facebook
Forum Stats
102726 Members
61 Forums
859240 Topics
11272319 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11126904 - 09/25/15 10:14 AM First fall kayak trip!
Brad R Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Texas
Fall has arrived and I plan to make my almost weekly sojourn down to Wheeler Branch in Glen Rose.

As best I can tell, everything lines up for a really super day tomorrow: the Solunar table has it marked as a 3 star day, not bad; the temperature will top out around 90; and, the wind is supposed to be very light and out of the northeast for a good portion of the day.

I am going to start off, as I have over the hot weeks recently, with a drop shot off the dam side (south) of the small island. I usually start in a bit close and since I don't have any electronics, I try to see what depth they are holding and feeding, then work out toward the drop off.

I caught a nice bass on my first drop last Saturday, the two more in the next 3 or 4 casts as I recall, each one larger than the last. A good way to start a day.

I was surprised by how few boats and kayaks were out there last weekend.

After the island stop, I normally pedal down to the dam beginning at the boat lift and work down to the spillway. I work both sides. Others do well throwing at the concrete wall of the spillway where fish seem to stack up. I catch most of mine along the rip rap in shallower water.

Then, I spend some time working the outside edges of the vegetation lines in a few areas. I have done really well between the boat lift and the boat ramp along that line. And, I like fishing from the inlet area down to the swimming pier.

I wonder if we'll begin seeing, this lake and others, bass moving into the shallows again?

The following week, I am a bachelor for the weekend and I'll likely fish both days, especially if the weather is accommodating. I may spend one day at Wheeler, then spread my wings a bit and try some other lake.

One last thing: I ordered some more custom drop shot hooks, some of a large size (up to 4/0) from Carlos Rivera, a member here that many of you will know. I bring this up because I have a super idea how to use the larger drop shot hooks fishing more or less similar to a traditional Texas Rig with a bullet weight. Carlos is making mine with the swivel above the hook, then a pinch clip below it where I can tie on a separate line down to a drop shot sinker, it too with its own pinch clip. I say a "super" idea - - - let's see how it goes!

I'll try this new strategy out and relay the results.

Brad

#11127041 - 09/25/15 11:01 AM Re: First fall kayak trip! [Re: Brad R]
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Benbrook, TX
Don't forget to snorkel!

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide