boats and what they are fishing for. Fishing down at the coast this weekend and a guy in a kayak paddled up from my left. I thought he was going to pass me but nope. He stopped 20 yards down wind from my drift and put out his drift sock. COME ON MAN!!!! The gulf is almost 618,000 square miles and you stop right in front of my drift!

The common problem here is knucklehead. I like that term because what I would use to describe them would get censored out.

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11177697 10/21/15 11:27 PM
L
LSM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I kayak fish a small lake (catch & release and less than 300 acres) that is well populated with quality LMB. Motorized boats are allowed, but at idle speed only - no wake. It's almost amusing, but mostly blood boiling, to watch how they push the limits. At times, it would be better if they were on a full plane instead of pushing a huge wake with half their boat out of the water. The large majority of all boats do it. There are several $50,000 rigs there on a regular basis, with a well-known reservoir just minutes away. Not only can they not follow the no-wake rule, there are plenty of dipsticks that do the same stuff that has already been mentioned in this thread. No one seems to care enough to enforce the standing no-wake rule. It doesn't take but 2 or 3 of these jokers running around, burning up the shoreline to scatter the fish. It's like they have no clue about what a unique body of water they are fishing. I notice a HUGE difference in the amount of fish I catch when there are no power boats around. I really envy the kayakers that can fish Ladybird and other non-motorized waters.

Last edited by LSM; 10/22/15 12:17 AM.
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11178085 10/22/15 02:34 AM
C
Cudadude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Look what you started Christian!!! roflmao

Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11184178 10/25/15 03:08 AM
S
SuperSpookJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Ladybird is hardly a utopia for kayak fisherman. Rowers can and will make your life miserable, and when the weather warms up, the recreational SUP's, canoers, and kayakers make certain areas (the best ones) unfishable. Urban lakes are urban lakes. Nobody owns the water and we have to try our best to share the resource. That said, if someone is boating or fishing dangerously or without regard for others, say something. It doesn't have to be provocative, but get your point across that their conduct isn't appreciated.

-SSJr

Last edited by SuperSpookJr; 10/25/15 03:09 AM.
Re: whats up with motor boat bass guys [Re: christian myrick] #11184780 10/25/15 05:06 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Wolf Island=Ray Roberts..nuff said! I've never been around more ahole fishermen in my life. I quit going to that lake over ten years ago after my buddy got into a yelling match with some tournament jockey who thought his money gave him the right of way. It's amazing to me that we haven't read of a shooting on the water at that lake!

Get the TX numbers and report them for harassment.

'Today is the day!' - Mel Fisher
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide