Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fish Finder Low VS Hum #11152896 10/08/15 11:15 PM
R
Ruffneck2000 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Time to upgrade my electronics from my old Low. I'm stuck between Hummingbird and Lowrance, all the features I need are SI, DI, NAV, HDI. I here different stuff from different folks, at one point I was sold on the Humm until a buds had to go to the shop and another bud had his Low tuned in by a guy who went to school for the both companies and he said stay away from Humm, what gives?

'A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including ones life.' (Author unknown)

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11152933 10/08/15 11:40 PM
R
Ruffneck2000 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
uhh a lil help over 19 peeks no speaks lol!

'A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including ones life.' (Author unknown)

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11152936 10/08/15 11:44 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I haven't had my boat in 2 years so I am sure there has been a few changes in the products...lol..however I started out with hummingbird, I think a 997 and 858. They were good but when I switched to low range it was a whole new world. To me there is no comparison, the image on a lowrance was hands down better.

Last edited by jsplinter; 10/09/15 12:48 AM.

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11152978 10/09/15 12:10 AM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I think you will like either one.
Both good units. Pro's and con's in each unit.
Flip a coin.

I'm always in a good mood when I'm fishing.
Kevin Kubiak
Lakes Somerville and Granger, crappie guide
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com
pro staff; proanglertackle.com

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153039 10/09/15 12:41 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Here is what I would do. Get an 1199 if u can find the closeout ones for around 1250.00 If not get an 899SI. THEN get the side imaging transducer AND a dedicated down image transducer and switchover box from humminbird. They will know what your after when you call. Then, you get the best of both worlds, great side imaging, and the ability to switch transducers to a down image transducer with the flip of a switch. Both transducers will go to the console unit . This is what Lowrance does with the dedicated DI transducer, but they use the LSS for the side scan.. Its all the same, just different ways to get there.
Then put either another 899 up front or an elite 5dsi or elite 7X.. The 7x doesnt have GPS And is cheaper.

Last edited by leanin post; 10/09/15 12:42 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153061 10/09/15 12:57 AM
G
Gonzz Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Lowrance all the way... Touch units...

1997 Stratos 201 PE W/ 2018 Merc Pro XS
USAF Retired
Owner @ Limits Tackle
http://www.facebook.com/limitstackle

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153269 10/09/15 02:21 AM
R
Ruffneck2000 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
ok now I'm leaning more to the Low.

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153484 10/09/15 10:38 AM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Call David at shut-up-and-fish
He can help you our with either brand.
I have to HDS touches but, I'd definately look at Garman!

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153491 10/09/15 11:00 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I been a Lowrance man for 40 years, but these new Humminbird units are very nice. I think with a good installation and some tuning, you will be satisfied with either brand.

Gman

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153531 10/09/15 11:48 AM
P
papamark Offline
Mini Tractor
Mini Tractor
P
and after you get them, set up an appointment with Slade, he will dial them in for you

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: papamark] #11153559 10/09/15 12:15 PM
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If your pocket book can stand it; no doubt, get the Humminbird Onix touch unit. Either 8" or 10". I've had just about every Lowrance and Humminbird, and the Onix is the best. Just my 2cents

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Ruffneck2000] #11153754 10/09/15 02:07 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I read allot about this before buying the Humminbird 1199 at the beginning of this year. My grief with Lowrance was buying a bunch of pieces and trying to make them work together. To me, water and connections on a boat don' t mix very well over time. The other problem I read about with Lowrance was there was no support for their older products.

Onix was above my budget, so I went with the discounted 1199. Humminbird (from what I read) has better Side Imaging and Lowrance has better Down Imaging. I mounted my transducer on the trolling motor and scan while trolling with a Minnkota Fortrex 80 lb. trolling motor. I set the SI to 50', 60' on each side and it is pretty easy to circle back and find anything I see while trolling.

Good Luck with your choice!

Last edited by Spiderman; 10/09/15 02:20 PM.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: OkieBob] #11154166 10/09/15 04:58 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: OkieBob
Call David at shut-up-and-fish
He can help you our with either brand.
I have to HDS touches but, I'd definately look at Garman!

David does not handle Lowrance any more.

I have Lowrance HDS Touches and love them!!! I like to say Clearly Clearer!!!

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: leanin post] #11155241 10/10/15 02:22 AM
B
Bigskippy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: leanin post
Here is what I would do. Get an 1199 if u can find the closeout ones for around 1250.00 If not get an 899SI. THEN get the side imaging transducer AND a dedicated down image transducer and switchover box from humminbird. They will know what your after when you call. Then, you get the best of both worlds, great side imaging, and the ability to switch transducers to a down image transducer with the flip of a switch. Both transducers will go to the console unit . This is what Lowrance does with the dedicated DI transducer, but they use the LSS for the side scan.. Its all the same, just different ways to get there.
Then put either another 899 up front or an elite 5dsi or elite 7X.. The 7x doesnt have GPS And is cheaper.

This seems like the right thing to do, however, if you get the 1199 you will still only have one side imaging crystal and the down image will still be made by a computer smashing two side images together, regardless of how many transducers you have. So it won't be near as good as something that has a dedicated down imaging crystal.The only humminbird unit with a side imaging crystal AND a dedicated down imaging crystal is the onyx. Or you could go with lowrance and have 2 crystals as well. Don't get me wrong, I love humminbird. It really just depends on your application... What are you fishing for and where?

I personally use both. I am mainly a crappie fisherman. Sure, I fish for other species from time to time but 90% I fish for crappie. Because of this I want a big ol' screen at the console so I can see side, down, sonar and chart so I can find them. I use a HDS-12 at the console and it does everything I need it to. If I didn't have HDS-12, I would also love a onyx-10. Both are great units and have thier good and not so good things about them.

At the bow however, I only want down imaging and maybe sonar from time to time. I don't need side imaging in the front, it doesn't work well on a trolling motor anyway. All I want to do is to be able to see a good image of my brush pile. So I use a humminbird 959 up front. Dedicated down imaging crystal. Great image. Cheap price. Get it from David at shut-up-and-fish. Good people and will go the extra mile to take care of you. And he has really nice power cables to run it too.

Next time you're at bass pro or cabelas look at the 899, and the 859 side by side. Put them both in down imaging. Notice the difference in detail you get between them. In my opinion the 59 series is the one to have on the front since side imaging isn't needed up there, at least for my kind of fishing.

You can't go wrong with either one though in my opinion.

Last edited by Bigskippy; 10/10/15 02:23 AM.

Glen Roberts

"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
Re: Fish Finder Low VS Hum [Re: Bigskippy] #11156288 10/10/15 09:29 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Bigskippy
Originally Posted By: leanin post

This seems like the right thing to do, however, if you get the 1199 you will still only have one side imaging crystal and the down image will still be made by a computer smashing two side images together, regardless of how many transducers you have. So it won't be near as good as something that has a dedicated down imaging crystal.The only humminbird unit with a side imaging crystal AND a dedicated down imaging crystal is the onyx. Or you could go with lowrance and have 2 crystals as well. Don't get me wrong, I love humminbird. It really just depends on your application... What are you fishing for and where?

I personally use both. I am mainly a crappie fisherman. Sure, I fish for other species from time to time but 90% I fish for crappie. Because of this I want a big ol' screen at the console so I can see side, down, sonar and chart so I can find them. I use a HDS-12 at the console and it does everything I need it to. If I didn't have HDS-12, I would also love a onyx-10. Both are great units and have thier good and not so good things about them.

At the bow however, I only want down imaging and maybe sonar from time to time. I don't need side imaging in the front, it doesn't work well on a trolling motor anyway. All I want to do is to be able to see a good image of my brush pile. So I use a humminbird 959 up front. Dedicated down imaging crystal. Great image. Cheap price. Get it from David at shut-up-and-fish. Good people and will go the extra mile to take care of you. And he has really nice power cables to run it too.

Next time you're at bass pro or cabelas look at the 899, and the 859 side by side. Put them both in down imaging. Notice the difference in detail you get between them. In my opinion the 59 series is the one to have on the front since side imaging isn't needed up there, at least for my kind of fishing.

You can't go wrong with either one though in my opinion.

This is not correct.. if you go to the humminbird website and do some research you will find that the transducer used on the dedicated down image units, will work on the 899 999 and 1199 series. You must use a switchbox to switch between the side image transducer and dedicated down image transducer
It is in fact the same DOWN IMAGING transducer used on the dedicated down scan units. It is not widely advertised because of course, they want to sell thier dedicated DI units.

Can I use the Down Imaging transducer with my Side Imaging Unit?

If you own one of our high definition side imaging products you can use a down imaging transducer with it to improve your down imaging readings. High definition side imaging products are only available in our 800 / 900 / 1100 / ONIX Series of products.

You will get readings if DI width is set to wide (this is the default). If you change to narrow, you will get no readings.

Your 2D readings will not be as good because the 2D element in the DI transducer is smaller; therefore, weaker than the 2D element in the SI transducer

You will not get any SI views that are correct.

It is best to use this DI transducer in conjunction with a transducer switch so that you can alternate between the DI imaging transducer and the SI transducer when viewing specific SI and 2D views.

Last edited by leanin post; 10/11/15 12:00 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide