It does make a diffrence #11128727 09/26/15 03:01 PM
N
Nutman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
In terms of actually catching fish
It does make a difference when you know where the fish are.
After 3 days on a Fork during the Sealy and zero fish, I thought I had list the technique to catch them
Then this morning I go back to Athens and go to where I know there are fish. In 3 hours I catch 15 fish, no dinks and 3 over 5 pounds.
Fishing is all about being where the fish are and giving them something they want, either to feed or attack.
So,,,,,,
In years past Fork has not been that difficult to catch fish from,
Why is it hard now ? And don't say it is not,,, just look at the numbers from the 3 days of the Sealy

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11128753 09/26/15 03:23 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Friday morning about 100 fish were dumped but Friday second shift (after 10 AM) almost 3 times that many and a few overs.

Saturday morning was slow again but Saturday second shift there was a bunch dumped.

Sunday morning and second shift had plenty of fish brought to the scales. Stuffed the live release boat.

Fork has had a strange year where the fish were not always where they were supposed to be per the time of the year. But with the large numbers of anglers in the Sealy event it really didn't matter cause they covered all of the lake.

But a lot had to wade through all of the dinks to get a decent keeper.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11128774 09/26/15 03:36 PM
H
heybaylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Bruce just hit the answer.
Fork has fish , however they are in groups, not spread all over the lake like they were in the past.

the large number of anglers covered the entire lake.
So the one that were on the scattered groups caught em.
the rest fish all day with no bites.
jmho

heybaylor
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11128866 09/26/15 04:43 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Most guides I have fished with on Fork when asked about the hardest month to catch fish on Fork answer.......September.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: heybaylor] #11129075 09/26/15 07:37 PM
N
Nutman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: heybaylor
Bruce just hit the answer.
Fork has fish , however they are in groups, not spread all over the lake like they were in the past.

the large number of anglers covered the entire lake.
So the one that were on the scattered groups caught em.
the rest fish all day with no bites.
jmho

Which supports my original topic statement. You have to know where the fish are.
They are tightly grouped and in specific spots. When you find em and get em going it is sure a lot of fun

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11130034 09/27/15 03:39 AM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
September is the worst month to fish Fork IMO... Turnover doesn't help much either... But every once in a while ( not that often for me), you can find a spot out deep where they are loaded up and hammer em in September! I live on the lake and have fished it exclusively for over 20 years and still have more bad days then good... But the good days definatley out weigh the bad.

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11130056 09/27/15 03:52 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Big fish on Fork is not a sure thing in September, never has been.
That being said, Fork is not what it used to be.
I won't fish with live bait, but I have caught countless fish over 7 lbs in September.
WE might think about letting Fork rest for awhile.
We can abuse our fisheries.

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11132494 09/28/15 03:47 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
That's two threads were it is brought up that we should give the lake a rest. I would love to hear from someone who has scientific evidence of a decline, not just conjecture. I think the surveys are still good, and the slot is mostly doing it's job. Some issues I see are not enough harvest of the smaller unders, I don't eat fish, so I don't keep them. The white bass introduction has probably caused at the very least some changes in how/what/where the larger blacks feed.

If you want to give Fork a rest, are you saying guides should stop hunting the groups of big fish? Or is your concern only with the tournaments? A rest is a rest, and you'd have to close it down to fishing. That ain't gonna happen with the number of people living on the lake and its economic impact to the area.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11132564 09/28/15 04:20 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'll let ya'll in on something I heard from countless pros during the TTBC. Fork doesn't have the numbers of good fish it used to. Higher water during that event certainly spread them out, so I'm sure that played a roll. A few guys got on some good deep fish and one got on some good shallow ones. But I talked to numerous guys who never found more than one good school in practice nor during the actual tournament. I'm sure the weather played a roll in that too. But what I heard echos what I have personally witnessed the past several years.

The days of finding big schools of legitimate 5-7 pound fish seem to be much fewer and further between.

We must remember that severe drought and low water levels for three straight years brought very poor spawns/recruitment. Now we have a bazillion young bass and, given fairly stable water levels, I look for Fork to rebound nicely in a couple years when these fish are in the slot.

We must also remember that the lake is 35 years old. Lakes change, become less fertile, lose habitat, etc. over that long a time. Fork is still a great lake, but she isn't what she once was. That's only natural but I agree with Mr. McCarty that she could use a rest. Especially from tournaments but that isn't going to happen, unfortunately.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Richard McCarty] #11132606 09/28/15 04:32 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
Big fish on Fork is not a sure thing in September, never has been.
That being said, Fork is not what it used to be.
I won't fish with live bait, but I have caught countless fish over 7 lbs in September.
WE might think about letting Fork rest for awhile.
We can abuse our fisheries.

Well said... The fact that the lake has withstood the constant pressure for years now, year in and year out, is nothing short of amazing.

To employ the number of guides it does and handle that much pressure just shows how good she once was.

So many people have these memories of that magical day on Fork and I think those are getting harder to come by.

[Linked Image]
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11132899 09/28/15 06:19 PM
H
heybaylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
posted this on the other "let it rest thread"

what if the folks in charge closed one, Just one major creek arm to fishing during the spawn months?
rotate to another creek every year ???

that would leave the rest open to guide, fish, waterski(oops) and not hurt anybody .
would keep two ball-hats in a boat from disturbing every bed possible in just one major creek

heybaylor
Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11135435 09/29/15 09:25 PM
R
ridinonthepad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
20 years ago, when the Minnow Bucket was newer and prettier, big numbers of slots were common. Having a 5 pounder on a crankbait with 2 more trying to take it away from her is something I havent seen for a while. A lot of the trees that were along places like Lands End have broken off and fallen over. I dont know how that affects the bite now but the lake looks different. I have been down there 4 times this year and it has been hard to catch fish. Have had good luck catching little bucks in the pads back in Mustang but I have found the deepwater humps tough to fish. Finally heard a guide say make 30 casts and move on to the next if you dont get a bite. If you ever fished Monticello it was king in its heyday but it has changed now as well. Tough year though with floods.

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: David Burton] #11135774 09/30/15 12:28 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: David Burton
That's two threads were it is brought up that we should give the lake a rest. I would love to hear from someone who has scientific evidence of a decline, not just conjecture. I think the surveys are still good, and the slot is mostly doing it's job. Some issues I see are not enough harvest of the smaller unders, I don't eat fish, so I don't keep them. The white bass introduction has probably caused at the very least some changes in how/what/where the larger blacks feed.

If you want to give Fork a rest, are you saying guides should stop hunting the groups of big fish? Or is your concern only with the tournaments? A rest is a rest, and you'd have to close it down to fishing. That ain't gonna happen with the number of people living on the lake and its economic impact to the area.

You might take a look at the results from the Triton owners tournament.
Nearly half the field zeroed.
You think we have too many "unders", that need to be harvested?

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11135793 09/30/15 12:41 AM
D
Dee Trammell Offline
Angler
Angler
D
+ 1 Richard

Re: It does make a diffrence [Re: Nutman] #11135795 09/30/15 12:42 AM
slim 285 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
There might just be too many unders . I set on one point during Sealy's and caught close to eighty small fish . With only one descent size under

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide