Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff #11147702 10/06/15 06:40 AM
OldFrog Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Hey guys,

Here's what I know so far about my 2005 Kenner 180V-90 Tunnel with a 5 1/2 inch manual jackplate:

Spoke with Michael at Powertech at length about my boat, how I plan to use it, my load, etc. ( Yamaha 90- 2 stroke) This particular Kenner model is only rated for a 90. That's why I bought it. 990 lbs.

He suggested at 4 blade RXB4, 14 pitch with 5/16 vent holes. So I ordered it. (after he assured me it wont sling a blade like 2 of my friend's Powertech props have done)

My cavitation plate is currently set about 1/2 inch above the top of the tunnel.

Installed it and went to the red river...which was barely flowing. Flat water, no chop. Headed up river.

20 gallons of fuel, one tackle box and a 110 lb female aboard. No ice, etc....not even close to a "fishing load". I weigh 168 lbs. No gps on board yet. No speedo.

Hole shot was Ok ( I know it'll never be like my Skeeter bass boat)....but it hit a wall at 4500 RPMs until I began to trim it up. Kept trimming to 5200 RPMS, all the time watching water pressure gauge and peeking back at the cavitation plate when I could....making sure it was wet. It was only being splashed. (It needs to run 5500 RPMs at WOT.)

Dont know the speed, and (almost) dont care. I just felt like it was still a little sluggish after the hole shot and I shouldnt have to trim it that far to get in the middle of the engine's power band. This hull isnt really made to run like a bassboat....so I'm thinking I need to drop 1 inch on the pitch. ( I have 3 weeks to change the pitch for free)
If I add a fat bubba, tackle, another 17 gals of fuel and ice...it isnt going to move....like it is. 'Cant see raising the jackplate much if at all.

Tell me what I'm missing, guys ? You KNOW I'll fish some skinny water in and around Lake Calcasieu, but 75% of the time, I'll be in 4ft or more.

And of course, I'd love to get 40 MPH out of it, but I dont think it's even possible.

Thanks in advance.

Now, Donald...please pick John Bolton for your running mate.
Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11147895 10/06/15 01:05 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
any engine will hit a wall , unless you trim the engine. you have to "unwet" the hull to create lift!

not sure what the actual prop shaft height is.. i don't measure the cav plate. measure the actual prop shaft height.

on that rig. i'd start at 3.75" below pad. and see what it does.

sounds to me like the motor is too low.

another possibility is the rxb may need some tip cup added for more grip and bow lift.. not sure.

personally i'm not a big fan of the rxb as the blade surface area is kinda small.

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11148180 10/06/15 03:11 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Tunnel hull flats rigs should never be confused with a bass hull, apples and bacon...

It's all about the holeshot, and getting out of places you don't want to walk in.

I like hydraulic plates, they make everything work like it can.
I also like compression plates, not to be confused with whale tail thingies, they take the scattered water out of the tunnel and compress it into the prop. Shallow blaster is my favorite, but there's several on the market.

That prop is what I would have picked, just made sure it had the right vent holes drilled in it, makes a difference.

I usually set the motor height at 3 1/2"-4" prop shaft under the top of the tunnel. Low water pickups, higher plate settings can get you back into places it takes a helicopter to get you out of. Sorta like four wheel drive....

[img:center][/img]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11148626 10/06/15 06:41 PM
OldFrog Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Thanks guys. I'll measure the prop shaft center using the top of the tunnel, place it at 3.75 and go from there. I havent moved the jackplate yet. It had a 90 merc on it when I bought it and I left the height where it was when I installed the Yamaha and discarded the Merc. ( no Mercs allowed in my family..:) ) Had to have a reference point....so it was left alone.

Will post up results after measuring and raising it, if needed.

**And Pat, I LOVE to wade ! I'm more at home IN the water than riding on top of it. Been that way since I was in kindergarten. Unfortunately, not all of my friends like to wade. Buncha' Sissies.

Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11149817 10/07/15 12:33 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Most people fish for convenience, not for fish.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11158274 10/12/15 01:36 AM
H
HOOKNBULLET2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I had the exact same boat

I started with a 16P 3 blade that was ok.

3 or so props later I found a 19P cupped bauman that turned out to be perfect. Great holeshot and could hit 44 mph on the GPS solo.

Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11161460 10/13/15 05:53 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
X2 on the compression plate. You start losing bite due the water spraying out of the tunnel. Compression plate directs water back to prop instead of up like the tunnel directs it. That wall is probably when you start losing water.
Ive got a shallow blaster on mine. I like it. I am in a tin boat, but its tunneled. Compression plate wont even be in water on plain

I should also add that at least on my set it requires no drilling, I used about 1/2 tube of silicone.

Last edited by Dawson Hefner; 10/13/15 05:59 PM.

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11261588 12/04/15 06:37 AM
OldFrog Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Update: ( sorry for the delay)

The weekend before the "mini monsoon" season began :

I measured from the center of the prop shaft to the top of the pocket tunnel.
It was lower than I thought...and...Since it's a manual jackplate. ( this will be changed, I promise !), and a PITA to lift, I went UP to about 4 inches.

Took it down to Hackberry for the first time...eased out of Joe's cove and into the ship channel, right into a south wind and incoming tide. WITH the Bimini top up....but folded back. Full fishing load. Hole shot was even better than before.... and then I began trimming it. No more "wall". It seemed to have a bit of slip at 36 mph gps and about ....( I'm trying to remember, here..)...5000 or maybe 5200 RPMs. But it was fine. It will do 40 easily. And that will get me to safety in 75% of the cases.

I was happy....especially because of the stiff headwind and tide..as well as the top not being all the way down.

The next day, in West Cove and an east wind on my bow, creating some pretty nice little whitecaps, I reversed course in a tough and nailed it. Only for a second did I notice it lose the bite due to the rollers following...which is to be expected with it jacked up. Once I straightened up and was on plane...it was fine.

I think I can raise it a hair more...but it performed so well, I'm gonna leave it for now. ( water pressure was great the whole weekend..something I failed to mention.

Sorry it took so long to get back and report, but I want to thank you guys for the input. I'm also happy with the 4 blade prop that Powertech suggested.

Also made another new friend down there....who fishes 3 days a week. He put us on some fish in a place I'd never tried...so it was a great little trip. Your input just made it that much more enjoyable. I LOVE this boat now ! thumb

Pat, Steve...and all the others....I really appreciate it !

Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11261753 12/04/15 01:54 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
good news. thanks for sharing.

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11261798 12/04/15 02:12 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Very good news, now go annoy some fish in it.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Prop/setup for Kenner tunnel for SteveCP & Pat Goff [Re: OldFrog] #11266621 12/07/15 06:10 AM
OldFrog Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
"Annoying fish " seems to be what I do on more days than I'd like to admit.

Got the new riptide installed today, and a few other little things. 'Might need to take it back down to Hackberry next weekend. ( to test the riptide and annoy fish, of course !)

That crabmeat stuffed flounder never gets old. I added ritz crackers to the recipe last week....and now I'm itchin' for more.

Going to be interesting to see how the extra weight on the bow affects performance. Hopefully, not much.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide