Print Thread
Types of fishing line. #11134437 09/29/15 01:08 PM
Y
yankee817299 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Could one of you seasoned fishermen give us less experienced fishers a short lesson on the different types of fishing lines. I know that the braided line is the strongest, but is also the most visible (I think?). Would you use a leader with the braided, or just tie up your lure at the end of the line? If you use a leader, which would you use, fluorocarbon or mono filament? Which type of line would be a good all around line. I am not targeting any one type of fish, just fishing for whatever bites. Also using a spinning outfit, but in the process of learning to use a bait cast at the moment.

Thanks for any and all input.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11134483 09/29/15 01:22 PM
P
Pufferfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I have a real interest in this too. I have fished most of my life, but have just jumped back into it after about a 15 year hiatus. I grew up just using one line for everything...we never had braided, and im not sure why you would even need a leader of different line! Im interested to hear people's take on this subject, Yankee beat me to the punch!

A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11134509 09/29/15 01:32 PM
A
aggieman775 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Both is alright It depends what I am fishing with. I fish braid on frogs and big worms but that's about it. I like fluorocarbon for soft plastics and trilene transoptic for reaction baits.

Tight lines and god bless
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11134542 09/29/15 01:48 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L

Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11134861 09/29/15 04:33 PM
Strictly Biznuss Offline
Angler
Angler
Looks like lipjerk probably found you a good link for the information you are looking for.

The most important thing is that you know a few of the basic properties/characteristics of each type of line. There are three primary types of line we use in bass fishing. Here's my short version:
Braid: No stretch, high visibility, thin diameter, low memory, floats, high abrasion resistance.
Fluorocarbon: Very little stretch, low visibility, medium memory, sinks, good abrasion resistance.
Monofilament: High stretch, moderate visibility, high memory, floats, lower abrasion resistance.

These are very important properties to consider when selecting which line to use with certain presentations. Out of those characteristics, this is how I would rate those characteristics in order of importance when considering which one to use... starting with the most important characteristic...
1) Floats vs Sinks (buoyancy)
2) Stretch
3) Abrasion resistance
4) Diameter
5) Memory
6) Visibility

As you can see, visibility rates pretty low on my list. Other characteristics are far more important because most of them will affect the performance of your lure which impacts how many bites you will get far more than line visibility ever will. These characteristics are important to consider because, for example, if you throw a topwater lure on fluorocarbon line, which sinks, it will bog the lure down in the water and screw up the intended action of the lure.

To answer your questions specifically:
-With braid, sometimes I use a leader and sometimes I don't. The main things I consider with tying on a leader to braid are... what lure/presentation am I using, what is the water clarity like, and how heavy of cover am I fishing around?
-When I use a leader with braid, it is pretty much always fluoro. Except for when I am tying a Carolina-rig, then it's mono.
-A good, all around line? Fluorocarbon is on probably 70% of my reels, so I'd say that's the best bet for all around. If you've grown up using mono though, beware that there is a learning curve when using fluoro. A lot of guys hate fluoro when they first start using it. It has very little stretch and can cause more tangles/backlashes when you are first using it. A lot of guys give up on fluoro after one or two uses and call it "[censored]," but that's because they never get past the learning curve. Get past the learning curve and it is much better than mono.

Hope that helps.

Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: Strictly Biznuss] #11135111 09/29/15 06:43 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Strictly Biznuss
Looks like lipjerk probably found you a good link for the information you are looking for.

The most important thing is that you know a few of the basic properties/characteristics of each type of line. There are three primary types of line we use in bass fishing. Here's my short version:
Braid: No stretch, high visibility, thin diameter, low memory, floats, high abrasion resistance.
Fluorocarbon: Very little stretch, low visibility, medium memory, sinks, good abrasion resistance.
Monofilament: High stretch, moderate visibility, high memory, floats, lower abrasion resistance.

These are very important properties to consider when selecting which line to use with certain presentations. Out of those characteristics, this is how I would rate those characteristics in order of importance when considering which one to use... starting with the most important characteristic...
1) Floats vs Sinks (buoyancy)
2) Stretch
3) Abrasion resistance
4) Diameter
5) Memory
6) Visibility

As you can see, visibility rates pretty low on my list. Other characteristics are far more important because most of them will affect the performance of your lure which impacts how many bites you will get far more than line visibility ever will. These characteristics are important to consider because, for example, if you throw a topwater lure on fluorocarbon line, which sinks, it will bog the lure down in the water and screw up the intended action of the lure.

To answer your questions specifically:
-With braid, sometimes I use a leader and sometimes I don't. The main things I consider with tying on a leader to braid are... what lure/presentation am I using, what is the water clarity like, and how heavy of cover am I fishing around?
-When I use a leader with braid, it is pretty much always fluoro. Except for when I am tying a Carolina-rig, then it's mono.
-A good, all around line? Fluorocarbon is on probably 70% of my reels, so I'd say that's the best bet for all around. If you've grown up using mono though, beware that there is a learning curve when using fluoro. A lot of guys hate fluoro when they first start using it. It has very little stretch and can cause more tangles/backlashes when you are first using it. A lot of guys give up on fluoro after one or two uses and call it "[censored]," but that's because they never get past the learning curve. Get past the learning curve and it is much better than mono.

Hope that helps.

Good info right there. He saved me a bunch of typing...

Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11135232 09/29/15 07:36 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Monofilament is an inexpensive line that you can use for most of your fishing. Mono is a floating line that has quite a bit of stretch.
Big Game is a good choice if you are wanting to use a monofilament line.

A Copolymer line is a step above Monofialament. It will cost you more $ but it usually has better abrasion resistance and overall strength. McCoys mean green, P Line premium, CXX and Voltage are good choices there. It can be used for all techniques although I mostly use it for top water baits (other than a frog) and crank baits. It is a floating line also.

Fluorocarbon is a step above a Copolymer line. It is more sensitive and it is supposed to be less visible to the fish. It is the most expensive of the three but it is worth it when you are fishing baits where you need a sense of feel,soft plastics and jigs.
I also like this line for mid and deep crank baits since it is a sinking line. I like Invizx the best.

Braid is a woven line with practically no stretch. I just use it in certain situations. I use it on a spinning reel because it does not have memory like the other lines do. I use a leader of fluorocarbon tied to the braid. I use this for drop shotting
I tie braid direct with no leader when I am fishing a top water frog. Most braids are a floating line. Braid can be a pain to fish with when it is windy. Braid is relatively expensive to buy, but it lasts forever.
If you get hung up DO NOT pull on it with your fingers, you will cut right through them if you do. Use a stick or something solid to wrap the line around if you are going to pull on it. I like Suffix, and Power Pro.

That about sums it up.

Last edited by ezbassin; 09/29/15 07:40 PM.
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11135398 09/29/15 09:03 PM
P
Pufferfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
This is excellent info! Thanks to all you guys, this totally clears things up! Love this forum!

A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: Pufferfish] #11153603 10/09/15 12:48 PM
Y
yankee817299 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Y
Wow, you guys are awesome. This is a wonderful education for myself and I am sure to others as well.

Maybe the Mods. could put this info in a sticky??? Or create an info sub forum???

Thanks for all of the information, it is very much appreciated.

Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11153619 10/09/15 12:58 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Fluorocarbon does stretch. Almost as much as mono. Just an FYI. It's main difference opposed to mono is its light transmission and density. It is much less visible under water and the density allows it to sink. If you don't think it stretches, hang a crank on some rocks and try to break it off. Lol. It will stretch so much that you can make a 200 yard spool seem as long as a 225 yard spool. Lol.

Other things to know about different lines? There is an optimum knot to tie for each type. And fluorocarbon line is finicky when tying. Make sure to lubricate the knot A LOT when cinching. It will burn the line and break very easily if you don't. Mono ties easily. Braid slips with some knots.

I use a palomar knot for braid. An improved clinch for mono, and a sandiego jam or uni for fluorocarbon.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Types of fishing line. [Re: yankee817299] #11153636 10/09/15 01:10 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I use a palomar knot for all of them but if you do not know how to tie it correctly then I would avoid using it with fluorocarbon line.

I use a Fishin fool or a double Pitzen knot for fluorocarbon most of the time.

You can see both of them here: http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide