Print Thread
Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: #11130536 09/27/15 04:30 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I was there before 7, got in a few minutes early, and as I pedaled out I passed two very niced sized LMBs cruising in 4 or 5 feet of water in the ramp.

I made it to the island by 7:15 or so. As the sun came up, the sky was totally clear, the water dead calm, no wind, which is unusual for this lake since it is up high and surrounded by open areas.

Hmm? Last week, I had 3 nice LMBs in 5 or 6 of my first casts. Today, it wasn't like that and I had to work for my first fish. Most of mine were high quality, see the pic, and three were in the 3 lbs. range I'd guess with nice girths.

I left the island (they were in shallower yesterday) and headed over to the dam to fish parallel to the dam along the rip rap. I "back down" the dam in reverse with my Propel 10 and fan cast trying to see what depth they are biting. Hmm? No luck.

At the spillway, I hooked my brush clip up to a cable connecting the orange barrels and I made a few casts and drop off the concrete wall. Others, JJ and Kevin come to mind, have had good luck out there in that really deep water. On my 3rd or 4th cast, something slammed my worm and I thought I had a monster. Not so much, a very dark fish but 3 at the most, likely a bit less. This one was a fighter. I made a critical mistake and let the fish get too close to the orange barrel and he twisted himself up in the cable. I had to grab and remove the fish with my fish grips (I love these things!) and then I was able to unwind the mess. I could have easily guided the fish away but sort of had a lapse in judgment letting it get tangled up. It cost me about 10 minutes of fishing time.

Back to the island, this time fishing it more on its south and west side, boom, I pick up 2 more there rather fast. Then, an angler in a nice bass boat, nice guy, told me there were some small fish over between the rock bumps. I cruised over there, caught one that bit me on the drop just a few feet off the side of my kayak. He was about a pounder.

6 fish: 3 around 3 lbs., 2 around 2.5 lbs., then a one pounder.

Well, one more time to the south east ledge off the island, why is it always this way, and I hook into a very strong fish which runs super fast across my bow, port to starboard, I really seem to have a great hook set, it jumps, and "flips me off." It is so hard to say what a fish might weigh like that, but I can say that it was a much larger LMB than those I did catch.

Dang it!

But, a landing ratio of 6 out of 7, so not bad.

So, better sized fish, but about half my summer average of "numbers caught" drop shotting. I think the clear skies and windless lake hurt. The wind did pick up at noon and helped me catch my last 3.

Equipment and stuff: St. Croix 7', med/fast, Gamakatsu drop shot hook with the swivel and the cinch clip for a second piece of line down to the sinkers. Gosh, this helps save hooks.

I got rid of the 40 or so yards of fluoro I had reeled in where everything off my reel in a cast was all fluro. I just don't like some of its characteristics casting it straight like that. So, I clipped it off and just tied on a 7' fluoro leader which gives me the invisibility and works just as well.

Carlos sent me some heavy duty drop shot hooks but they didn't make in the mail on Friday. I want to try an idea I have for catching bigger fish with bigger hooks. It'll have to wait for next time. The hooks did come in Saturday and they look great. I got some as large as 4/0s.

Lots of fun. Again, the lake was almost empty, maybe 5 kayakers, 3 boats of various sizes.

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11130545 09/27/15 04:37 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
And, my Native Slayer Propel 10.

At 6'3" and 250+, I likely look like someone floating around in a banana split dish, but dang this vessel fishes well.

I travel lighter and lighter each time out. I carry 2 rods and I have two Plano tackle boxes under my seat in a storage device. I carry a thermos of ice water, food but less than I used to, a bag with a bag in it of my baits. My seat organizer has slots for my fish grip, my pliers, and other hardware.

I store my waders in the front hatch.

I can half stand and lean forward all the way to use the front hatch, and I can turn around sideways and reach all the way across my tank well.

If my boat was any longer, I'd have to be able to move along it to access farther areas.

No, this would likely not be the kayak for camping trips.

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11130552 09/27/15 04:41 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Oh! And, that is the little paddle holder I purchased hold a too long 280 cm paddle. I rarely need a paddle in a Propel, but it rides there well.

And, behind the seat mounted on the back is an "empty" Tackleweb, priced very well as kayak things go. I will figure out what to use it for soon but certainly for maps, etc.

And, look close on the port side and you can see that I have my Harken pulleys and a Zig Zag cleat mounted on the tracks for an anchor trolley.

So far, no hole drilled.

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11130646 09/27/15 05:16 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
Looks like a great boat setup and a good location. I plan to get out to Wheeler Branch this fall.

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11130707 09/27/15 05:28 PM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I test pedaled a slayer 10 at the last demo, loved that thing it was fast, comfortable, I stood with absolute confidence and didn't feel at all worried it would tip, and the boat is small enough I could lift it and roof top it easily. Great fishing machine!
Probably not good for camping but I doubt I'll do any trips where I pack all my camping gear on the kayak.

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11130778 09/27/15 05:54 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
PowerLizard, you'll love it out there. A nice fishery, one of the very best lakes in North Texas for kayakers.

Fisherman13, yes! The 34" width makes it very stable for a 10' kayak. Yesterday, I was otherwise occupied doing something with my head down, looked up and I had drifted off my intended fishing site, so it was behind me and I just started pedaling backwards in reverse and I bet I was going 3 mph like that with little effort.

Reverse pedaling, for whatever reason, is actually easier to develop a great cadence than forward.

That is me, too! It isn't that I wouldn't like to camp out in great weather once a year or so with my grandkids, it is just that 99 times out of a 100, I go out on day trips. I am simply not sure what I'd do with 3 or more feet that I cannot reach/access while in the vessel.

I just washed mine off a few hours ago, let it dry thoroughly, then put it in the garage. I lift it up with no issues whatsoever. Something in my background makes this a bit easier for me than most folks I suppose, but I grab it like a leaf and cram it in the garage placing it on some standards.

This is a VERY functional kayak for day fishing trips: easy to haul, easy to fish from, easy to store because it takes up so little space.

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11131413 09/27/15 10:45 PM
Cowtown Kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Brad R, Thanks for the update. Looks like you had a pretty good day at Wheeler Branch. It is a great little lake!

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"
Kayak Fisherman and Real Estate Broker

Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. ~Izaak Walton
Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11134922 09/29/15 05:14 PM
B
BASS420 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
What were they biting on out there? Just the drop shot? We r going out there this weekend. U said they were up shallow? And deep?

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: Brad R] #11135146 09/29/15 06:56 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
nice... i am glad you are figuring this out this little lake really well brad...keep fishing !!!!

Re: Wheeler Branch 9/26 results: [Re: BASS420] #11135194 09/29/15 07:18 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Bass420,

What I do is start at the island, dam side (south), and I sort of move around until I find out what depth they are most active. I don't have any electronics. Like I said, I saw two large bass in 4 feet of water as I pedaled out of the boat ramp, so it gave me the impression that they had moved in shallower than over the hot summer.

Nothing I caught was really shallow but at the end I was in 10 to 12 feet of water.

I used roboworms and color really doesn't seem to matter. Aaron's Magic color is solid out there, for sure. I use 4.5" worms but a 6" would do well, too.

Another bait that just kills them out there, seems to attract even bigger bass, is a Keitech Shad Impact, in the 4". Yes, I know it is normally a jerk bait, but I nose hook these and I get really solid results. I believe this was the bait I caught the smallmouth bass on 5 or 6 weeks ago. I would have used it last Saturday, but I ran out. I ordered more and will try these again on the drop shot but also on a light swim jig to see if I can develop a pattern there.

Buton, family stuff on Saturday so I'll likely run out there on Sunday and fish from 7 AM until around 1 or 2.

*** It is likely time, or really close, to expect more active fish so while the drop shot is always effective, I may try some soft swimbaits and a few other techniques just to see what happens.

Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide