Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? #11118729 09/22/15 01:27 AM
Cowtown Kid Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I am new to fly fishing and I am interested in finding out what flies to use to catch carp. Also, what technique would you use to present the fly.
What kind of leader would be best to use?

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"
Kayak Fisherman and Real Estate Broker

Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. ~Izaak Walton
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11118983 09/22/15 03:23 AM
Dtheg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Spend enough time here and you will find that question is like asking a leprechaun where his/her gold is. (No offense to any leprechaun, I only stereotype from my only knowledge of them from the FANTASTIC movie LEPRECHAUN!) I can tell you I have spent more time in failure attempting to catch carp than any other fish. It will take time and determination. So to the question what fly: dull not flashy, ugly, little wiggly, not too much or spook them, and small. I have used small foam crayfish also. As for technich I try to be sneaky, I have to cast past them and let them work to the fly. Some say "☺️Just cast I front about a dinner plate away Ohhh and be gentle!" Doing this I have smacked more carp in the head, back , or tail than I have caught. . That is lack of my skill plus old fly line. The leader for me is long. I spook more with short leader. Also I seem to cast a little softer with a long leader. Like 9ft plus tippet.

Now that I have said all this, maybe the true carp catchers will chime in and give you better advise. If your looking where to find them ; just about any creek pond river has them. There is also a great map on here from another member. Good luck.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

― Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11119144 09/22/15 09:23 AM
Cowtown Kid Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks DTheg.
I have found a place when I kayak fish below the dam at Lake Whitney on the Brazos that has a ton of carp. I have watch some videos of catching carp on a fly rod and it looks fun. When I was a kid my fishing buddy and I would take our old Zebco 33's with some homemade dough bait and spend the day at Denton Creek catching carp. One thing I learned as a kid was it was a slow process and the carp were easily spooked. Looking froward to landing one on a fly rod in my kayak. Beside the thrill of catching one on the fly rod I will get a little ride from them as they pull my kayak around the river.
Thanks again for the information. I will let you know how I do.

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"

Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. ~Izaak Walton
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11119875 09/22/15 04:57 PM
C
charlief1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
If you want carp then go to the spillway over at Aquilla. It has a ton of them.

I'm on other forums that deal with the old turbo powered Buicks.;)
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11120070 09/22/15 06:07 PM
T
Texjbq Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast is great a resource for new fly fisherman and there are several episodes on Carp.

The Long-Awaited Carp Podcast

Carpacolypse Podcast

Top Ten Carp Flies Podcast

Depending on how new you are to fly fishing, I would hone your skills on bass & panfish before targeting carp. My last 3 outings I have targeted carp and have yet to bring one to hand. It's shown me I need to improve my casting considerably and I have been fly fishing very hard for three years now. Their just so spooky. You have to be able to get a very accurate cast to them without tipping them off. It's very hard, also that's why it's so fun and rewarding. I've had two on and they pull like a redfish.

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11120119 09/22/15 06:34 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I agree that if you are new to fly fishing that going after carp is going advanced right off the bat - and that can sometimes work but most times is disappointing.

Maybe going after carp now and then and not exclusively at first would be a more funner approach. Go after bluegills and bass and catfish and have fun, then go pound your head against the carp wall - then go back to the funner stuff.

Eventually you'll catch carp but it won't be after a long long dry spell of catching nothing. I guess what worries me is that by going after just about the hardest fish there is to catch, and doing it right out of the chute, you might not enjoy fly fishing near as much and won't continue with it. And we need all the fly fishermen we can get.

Just my confused and rambling two cents...

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11120370 09/22/15 08:20 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
One of the biggest things I have learned about carp fishing is that they don't all play the game right. You can be using a good fly, making good casts and using the right presentation to fish that are not spooked - don't even know your anywhere around - and they still won't eat. Sometimes you'll cast at fish after fish with no luck. Then, you come across that one fish that's ready to play the game right, make a decent cast, set the fly down in front of him and he swims over and sucks it up - just that simple. So, just because your not getting strikes when it seems like your doing it right, may not be your fault. It may just be finicky fish. You just have to keep shooting at them until you find the one that's ready.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11120934 09/23/15 01:06 AM
Cowtown Kid Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks to all for the information. I have gotten lucky in my fly fishing and have been catching some stripers, bass, crappie and bluegill below the dam at Lake Whitney from my kayak. I have seen so many carp and wanted to figure out how to catch one of them. From my carp fishing experience with a rod and reel as a kid I remember how fickle they were and how slow they were to bite. I will certainly keep fishing for the bass and stripers and do just a little carp fishing at a time. I have been fishing all my life and have just discovered fly fishing. Sure wish I had discovered it a long time ago but it learning to fly fish is like planting a tree. The best time to do it is 20 years ago or today. I am just glad someone showed me the "way" to a whole different kind of fishing! Thanks again for all the input!

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11123932 09/24/15 03:25 AM
K
Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I have been chasing these nasty basta..s 3 or 4 days a week since mid august...Not 1 has been kind enough to even attempt to sniff a fly. On the other hand I have had some great bass jump all over my flies. I can say this however about the carps and myself, I can spot a feeding carp better now than I could a month ago. My casting has improved by leaps and bounds not only in accuracy but power and distance as well. I think much like you, fishing for them from a yak has some super challenges that waders may not always have. Im even fishing from a Diablo and find there is still a lot going on standing in that boat trying to land a fly 40' on a dinner plate while its moving and your moving as well. Perhaps Il tie up some marsh mellow flies and dare them to suck one down lol...cant wait to expose some backing as im seeing some 20#plus fish...best of luck Cowtown.

" Used to Chase giant's on Lake Austin & Town Lake "

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11124061 09/24/15 09:04 AM
Cowtown Kid Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Kent,
Thanks for the encouragement. Let me know when you get towed around in that Diablo by a 20 pounder!

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11124342 09/24/15 01:30 PM
2FlyFish4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Are they carp or are they buffalo? I only ask bc there is a big difference between the two in regards to how they respond to a fly.

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11124605 09/24/15 03:26 PM
B
bryan_g Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
It's pretty tough to land a carp at 40' in addition to the cast you also want to see them eat. At 40' they may have spit it out by the time you notice anything. Keep the line tight!

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11124693 09/24/15 04:13 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Just out of curiosity, what's the standard set up that most people use when fishing for carp? Obviously they're quite spooky, but seems like you need heavier gear to land them? What's a standard carp rod?....7 or 8 weight? Or do you guys like to go lighter? I presume floating line and flouro leaders. What strength tippet do you guys use?

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11124730 09/24/15 04:34 PM
T
Texjbq Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I'm using an 8 wt with WF Floating, 1X mono 7.5' leader and about 4 ft of 2x flouro tippet, but as of yet I have not landed one so what do I know. The two I've hooked came unbuttoned, the tippet or knot didn't break.

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp - What to use? [Re: Cowtown Kid] #11125009 09/24/15 06:56 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Ok thanks just curious. Everyone talks about having to make delicate presentations when carp fishing, but I'd have a heck of a time doing anything delicately with an 8 weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide