Print Thread
trailer spindals grooved, are spindals repairable #11156260 10/10/15 09:06 PM
S
Seaswirl C.C. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
SINGLE AXLE roadmaster TRAILER THAT HOLDS 18' APPROX 3000LB. CENTERCONSOL.
After hitting a curb at 5mph I lost a 1-1/4"piece of the hub and lost the trailer bearings. I drove 12 miles home on a wheel the was leaning. I pulled my right wheel& hub off and had 1/32'to 1/16"grooves on the spindles in the area between the inner & outer bearings. The spindle area where the bearings had rested were unharmed, but the greese seal surface was slightly grooved. I sanded the spindle groves out w/ a belt sander and am able to get the last piece of inner bearing off.
I can replace the hub and bearings & be done. (But am worried about the spindle cracking in two over time, or failing in some other way).
I do have the options of replacing the whole axle, or may be able to find a shop that can cut & weld a new spindle on.

{???????????????????? ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE REPAIRING A GROOVED SPENDAL??? OR HAVING A WELD TYPE SPINDAL CUT OFF & A NEW REWELDED??? ANY-ONE know about where to find seal inserts I heard about if the seal surface has small goves????????????????????}

Here's the story. I Mon, 10/5 I was pulling my 18'centerconsol in DFW hoping to make it to Freeport to catch some bull reds. As I pulled in a braums entrance a speeding car blocked me & I stopped. The car wouldn't back up, so I had to jump a curve to keep from getting rear ended. The right rear trailer strap snapped so I drove 7 miles to get another strap. I walked around the trailer and all looked fine. I made my last stop at an auto parts before getting on the HWY south to Freeport. That's when I noticed my tire leaning and a chunk of hub & bearings missing. Fortunately was able to make it 10miles back to the house & didn't have a bigger problem headed south.
I think the hub must have cracked and later came apart or the bearings failed & caused the hub to break about 12 miles after hitting the curb.
Unfortunately I wasted 2 days getting ready for this fishing trip I was unable to enjoy the Texas coast.

Re: trailer spindals grooved, are spindals repairable [Re: Seaswirl C.C.] #11156333 10/10/15 10:21 PM
Capt Jerry Offline
Angler
Angler
You should be able to have a new spindle welded onto the axle. Sounds like you may want to replace the hub/bearings while you are at it.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.
Re: trailer spindals grooved, are spindals repairable [Re: Seaswirl C.C.] #11156692 10/11/15 02:29 AM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Most of the time it is better and cheaper to replace the complete axel assembly. They come with new hubs. Should be able to get at a trailer place close.

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: trailer spindals grooved, are spindals repairable [Re: Seaswirl C.C.] #11157298 10/11/15 04:33 PM
S
Seaswirl C.C. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Looks like my advice doesn't include sanding the groves out of the spindles ( which I have done)& replacing the hub & bearings. Like I said I will probably replace the whole axle or have weld type spindal replaced. Since I have a single axle I'd probably worry about future failure. I have a road runner trailer. & will call Road runner Minus Dr., Ft Worth on Monday to see what they can do.

Was just trying to find out if anyone had been successful for the long haul sanding a grooved spindal and replacing hub & bearings.

s Surprized I had the hub crack & bearings fly out 12 mi. after hitting curb at low speed at braums. I used hi temp lucas red greese, and always had buddy bearings packed. The good hub off left side had no wear on bearings.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide