Print Thread
Best vertical jigging techniques #11113480 09/19/15 06:42 PM
K
Kylefield Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Lately I have been vertical jigging jigs over the brush piles and have been having some pretty good success. However, I feel like there is something I'm missing. Does anybody have any tips on jig presentation like patterns or certain motions that could help me be a better jig fishermen? Any input would be welcome thanks.

Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11113648 09/19/15 08:44 PM
S
SlabbedSilly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
The best advice I can give you is to experiment. I know you will (or can) get 20 different responses from 20 different people as everyone has that ONE technique they have the most confidence in. As far as a consistent producer (for me at least), dead sticking is hard to beat. Basically, I drop the jig to an appropriate depth, let it sit still for a few seconds ( can be up to 10 seconds), give the jig a gentle twitch or two, let it sit still again, then twitch, sit still....etc...
Some will drop to the bottom (or top of the brush)....let the jig rest for a few seconds, raise their rod tip slowly a foot or two, lower the jig back down, repeat...
Some will pitch their jig past a target and let it slowly fall to and through the strike zone (could be brush, bridge pilings, etc...)
The bottom line is this....typically, slower is better no matter what the presentation. Of course as with everything in life, there are always exceptions to that rule. When I started fishing, I would watch what other fisherman were doing, and I would mimic the most successful ones. There is certain" feel" to jig fishing that just cannot be explained for sure. I for one learned as much from unproductive fishing trips as I did from the best trips.
How's all of that for dodging a question??? LOL
Just keep at it and I am sure others with more experience will chime in.

Chris

Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11114071 09/20/15 12:42 AM
J
JimmyA Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I vertical jig in 12 to 15 feet, where I am fishing! I use a 11' rod and drop the jig as slowly as I can and then, when I hit the sweet spot, my arm is steady but the wrist is not! My normal hand shutter get's bit!

Probing brush for crappie is my game!
Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: SlabbedSilly] #11114890 09/20/15 01:05 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: SlabbedSilly
The best advice I can give you is to experiment. I know you will (or can) get 20 different responses from 20 different people as everyone has that ONE technique they have the most confidence in. As far as a consistent producer (for me at least), dead sticking is hard to beat. Basically, I drop the jig to an appropriate depth, let it sit still for a few seconds ( can be up to 10 seconds), give the jig a gentle twitch or two, let it sit still again, then twitch, sit still....etc...
Some will drop to the bottom (or top of the brush)....let the jig rest for a few seconds, raise their rod tip slowly a foot or two, lower the jig back down, repeat...
Some will pitch their jig past a target and let it slowly fall to and through the strike zone (could be brush, bridge pilings, etc...)
The bottom line is this....typically, slower is better no matter what the presentation. Of course as with everything in life, there are always exceptions to that rule. When I started fishing, I would watch what other fisherman were doing, and I would mimic the most successful ones. There is certain" feel" to jig fishing that just cannot be explained for sure. I for one learned as much from unproductive fishing trips as I did from the best trips.

Chris

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very well explained SlabbedSilly....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: SK.] #11115134 09/20/15 03:53 PM
R
Ruffneck2000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
+1
Originally Posted By: silentkilla
Originally Posted By: SlabbedSilly

Chris

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very well explained SlabbedSilly....
thumb

'A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including ones life.' (Author unknown)

Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11115234 09/20/15 05:13 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
SlabbedSilly is spot on. Try all the techniques suggested and the crappie will tell you what they like the best. I'll usually drop a jig over a brush pile and then just lay the rod down while I work another rod. The wave action will give the dead stick some life but keep the rod close to you as I've come close to losing it before. This way I'm giving the fish two presentations and helps me decide which is most productive. Good luck to ya.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11115326 09/20/15 06:20 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Sumthing else that helps a ton is have "confidence" in what your doing....
When I lower my jig I'm waiting on that thump cause I "KNOW" it's comin..

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11115424 09/20/15 07:25 PM
CaptainCrunch Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I'll often drop down, let it sit for little while and then slowly raise my jig using my left hand to pull the line sideways away from the rod. Keeps the rod in a better position to set the hook and keeps my finger on the line. Just seems more natural to me than lifting up the end of the rod. Then again, I've always been a little different...

Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: SK.] #11116707 09/21/15 01:14 AM
A
Action_Jackson Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: silentkilla
Sumthing else that helps a ton is have "confidence" in what your doing....
When I lower my jig I'm waiting on that thump cause I "KNOW" it's comin..

thumb thumb ...gotta STAY ready for the "THUMP"

Katchin krappie...doin surgeries(filleting)...and givin hott grease baths until krunchy and golden brown is what it's all about!!!

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!
Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: Kylefield] #11116730 09/21/15 01:27 AM
Knot Normal Offline
Angler
Angler
I've found that less is more if you know what I mean!

Randy

I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in!

Re: Best vertical jigging techniques [Re: CaptainCrunch] #11117489 09/21/15 03:08 PM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: CaptainCrunch
I'll often drop down, let it sit for little while and then slowly raise my jig using my left hand to pull the line sideways away from the rod. Keeps the rod in a better position to set the hook and keeps my finger on the line. Just seems more natural to me than lifting up the end of the rod. Then again, I've always been a little different...

This is my "Go-To" presentation with a big emphasis on SLOW!

Most of the time, you'd have to watch me very closely to see that I'm moving my jig. Most of my bites come as I'm raising the jig hmmm
I've come to believe that they cannot stand a bait to comes up past them and SLOWLY inch away thumb
I can see my jig on my sonar and I start with my jig right below the depth the are holding at........
Yes, it is a confidence thing to be sure.......and that's what I have the most confidence in, but as said before......
If they don't want that presentation, I vary it up, playing close attention to what they will hit hooked

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide