Print Thread
How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? #11124608 09/24/15 03:27 PM
D
Dadsthatlove2fish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Ok fellas. Besides looking for birds, how do you find these fish. I have been told they are a sucker for humps, ridges, and drop offs. On a lake like Buchanan which is loaded with these fish when my boys and I go out we catch 3-5 fish last few times out this summer, haven't had much luck. Wanted to get some advice so we can get bigger numbers and keep my boys smiling.

God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:28
Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11124678 09/24/15 04:01 PM
Budward Offline
Angler
Angler
What kind of fishfinder are you using? Having a quality sonar and knowing how to read it is critical. You find the fish on your sonar, then you fish. Simple as that.

And yes, humps, drop offs and ridges. Sounds like you already got it down.

Last edited by Budward; 09/24/15 04:02 PM.
Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11124679 09/24/15 04:03 PM
D
Dadsthatlove2fish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I have a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI.

God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:28
Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11124704 09/24/15 04:20 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
ON Buchanan fish humps and points. 90% of the time you are going to find fish there. Whites a lot of times will show up on the bottom and your graph will look like a saw blade and lots of little humps/teeth. Those are fish. Many people cruise right on by them.

Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11124862 09/24/15 05:40 PM
Bry Fly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have not ever fished Buchanan, but if I did, I would get out a lake map and chart out every possible hump, point, dropoff that could hold fish in 12-25 ft of water and begin to scan them for fish. On the lakes I fish, lately I am finding that they are not holding on structure in the same exact spot very long at all. SO, I move about every 3-5 minutes - sometimes as little as 20-30 feet on the same hump or until I find them again. often I throw out a plastic marker and by the time I get spot-locked, they have moved so drifting in a slow wind sometimes works too. I seldom catch fish if I don't see them on my sonar or sidescan. If you are on structure and the fishing is slow, move to another structure. Once you mark fish and identify the depth which they are holding, note that and look for them at that same depth at the next hump or point. don't waste time if you are not marking fish. Another thing to be aware of as mentioned by Mr. Dennis Christian - "try to position your boat down-sun from the fish so as to not spook them with the boat shadow". In shallow depths on bright days, this might help too. Vary the retrieve of your lure or slab. Sometimes a horizontal retrieve is more preferred than a vertical, therefore, make a longer cast, let it sink to the bottom and work it back to the boat 3-4 turns of the reel, if no bite then back down to the bottom and repeat. Different size of baits sometimes make a difference along with color. Lately, Chartruese and white slabs and Cocomoe minnows from Moe's tackle have been popular. I also prefer Mepps Spinners and am a student of the Dennis Christian technique found on his videos. Look up Dennis Christian on this forum and watch his video on how to fish the Mepps and you will be sure to catch more - if you are on fish! Let me know if I can be of any further help. Hope this gets you and your boys a box full!

Bryan Nims
Nims Sportfishing
Guide Service
Lakes Ray Hubbard & Tawakoni

www.facebook.com/nims.sportfishing
Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11125071 09/24/15 07:21 PM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Bry said it all.

Don't be afraid to fish for just 5-10 minutes and move. These fish are usually not picky; if they're there, you should know it within a few drops or a few minutes.

--Nick smirk
Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Bry Fly] #11125150 09/24/15 07:43 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Bry Fly
I have not ever fished Buchanan, but if I did, I would get out a lake map and chart out every possible hump, point, dropoff that could hold fish in 12-25 ft of water and begin to scan them for fish. On the lakes I fish, lately I am finding that they are not holding on structure in the same exact spot very long at all. SO, I move about every 3-5 minutes - sometimes as little as 20-30 feet on the same hump or until I find them again. often I throw out a plastic marker and by the time I get spot-locked, they have moved so drifting in a slow wind sometimes works too. I seldom catch fish if I don't see them on my sonar or sidescan. If you are on structure and the fishing is slow, move to another structure. Once you mark fish and identify the depth which they are holding, note that and look for them at that same depth at the next hump or point. don't waste time if you are not marking fish. Another thing to be aware of as mentioned by Mr. Dennis Christian - "try to position your boat down-sun from the fish so as to not spook them with the boat shadow". In shallow depths on bright days, this might help too. Vary the retrieve of your lure or slab. Sometimes a horizontal retrieve is more preferred than a vertical, therefore, make a longer cast, let it sink to the bottom and work it back to the boat 3-4 turns of the reel, if no bite then back down to the bottom and repeat. Different size of baits sometimes make a difference along with color. Lately, Chartruese and white slabs and Cocomoe minnows from Moe's tackle have been popular. I also prefer Mepps Spinners and am a student of the Dennis Christian technique found on his videos. Look up Dennis Christian on this forum and watch his video on how to fish the Mepps and you will be sure to catch more - if you are on fish! Let me know if I can be of any further help. Hope this gets you and your boys a box full!

This is pretty spot on. One thing about Buchanan to keep in mind the sides of many of the humps are trees and making long cast could get expensive.

Re: How to locate white bass, hybrids, and stripers? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11127699 09/25/15 09:03 PM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hire a guide on Buchanan. Tell them up front that you want to learn how to locate fish. Money well spent.

Formerly known as Scooter79

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide