Print Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11139698 10/01/15 08:36 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
If the lake never bounces back, it'll be interesting to see how long the lore of Lake Fork continues to bring in people from all over the country. I really don't think it'll ever be what it once was. I think it'll always be a good lake, but being a great lake again is gonna be hard to accomplish. I've been on Lewisville and Fork about the same amount this year... And right now I'd rather go to Lewisville.

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: fouzman] #11140056 10/01/15 11:31 PM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: fouzman
There is some good hydrilla growing on Fork right now. Pretty, bright green stuff. That is not the sole answer, but part of a larger solution. Wonder why some of the best private trophy fisheries have grass carp and NO GRASS whatsoever?

How many private fisheries are sizable? Most are a maximum of a couple hundred acres, if that. Aquatic vegetation is much harder to control in a small water body like that. Comparing a small private fishery to a 27,000 acre reservoir doesn't have much merit.

I'm not saying every fishery needs grass, there are some great trophy lakes that don't have grass, sure, but the majority of public lakes thrive when hydrilla is present.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: T54] #11140295 10/02/15 01:15 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: T54
Originally Posted By: fouzman
There is some good hydrilla growing on Fork right now. Pretty, bright green stuff. That is not the sole answer, but part of a larger solution. Wonder why some of the best private trophy fisheries have grass carp and NO GRASS whatsoever?

How many private fisheries are sizable? Most are a maximum of a couple hundred acres, if that. Aquatic vegetation is much harder to control in a small water body like that. Comparing a small private fishery to a 27,000 acre reservoir doesn't have much merit.

I'm not saying every fishery needs grass, there are some great trophy lakes that don't have grass, sure, but the majority of public lakes thrive when hydrilla is present.

No doubt hydrilla contributes to better fishing, but it is an exotic, and has to occur (naturally).
Do we, as anglers, just accept the fact that fishing is gonna be poor due to lack of hydrilla, and make no adjustments, or do we adopt a plan to protect the rescource due to the lack of vegetation and the issues that arise from that lack of vegetation?

Last edited by Richard McCarty; 10/02/15 01:16 AM.
Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11140377 10/02/15 01:49 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I am not opposed to changing the harvest regulations on Fork, but I think it should be based on data and science. I am against imposing harsher restrictions on certain types of fishermen because they don't fit the mold of what is deemed ok by locals. Limiting harvest or changing harvest regulations to improve a population is a successful tactic and has proven results, particularly in saltwater environments.

I am curious, what type of habitat projects are ongoing at Fork?

Limiting people's access is a little scary, IMO.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11140408 10/02/15 02:00 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
LFSA has planted willows and buckbrush.
TPWD has planted water willows.
Neither of these plants replace vegetation such as coontail, milfoil, or hydrilla, but it is a lot better than nothing.
I'm not proposing limited access, but I am advocating limited harvest while the lake is under duress.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11140414 10/02/15 02:03 AM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Habitat projects: planting button bushes grown by a partnership between the Yantis HS and the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc and TPWD has been ongoing for about 4 years. I believe they have planted over 2000 bushes thus far and will be planting perhaps another 600-800 plants this fall.

Brush piles and structure. Once again the LFSA, TPWD and the WCCC are working to construct 40 large plastic structures to add to the 21 they built and "planted" last year. In addition TPWD has enhanced those locations with cement filled tubs with tall bamboo in them.

Brush piles. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that fishes for crappie puts out brush piles. They are everywhere.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 10/02/15 02:04 AM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Bruce Allen] #11140430 10/02/15 02:08 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
Habitat projects: planting button bushes grown by a partnership between the Yantis HS and the Lake Fork Sportsman's Assoc and TPWD has been ongoing for about 4 years. I believe they have planted over 2000 bushes thus far and will be planting perhaps another 600-800 plants this fall.

Brush piles and structure. Once again the LFSA, TPWD and the WCCC are working to construct 40 large plastic structures to add to the 21 they built and "planted" last year. In addition TPWD has enhanced those locations with cement filled tubs with tall bamboo in them.

Brush piles. Every Tom, Dick and Harry that fishes for crappie puts out brush piles. They are everywhere.

No offense Bruce, but I am totally against plastic brushpiles.
In my mind, it is simply litter in the lake.
Plastic brushpiles might be a fish attractant, but it is still plastic, and litter.
Imagine a drained lake that is full of these plastic fish attractors.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11140458 10/02/15 02:21 AM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
the point that TPWD made when that same lake is drained all the wood will have rotted away but the "structure" will remain. you and I will not be here to see it however, but your grandchildren will.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Bruce Allen] #11140472 10/02/15 02:28 AM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
the point that TPWD made when that same lake is drained all the wood will have rotted away but the "structure" will remain. you and I will not be here to see it however, but your grandchildren will.

With all due respect, A pile of plastic is litter, regardless of what generation will see it.
A plastic brushpile has no benefit to fry survival.
It is simply a fish attractant, made out of plastic.
Again, if the lake was drained, or simply never was, it would be litter.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Richard McCarty] #11141238 10/02/15 03:05 PM
Rodney2100 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
We have been consulting with the biologists for about a year. They are aware of the issues

Richard - What are the biologists thoughts on this situation?

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11141272 10/02/15 03:23 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
To guide on Lake Fork all you do is pay $132 a year for a guide's license? I would think the guides would be required to pay more of a fee for such a great place to work. Y'all are getting a bargain.

Not trying to stir anything up, but since it appears the older guides are the ones posting here blasting the tournament anglers and tournament trails for the demise of Lake Fork.

I have but one question, you have been using a tax payer funded resource to make a living for many years, for a very minimal usage fee, why didn't any or all of you worry about the depleted fish populations of Fork in the past?

Not trying to stir anything up, just curious ....

#MFGA
Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: snickers] #11141300 10/02/15 03:39 PM
LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: snickers
Go to Rayburn they are on fire over there . plenty of events on that lake and they still catch 30 pound plus stringers. Or Toledo bend .Plenty of meat hunters at that place but it still has plenty of fish. oops They have or had plenty of grass. Grass might be the real problem.

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell them to go to Rayburn, bro! Don't tell them about the huge sacks being caught over there right now!

Everyone just disregard his post and pretend you didn't hear it. Just disregard that 20#-24# sacks are often left outside the money cut in many tournies this year.

Stay at Fork!

LOL

Last edited by LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders; 10/02/15 03:40 PM.

Tx Burger..."You could find a cheaper burger, but then you'd have to eat it!"
V&M Baits...give the fish what they really want !!!
Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders] #11141471 10/02/15 05:11 PM
S
snickers Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Man Please don't stir me back into this. The last time I surfaced I got hit by a Old jerk bait just because I catch a few good fish. When spring hits the lake will fish just fine and the old geezers wont wine so much.
Originally Posted By: LipRippinLanders -BryanLanders
Originally Posted By: snickers
Go to Rayburn they are on fire over there . plenty of events on that lake and they still catch 30 pound plus stringers. Or Toledo bend .Plenty of meat hunters at that place but it still has plenty of fish. oops They have or had plenty of grass. Grass might be the real problem.

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell them to go to Rayburn, bro! Don't tell them about the huge sacks being caught over there right now!

Everyone just disregard his post and pretend you didn't hear it. Just disregard that 20#-24# sacks are often left outside the money cut in many tournies this year.

Stay at Fork!

LOL

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Mega23] #11141623 10/02/15 06:17 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Nobody appreciates the fact that I've been able to
Make a living fishing more than I do, and yes, we pay a very minimal fee to do so. I don't have to fish another day for money but that doesn't mean I can't still have concern for the lake. It saddens me to see Fork become 'just another lake'. This is why I've voiced my opinion. Is old geezers were fortunate to experience the glory days of fork, and can only hope y'all and future fishers get to experience something close. I'm kinda bummed that some don't appreciate us voicing our concern.

Re: Triton Bass Tour Lake Fork [Re: Richard McCarty] #11141784 10/02/15 07:27 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Richard McCarty
Nobody appreciates the fact that I've been able to
Make a living fishing more than I do, and yes, we pay a very minimal fee to do so. I don't have to fish another day for money but that doesn't mean I can't still have concern for the lake. It saddens me to see Fork become 'just another lake'. This is why I've voiced my opinion. Is old geezers were fortunate to experience the glory days of fork, and can only hope y'all and future fishers get to experience something close. I'm kinda bummed that some don't appreciate us voicing our concern.

Mr McCarty I respect your opinions and also the things you've accomplished in fishing throughout your life.

But, there is a tone in your posts that many others are "below" you. Maybe it's just me, but maybe not.

My first time on Fork was in 1982 I believe. I was 13 and I grew up fishing the lake so I remember and lived the "good ole days". When you could literally leave the ramp and catch fish. I had a bass buster and used to put it in and I cannot remember but a handful of days back then when i didn't go home with my hands bleeding.

Let's be realistic, lakes age and lose their ability to thrive after 25 years or so, it's a lot of what has happened to Fork. I don't think it's the tournaments, guides or any other thing man has done. It's just the way nature works. I think Fork still fishes pretty good considering her age and the pressure she gets.

One of the side effects of Fork opening was some of our smaller East Texas lakes got a chance to breathe again. It took a ton of pressure off of them.

Now the 64 thousand dollar question, can anything really be done to bring back Fork to say 70% of her glory?
I think sadly the answer is no, she will always be special and produce but not like she did from 86- mid 90's.

I will say I'm grateful to you and Mr Rodgers and others that are trying to explore options to try and nurse the ole girl back to some resemblance of her glory days.

Keep up the good fight!!

#MFGA
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide