Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fall fishing question #11149168 10/07/15 12:14 AM
S
skeeter james Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Ok, I always hear people say that bass chase shad to the back of creeks to feed up for winter. The question is, is every cove considered a creek? Or is it only the coves that actually have a creek feeding it that I should cconcentrate on???

I'm asking because some guys I fish with call these coves that don't have actual creeks feeding them creeks.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to learn some more.

Formerly known as progator james
2013 Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO... Love this boat!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11149324 10/07/15 01:35 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
It's actually a good question.

The shad are looking to move shallow, that's all. So creeks and coves can hold large numbers, especially if there are predator fish pushing them in there.

This time of year the easiest thing to do is look for bait on the side finder, if you have one. If you find bait in the creeks and coves this time of year, there are usually bass nearby.

Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11149391 10/07/15 02:00 AM
S
skeeter james Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thanks for the info !!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: timwins31] #11149503 10/07/15 02:39 AM
C
ChrisPowellFishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Nailed IT ON THE HEAD!
Originally Posted By: timwins31
It's actually a good question.

The shad are looking to move shallow, that's all. So creeks and coves can hold large numbers, especially if there are predator fish pushing them in there.

This time of year the easiest thing to do is look for bait on the side finder, if you have one. If you find bait in the creeks and coves this time of year, there are usually bass nearby.

Subscribe to the channel!
www.youtube.com/c/ChrisPowellFishingTV
Like me on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/ChrisPowellFishing
Follow me on Instagram @ChrisPowellFishing
Giving you a better understanding of the sport we love!
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11149533 10/07/15 02:51 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Your depth finder will be loaded with bait and all other species following them into creeks and coves. It will start at the mouth of them as you leave the main lake. The Bass and other species will push them up shallow every chance they get. Now there doesn't seem to be a rule to tell you which point or flat that will be on in that creek or cove that is loaded. You will have to fish several of them and catch them putting on the feed bag. You can usually locate the right point with a light Crig. and fluke. The good old crank bait will also produce.

If I am entering a cove or creek and looking; but do not see the heavy suspended line of fish and bait on the down scan, I will leave and run to the next one. I have never done that great in the shallows. They are so concentrated on the bait it is hard for me to get bit. I like the deeper water near the last 1/3 of the creek. I look for a point that has a hump that rises some and sticks out toward the center of the creek. The big Bass like to pile up there as it makes for a good stopping spot for them. I like it in 25 to 30 ft. of water.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11149637 10/07/15 04:02 AM
S
skeeter james Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thank you Mr. Harper!!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11149963 10/07/15 02:08 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I would consider coves and creeks two different things. Creeks are more narrow the farther in you go and funnel towards the back...with this you also get small drop offs and ledges along the way. This provides the fish different structures to use and assimilate to.

A cove IMO is more rounded and has less structure to it. I think a lot of times coves have bluff walls and such to them....

While both are similar, I do think there is a difference for sure.

Re: Fall fishing question [Re: musiclife_7] #11150085 10/07/15 03:30 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
I would consider coves and creeks two different things. Creeks are more narrow the farther in you go and funnel towards the back...with this you also get small drop offs and ledges along the way. This provides the fish different structures to use and assimilate to.

A cove IMO is more rounded and has less structure to it. I think a lot of times coves have bluff walls and such to them....

While both are similar, I do think there is a difference for sure.

The magic answer here is current. A Creek will have outflow and a cove will have inflow.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11150220 10/07/15 04:55 PM
Mayo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I guess it's all relative in terms of who you are talking to. A cove to me is a small circular shape area most times that typically does not have a creek running through it. It's like a bay or an indention off a body of water. A branch or tributary that dumps into the main lake body is what you're looking for and to me are larger than a cove and almost always have a creek or channel that run through them and into the main lake.

Bait fish and fish in general will use these creeks and channels as a road or a highway so to speak to navigate during seasonal changes. They'll move in and out of branches, tributaries and the main lake depending on the season. There are other ways they are used also. I'll list a couple of articals I recently read that helped me below.

Look at a hard map or a map app before getting on the lake and find some areas you think will hold bass according to the time of the season you're in. Once on the water graph those areas and look for baitfish. They'll look like a balloon or a large circular object balled up tightly. Now if you see them broken up and are irregular in shape you've hit the jackpot because this indicates active fish are feeding on them. Make sure to zigzag along the creeks and channels while graphing. If you don't see any sign of life and no bait fish don't waste your time fishing it and move to your next spot.

Hope this helped and good luck...

Fall Fishing

Drop Offs and Creeks

Last edited by Mayo; 10/08/15 02:46 AM.
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11151279 10/08/15 01:55 AM
Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin Offline
Angler
Angler
Thanks Mayo
Good read..

ShareLunker 3817
2019 Ranger Z520
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11151733 10/08/15 01:41 PM
S
skeeter james Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thanks Mayo, very helpful...

James Moore
214-458-8024
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11151876 10/08/15 02:48 PM
Mayo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
You're welcome guys... I'm soaking up as much as I can also. Got my first boat back in March but have been fishing forever. Being in a boat is definitely a differnent element in the sense of breaking down water and finding a pattern on the fish. I can't wait to get back out this weekend and use some of the tools mentioned in the articles above. I know the fish are there from graphing this past weekend. lizard

Last edited by Mayo; 10/08/15 02:52 PM.
Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11152410 10/08/15 07:56 PM
S
SlowDown Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
A creek and a cove are different as has been pointed out, but I locate and catch a lot of fish in coves in the spring and in fall, as well as in creeks.

Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11152872 10/08/15 11:00 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
See if any of this makes sense to you. I hate to disagree; but I believe most try to overthink this thing and have in there mines what a creek is, what a ditch is, what a feeder creek is, what a river is and what a cove is.

When we talk about our lakes they are all man made and designed to hold water. They are put in the most productive places to do just that. The bigger lakes are on a river and the smaller ones are on large feeder creeks. There is no water leaving those lakes except through the dam and pumps. When huge rains come they just back up, spread out and stay there until water is released.

Every cove on a lake if you look at a hard map will show the small creeks and drainage that feed that cove. The larger they are the farther the LINE will go out through the country side until it ends in the hills somewhere. Every cove I have ever fished has these; some are small and not very many but they are there. Even these small depressions must be found to find the better fish. Every notch in that cove is a drainage of some sort feeding the lake out of the hills around it. I am always looking for even the smallest points off of these notches within the cove that has hardwoods on it that drop off into deeper water. This is where you will find the bigger fish. They use these depressions as a hwy. to follow bait to the back of them and will hold on these small points.

These small creeks, drainage ditches and big creeks bounce back and forth from one side of the coves to the other side until they leave the cove. As a rule these depressions get deeper as they work there way toward the main river channel. It just depends on the size of the cove and the number of drainage ditches that feed into the main creek.

A cove is there because there are depressions in the contour of the land. That is what forms a cove and most have higher ground around them. They are a cove because they are deep at the mouth and water coming into the lake backs up in that depression. That deep depression or cove all have feeders that run down into that depression. Some are small, some are big and we tend to pay attention to the larger one because they are easier to read. Our new depth finders makes it very easy to follow every depression in a cove until it makes land fall.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Fall fishing question [Re: skeeter james] #11152873 10/08/15 11:00 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
See if any of this makes sense to you. I hate to disagree; but I believe most try to overthink this thing and have in there mines what a creek is, what a ditch is, what a feeder creek is, what a river is and what a cove is.

When we talk about our lakes they are all man made and designed to hold water. They are put in the most productive places to do just that. The bigger lakes are on a river and the smaller ones are on large feeder creeks. There is no water leaving those lakes except through the dam and pumps. When huge rains come they just back up, spread out and stay there until water is released.

Every cove on a lake if you look at a hard map will show the small creeks and drainage that feed that cove. The larger they are the farther the LINE will go out through the country side until it ends in the hills somewhere. Every cove I have ever fished has these; some are small and not very many but they are there. Even these small depressions must be found to find the better fish. Every notch in that cove is a drainage of some sort feeding the lake out of the hills around it. I am always looking for even the smallest points off of these notches within the cove that has hardwoods on it that drop off into deeper water. This is where you will find the bigger fish. They use these depressions as a hwy. to follow bait to the back of them and will hold on these small points.

These small creeks, drainage ditches and big creeks bounce back and forth from one side of the coves to the other side until they leave the cove. As a rule these depressions get deeper as they work there way toward the main river channel. It just depends on the size of the cove and the number of drainage ditches that feed into the main creek.

A cove is there because there are depressions in the contour of the land. That is what forms a cove and most have higher ground around them. They are a cove because they are deep at the mouth and water coming into the lake backs up in that depression. That deep depression or cove all have feeders that run down into that depression. Some are small, some are big and we tend to pay attention to the larger one because they are easier to read. Our new depth finders makes it very easy to follow every depression in a cove until it makes land fall.

Websiite Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide