Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,234
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11172124 10/19/15 10:48 AM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
How many were at Arlington John?

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11172153 10/19/15 11:41 AM
J
John Stockman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: John Stockman] #11172584 10/19/15 03:17 PM
C
cchoww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: John Stockman
OK I've remained silent. Here's my opinions. First DFW is huge. A guy in Weatherford has a hard time fishing say Purtis Creek. Likewise a guy in Kaufman has a hard time hitting Amon Carter. An East and west division could help. Second, the entry fees. We already have 2 high risk high reward series here. Example, maybe Mariner has an eastern series with say a $30 entry. Backwoods has a western series. 4 events each, with overlapping dates to keep calendar as clear as possible. After those 4 events an aoy is claimed. Then there is a east vs west event similar to north vs south. Third, and maybe most importantly study the calendar and choose dates carefully. Before I get bashed I know there are a ton of events all the time. Conflicting dates only hurt these events. We as tournament anglers trust the TD's to plan accordingly. Not bashing anyone but yesterday is a good example, two events I wanted to fish but had to choose one. Most everyone knows I'm a CCKF guy but would really love to support APT as well. I'll be supporting Backwoods Sat. I love fishing tournaments not biased which. Yesterday a total of 25 guys fished tournaments, those same 25 guys could and probably would of fished both if they had the opportunity.

How about a Sunday trail, since all the tournaments being held now are on Saturday? Just a suggestion. I have no preference but maybe to combat the problem of overlapping events.

Last edited by cchoww; 10/19/15 03:17 PM.
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: John Stockman] #11173041 10/19/15 06:49 PM
Robbie Milam Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: John Stockman
thumb

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11179150 10/22/15 05:39 PM
R
RHerzog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
You guys are on the right track. I see a lot of similarities between where you guys are now and where we were at one point. As mentioned, start off grass roots and keep it going no matter what. If 85% of attendance is he same 25 guys over and over again for a year or two, so be it. Build that core group of anglers and expand off of that. Anglers will come and go for one reason or another but as long as you keep adding to the core group, slowly but surely, you will be there. Put ego's aside and be respectful to one another. Act professional but at the same time, have a freaking blast at the events. It is impossible to make everyone happy so keep that in mind BUT it is imperative that you guys work together and listen to the anglers. Don't be afraid to take chances and try new things. It is ok to fail. It's better to try and fail, then to never try at all. If you fail, get off of your butt, make a change and move forward. You will not grow unless you able to do this. Get the youngsters involved. Community outreach is huge and we have seen several youngsters fish events with us. Some of those guys are starting to grow up and it's just a matter of time before they start really having success. Have a beer with your buddies afterwards but have respect for others, youngsters included, and don't get trashed or get high around everyone else. Keep that in your personal life. Sorry if this sounds like a corny motivational speech but when it all boils down to it, it works.

Just keep on going guys and you'll be there before you know it.

2013 KATS Classic Champion
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

KATS ANGLER PROFILE

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11180326 10/23/15 05:00 AM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
I've only read through the first page of comments but I'll add some insight from my perspective.

KATS was built over many many years. It was only recently that it grew to 100+ anglers and even that turnout is only for the first few events. Don't lose sight of these facts and dont get discouraged over a 20 angler turnout.

Your events need to start out with someone local heading things up. Someone who is in touch with the fishing community on a personal level. Whether this person(s) works with a store or alone I don't think matters but they need to connect with the people and understand what is expected out of a series. Make no mistakes, its a full time job and grass roots is the best way to grow the scene.

Bite your tongues. If you're not going to give physical or monetary support to the tournament director, dont criticize what they are doing. This is especially true if you arent even fishing their events. Nothing discourages people from running events more than moaning and groaning, especially if you are paying money out of your own pocket to host things. I know because I ran and helped run our thursday nighters. As of now, our thursday nighters are non existent in part due to a few people who offered nothing more than complaints. Flat out I have better things to do than listen to a bunch of grown men complain about a $10 tournament and offer no real assistance.

You have to be willing to travel. With the exception of Town Lake and Decker, all other lakes are a minimum of 1 hour from austin. For 90% of everyone, Town Lake and Decker are at least 30 minutes with no traffic. With the recent "green" movement Bastrop doesnt stay hot in the winter either since the plant isnt generating. Decker has a power plant but it rarely gets used, and fayette is at least 1.5 hours from austin. True our lakes dont get as cold as DFW's but we still fight the cold and its not always like shooting fish in a barrell, trust me. Anyhow, our guys are willing to drive 1-4 hours for a tournament. No excuses, no complaints, just passion for tournaments and competing.

Also, dont think that ACK is dumping endless funds into KATS. For the most part they supply the labor and thats about it. Its really growing because of the anglers. When was the last time you saw an ad for KATS on the ACK website or facebook page?

Chris P. brought up motivation. What does motivate you guys? I can tell you most of the guys I know would fish KATS even if it was just a simple payout and no sponsors or raffles. Most of us honestly just enjoy being able to brag that we were the best for that one day, hanging out with friends, and having fun. Money, prizes, awards, are simply a bonus for us. I find it hard to believe a majority of guys in Texas are in it for big payouts but it seems to be a deciding factor for some. Look at the Texas turnout for the KBS event at Rayburn. Only a handful of guys from Texas even showed up and only I showed up from the Austin area. This could have been a HUGE payout event, so I dont get it. Im not bragging about us that showed, Im just stating my extreme disappointment in that turnout and the frustration it probably caused KBS.

Dont think a tournament scene will appear just because. You have to put in lots of hard work, hours, money, and thankless effort. Good luck fellas, I'd love to see the north texas scene explode.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: ebk06] #11180656 10/23/15 02:00 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great response Marcus! clap

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11180694 10/23/15 02:13 PM
G
Green Fish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Without Dennis, starting and running KATS, it would have never gotten off the ground...yes, he had some help...but it was his vision and his hard work that made it work in the beginning, and if ACK had not taken over from Dennis...KATS would not be around in it's current form today. I think you have a better chance of getting a budget through Congress than getting 5 different stores to agree on a tournament series. It is hard enough to schedule and run a tournament series with one store, let alone 5 different stores. You need one store in charge that is willing to agree to put the time and resources into developing a tournament series and that includes getting the sponsors, providing the tournament staff, developing the tournament website, coming up with the resources to run the tournaments including how to collect the money via a secure website, the computers, the e-mails...all the necessary things for running a successful tournament series.

One store has to be in charge...if all stores are in charge...than no one is in charge...and nothing will become of this other than talk and wishful thinking.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11180917 10/23/15 03:38 PM
R
RHerzog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Jerry Hamon

He has the wisdom of a 100 year old Flathead......that's for sure.

Ha Ha.....sometimes I make myself laugh.

Sorry to the Dallas crew for us stinky Austin guys muddying up your thread. Carry on.

2013 KATS Classic Champion
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

KATS ANGLER PROFILE

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11181173 10/23/15 05:40 PM
C
Coach P Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
while I wont be accepting a nomination for speaker of the house or anything similar in congress anytime soon, I can confidently say that many positive steps have been made in the last few weeks. I would like to thank the pro-staff representing their sponsored stores for meeting and presenting to the local retailers. Without their hard work and dedication none of it would have been possible. I expect some details to be released soon, so stay tuned.

popcorn

Last edited by Coach P; 10/23/15 05:42 PM.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11181291 10/23/15 06:48 PM
T
The Black Hammer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
popcorn popcorn

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: RHerzog] #11181475 10/23/15 08:29 PM
P
pontiactech Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: RHerzog
Originally Posted By: Jerry Hamon

He has the wisdom of a 100 year old Flathead......that's for sure.

Ha Ha.....sometimes I make myself laugh.

Sorry to the Dallas crew for us stinky Austin guys muddying up your thread. Carry on.
Ya'll aren't stinking up the thread Ryan we all appreciate the input ideas are what we are looking for

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11186368 10/26/15 02:21 AM
J
John Stockman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Let's keep this going. I've seen a ton of new faces his year. I think part of it is a credit to the Facebook site DFW Kayak Fishing. We excluded those stinky ATX guys lol. In all seriousness we are growing.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11188685 10/27/15 03:42 AM
Acts 4-11-12 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I want to see bass at the scales keep your cameras at home

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Acts 4-11-12] #11188711 10/27/15 04:16 AM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Acts 4-11-12
I want to see bass at the scales keep your cameras at home

How do you propose that to happen without live wells?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide