Forums59
Topics1,038,925
Posts13,955,565
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138439 10/01/15 05:57 AM
T
The Ninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
OK this is looking good. but there are 2 things that are key IMO.
1. A rookie/amateur/social division is a MUST to grow this sport. If you don't agree look at the ATX scene vs. ours. Pretty cut and dry. Social divisions works period.
2. Whose going to be the one neutral individual or team that going to be the Tourney Director/s. Will they get payed? You have to have a non bias to any shop person to run it.
Going to bed ill elaborate in the morning if needed.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: The Ninja] #11138489 10/01/15 10:36 AM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Separate divisions works with numbers. Its hard to have more then one division with five anglers....Great idea when we can build participation though! It does work well with KATS.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138570 10/01/15 12:05 PM
J
Jason Delfraisse Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I vote for torchy's tacos in grapevine! Thursday the 15th of October 8pm

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138707 10/01/15 01:15 PM
Palovik Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I for one hope this works out, but also hoping for all the right reasons. Several of us have ran tournaments over the years, and do not think the issue is with sponsorship. Dallas has some of the best Kayak dealers around and really supports the community. The normal issue is time, money and effort involved, if someone thinks you are going to get rich running these please try and run one.

Today there are several small tournaments and I feel they have all done well, but here again this is because the support of dealers and the people running them! Also have several really large ones if you are willing to travel around to make these.

Lately have been asked by several high school clubs wanting to get into the sport and start tournaments, but these are easier as it is normally a teacher running these and is part of a program, this can only help out the sport.

If you want to see something larger, I feel you will need to find someone that is willing to work for free and is extremely invested in it for the long haul, at least 2 - 3 years. Do not feel sponsorship is or will be the issue, just have to find someone that has the time and really wants to see something like this in the DFW area.

Just my 2 cents worth

Kayak Adventures, Rigging, and Fishing Challenges
http://www.kayakfishon.com/
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138737 10/01/15 01:33 PM
K
KMX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I'd like to get involved.

GOD & Guns!
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Jason Delfraisse] #11138765 10/01/15 01:46 PM
J
jasoniam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Jason Delfraisse

And all kayakers should stand out front with Kayaks in hand chanting!!!!!
coach

[Linked Image]
Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138863 10/01/15 02:26 PM
C
cchoww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Hey guys, I got a chance to participate in the majority of the tournaments that Todd held this year and enjoyed them all. My suggestion is for the tournament organizers to put together a survey for the guys interested in fishing tournaments or who have participated in tournaments in the DFW area to see what makes them decide on why they fish it or not. Post the survey on a separate thread here in the kayak section and ask people to share the survey on other social media outlets. Hopefully the organizers get some idea from the guys participating/interested in the tourney scene to help build it even further than it is right now.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Jason Delfraisse] #11138890 10/01/15 02:40 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y

Is this a good time and venue to start working on this? I can make it work. Feedback encouraged.......

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138998 10/01/15 03:24 PM
P
pontiactech Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Don't know where tochy's is but I do know that Fuzzy's on 121 and Glade in Grapevine has a patio

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11138999 10/01/15 03:24 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I think a meeting is needed on several matters here but it needs to be private between store owners and their organizers. A PM would be good idea to set the time and date.

I'm headed to the coast the 12-18. Good luck guys! I've got salt on the brain for the next couple weeks and 2016 season is the last thing on my mind.

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11139022 10/01/15 03:37 PM
K
KevinB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
My two cents. As a relatively new kayaker and amateur fisherman at best. The entry fee is the deterrent for me. I have a hard time dishing out $50-75 plus a registration fee for a series when I know I'll never win anything because of my lack of skills as a fisherman. Yes, yes, I know. time on the water etc. I've done several of the Mariner Sails sponsored working mans fun tourneys, but they are free. I just signed up for my first paid tournament this weekend, but its supporting H.O.W so I don't mind donating to the cause.

I think a way to grow the tourney trail is to help new fisherman become better fisherman so that they feel that they might have a chance if fortune shines on them on any given day. I know that Jason recently held a clinic about fishing deep with Jigs. More in store or better yet on the water clinics that actually show people how to become better fisherman would be awesome. Heck I would love to literally follow some of you guys around in my kayak as you fished and just ask questions as you went about your business so that I could better understand various techniques and ask why you choosing a particular technique at a particular time or fishing a particular area as opposed to another area.

Kevin

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Todd] #11139121 10/01/15 04:28 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: Todd
I think a meeting is needed on several matters here but it needs to be private between store owners and their organizers. A PM would be good idea to set the time and date.

I'm headed to the coast the 12-18. Good luck guys! I've got salt on the brain for the next couple weeks and 2016 season is the last thing on my mind.

That was recently suggested to me by another shop owner......I prefer the open format for now.........I agree, there will be a time for that but I'm really liking all of the feedback and new suggestions we are seeing here. So for now, I'm an inclusive open forum vote!

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Coach P] #11139122 10/01/15 04:28 PM
J
Jason Delfraisse Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We will be hosting more clinics at the shop Kevin. One a month actually. This months will be on the water Saturday, during the gtg. Stay tuned for the next one. As I know you fill be fishing. As for following people around unless it's a serious tournament I have no problems explaining who what where when and why I am doing what ever it may be. Just ask!

Good info Kevin thank you!

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: Jason Delfraisse] #11139166 10/01/15 04:44 PM
P
pontiactech Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
We will be hosting more clinics at the shop Kevin. One a month actually. This months will be on the water Saturday, during the gtg. Stay tuned for the next one. As I know you fill be fishing. As for following people around unless it's a serious tournament I have no problems explaining who what where when and why I am doing what ever it may be. Just ask!

Good info Kevin thank you!

Yep same goes for me although I don't know how much you can learn from me lol. But seriously that is one of the main goals of the Thurs night tournaments is to let new people learn and ask questions never feel like there is a dumb question we all have different ways that we do things and different techniques that we are comfortable with so talk to as many people as you can spend as much time on the water as you can learning and trying new techniques .

Re: What's wrong with DFW kayak tournaments? [Re: yakintime] #11139170 10/01/15 04:45 PM
J
Jason Delfraisse Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: yakintime
Originally Posted By: Todd

That was recently suggested to me by another shop owner......I prefer the open format for now.........I agree, there will be a time for that but I'm really liking all of the feedback and new suggestions we are seeing here. So for now, I'm an inclusive open forum vote!

I have to agree with yakintime...an open forum where we can take everyone's ideas into consideration is a good way to make these events something that everyone will love and enjoy. The amount of knowledge we can all gain from a public open form can be unreal!

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide