Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,853
Posts13,935,641
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt #11150714 10/07/15 09:09 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
catch a bunch of slabs of course. I had been throwing a big chartuse and white for bass and went down the edge of a dock. It got nailed by really nice crappie. Went and found a smaller clouser and all I had was pink and white and man did they hate that thing. For an hour and a half pulled twin slabs out almost every cast. Caught around 50 I had the cooler and fillet knife but went ahead and pitched them back may have a deer and a pig to take back in it lot of critters running around and had a fun break in the middle.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11150871 10/07/15 10:25 PM
B
Bovine Offline
Angler
Angler
B
you threw all of them back? eeks

Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11151198 10/08/15 01:19 AM
Cowtown Kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Those are some nice fish!

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"
Kayak Fisherman and Real Estate Broker

Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. ~Izaak Walton
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11151208 10/08/15 01:24 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Yes bovine they all went back and with no moon critters did not want to start moving until dark I could've thrown them on ice. Two really big fish fries went to waste right there lol

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11151271 10/08/15 01:51 AM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Thats a great way to spend some time

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11152352 10/08/15 07:14 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
So... Why are you hunting??? roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11152559 10/08/15 09:06 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Catching 50 crappie on the fly. That's an awesome day by itself. Well done, I'll make sure I have a couple of pink and white clousers for the Yegua. Those suckers hate everything.

Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11153297 10/09/15 02:37 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Lol j-moe was the weirdest thing. The first one hit casting a long one of the pillars of the dock almost instantly. Then I could not buy a bite for about five minutes and that was all I could take I know where there is one Crappie there may be 100 or more. Went on the dock and went vertical and they hit before it ever reached the bottom most cast only problem is we are hurting for water still and I had 6x on the rod I grabed out of the truck. As I did not have a lot of conventional beer with me or flyfishing gear for that matter I was afraid to break off the only pink and white Clouser I had I tied it on my jig rod for a bit but they would not even sniff it with the 15 pound line I had it was way too thick. So I couldn't lift them to me and didn't want to get them to land and walk back the dock jump off and walk to the bank to land them. The biggest indicator I had was still too small to keep the fly up. I rummaged through my stuff a little bit longer and finally found a thing a bobber that would still float it. The fish were closly stacked in the shadow of the dock on ambush. As it was almost mid day noon when I started the shadow moved relatively quickly from straight up noon if you landed in the sun you might as well cast again. I set the indicator to about 8 inches off the bottom and used the subtle breeze and the waves to get the action much like a float and fly technique for smallmouth. Once it landed I would let it sit for a bit and then take my stripping hand almost up to the first guide and slowly pull it back at a very steady pace it rarely went a foot before it triggered a strike. Much like sandbass there are days they eat anything in front of their face. Them there are other days if you are not dialed in on an exact presentation they are wanting your buddy is standing two feet from you with the same fly pulling them out every cast all while you want to pull your hair out. Although I'm just gathering this reaction from observing my buddies lol violin roflmao:) in all seriousness I have seen sandies that wouldn't eat unless in an eddy or going down up or across current dead drifted ect. Crappie are the same way both school fish and most of the time not to picky till you run into a wall and know your right in the middle of them. Heck I hit them after I post this a bit before I jumped up in the stand. They had slowed a little but caught another 10-12 in 25-30 min. I really did a lot of work around my stand during the day clearing out some shooting lanes and working on a trail camera and with no moon deer seam to move in the pitch black I see more deer moving at midday on Fullmoon you think it would be the other way around. So that being said Capt Mac I think you're right I probably should've just sit there and killed those suckers until dark. As I was walking out of my stand in the dark I spooked five or six deer that were halfway to the feeder while I was going back to my truck. Hey fitz.? You ever see my pm on times next week? If time worked out we could go hit my private water even next week.

Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11155320 10/10/15 03:44 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Solid post Robert! Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11156584 10/11/15 01:30 AM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Great information Robert. I'll get out the popper dropper and cast into the shadows!!!!

Bluegill and Sunfish are the same way. Once you find one, you can usually find many more. Although today I seemed to only be finding the big loaners. Which is OK, fewer but bigger fish works for me too!!!

Re: Found a good way to pass time between my morning and evening bow hunt [Re: Robert Hunter] #11156896 10/11/15 04:43 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
The crappie were pushed shallow for sure Jamie. Most of then were in the four to six fow mark

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide