Forums59
Topics1,037,813
Posts13,934,971
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) #11113917 09/19/15 11:30 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I was out on Wheeler Branch today, caught 8 or 9 LMBs including 3 in my first 5 or 6 "drops" on the south side of the island. My hook up ratio was exceptional losing only 1 fish on a bad hook set.

I do what a lot of you guys do: I aggregate my orders on various online sources to get free shipping. So, I get my usual stuff and I pick up a few things to experiment with to get me over the minimum dollar amount.

I normally just tie a drop shot hook the typical way: a Palomar knot with the extra pass through the eye then a length down to a drop shot weight with a pinch grip.

Today, I used this Gamakatsu Swivel Shot Hook, gosh they are pricey at around 6 bucks for 3 hooks, but it actually worked out really well. Where I often lose a few hooks and rigs with the traditional DS, I fished all day with just one hook . . . but lost 2 or 3 of the drop shot weights. No worries, I snipped off a length of lighter line (I want it to break first if I get snagged so I keep the hook, lose the weight), clipped it on just below the hook, then down to DS weight with its integral pinch grip.

With two of these what I have been calling pinch grips, one or the other will likely give in. That has not always been my experience with traditional DS ties. Sometimes when I am snagged up, I lose the whole rig.

Anyway, one functional advantage I noticed is your plastic can swivel 360 degrees, I doubt it does with current and so forth, but nothing is holding it back. And, this makes for less or no line twist.

I sort of like the hook: only one knot to tie unlike others (VMC, etc.) where you have to tie both the hook and the drop shot weight on.

A pic of what I am talking about:

Hope this helps!

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 09/19/15 11:31 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11113949 09/19/15 11:42 PM
K
kirbydog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Only thing I don't like about swivel shots s the hook doesn't stand straight out like when you
tie a palomar. Guessing with a floating soft plastic it would stand straight out.

Glad it worked for you.

I've been using the "stand out" hooks and like those.

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114101 09/20/15 12:53 AM
S
SRitchey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Good to know...I'll have to try them when I get low on Owner Mosquito hooks.

Steve

1999 ChampioN 203 - 2011 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
2-10" Helix & 1-10" Garmin Livescope Plus - Ultrex 36/112

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114104 09/20/15 12:55 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Yeah, we originally came out with that first....

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114163 09/20/15 01:17 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
the swivel is totally unnecessary as the hook free floats on the wire....it was called the spinclip and had the Owner downshot hook....made and sold circa 2011.....

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #11114280 09/20/15 01:49 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
Yeah, we originally came out with that first....

Yours are all I use.....and guys ...the ones Carlos makes use an offset Owner hook and do stand straight out.... I rig whatever bait Texas rig style..... I'll need some more soon sir!

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114495 09/20/15 03:15 AM
Dean Coleman Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
That owner down shot is a great light wire hook..super sharp. If your looking for a little heavier offset drop shot hook. The decoy 117 heavy down shot hook is a great option. 3/0 works really well for a six inch bait.

http://www.nippon-tackle.com/Decoy-Worm-117-Heavy-Down-Shot

Dean Coleman
Humble Texas

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114631 09/20/15 04:05 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
http://www.riveratackle.net/spin-n-rig.html

I don't know why you'd use anything else.....he's a TFF guy and they work!

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114764 09/20/15 06:13 AM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Carlos makes the best that there is.....

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Shawn Mead] #11114860 09/20/15 12:32 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: Shawn Mead
Carlos makes the best that there is.....

I agree and he will put you whatever hook you choose on it.

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11114941 09/20/15 01:41 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Yes, the hook on the Gamakatsu I wrote of in my review droops a bit but a floating plastic apparently stands it out well under water. I have dropped it along side my kayak to get a view of it and it looks okay. Fish finding it, grabbing onto it, and holding on seem to be no problem.

I AM a customer of Riveratackle.net and I bought some of the larger drop shot hooks Carlos sells.

Carlos offers three different models on his website, though one is not depicted, but for the larger ones and the ones I ordered, it is a hook mounted so that it can freely rotate with a "tie on" above and below the hook.

These worked very well, high quality, but maybe I interpreted it wrong. I tied the top (line coming from the reel) with a Palomar knot, then a separate piece of line and a second Palomar knot for the bottom running down to a pinch grip DS sinker.

Can a long tag-end from the top tied Palomar simply be run through the lower opening and this is sufficient to hold the hook out on a taut line?

I still like the idea of the pinch grip thingy below the hook, no second knot, if for nothing else than one can use a lighter test line to ensure that in a hang-up, when you have to pull it loose, it'll pop the sinker loose but you preserve the hook.

Too, one can really very quickly alter the depth you are fishing. With two ties, you can always shorten the sinker line by cutting it but not so with making it longer.

I don't see the one in the photo Carlos posted here in his inventory. An older model?

Please advise.

Brad

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11115089 09/20/15 03:26 PM
B
balazs Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I fish super clear water and use drop shot about a third of the time I fish. I do not like any hook with an added swivel because extra hardware makes the bait sink faster and have less natural movement. Also, the line can wrap around the swivel completely defeating its purpose. This happened all the time when I used VMC drop shot hooks. Thirdly, those gamakatsu drop shot hooks are expensive. The stand out hook is OK, but there is too much hook and you cannot texas rig. I now use Roboworm rebarb exclusively because you can texas rig them and they are an extremely sharp, fine wire hook.

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: balazs] #11115214 09/20/15 04:49 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: balazs
I fish super clear water and use drop shot about a third of the time I fish. I do not like any hook with an added swivel because extra hardware makes the bait sink faster and have less natural movement. Also, the line can wrap around the swivel completely defeating its purpose. This happened all the time when I used VMC drop shot hooks. Thirdly, those gamakatsu drop shot hooks are expensive. The stand out hook is OK, but there is too much hook and you cannot texas rig. I now use Roboworm rebarb exclusively because you can texas rig them and they are an extremely sharp, fine wire hook.
I found this out today. Actually had to cut off the hook after the third fish. Line was really twisted around the "swivel". Haha. Retied. Then broke the hook and a REALLY good fish next drop. Lol. I now really don't like the hooks. Going back to regular mosquitos and a palomar with a long tag.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11115333 09/20/15 06:23 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Yes, agreed, the Gamakatsu hook sort of wrapped up with the line down to the sinker, or vice versa, twice on me over about 6 or 7 hours of fishing. Both of mine were easily restored with no real problems, no reties.

On the other hand, I was getting at least several of those little rod tip line wraps from my fluorocarbon leader getting twisted under the traditional drop shot rig. I think the issue here is when I spooled up my braid recently, I thought I had put enough on for all but a 6' or so fluorocarbon leader. Then, I thought I should have spooled on more braid so I actually have a length of fluorocarbon that is a bit longer than a medium cast. A long length of fluorocarbon can really get twisted.

Here, I think all I need to do is re-spool a full load of braid, then go back to using short, off-the-reel leaders and a lot of that twisting will be gone if I use a traditional drop shot hook again.

And, clipping off the leader after each time out and retying fresh fluorocarbon is probably a good idea, too.

Hmm? Not sure about the speed of drop issue and how it might have affected my results. One could use a mono leader to offset that somewhat. And, sometimes fish like it fast, other times slow.

The big deal? For me, it is only needing one knot, then that very cool ability to use a lighter line below the hook to the sinker to pull free of snags and save hooks.

Brad

Re: Results from a Gamakatsu Swivel Shot hook (drop shot) [Re: Brad R] #11116646 09/21/15 12:42 AM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Lmao @ folks worrying about speed of drop of a hook with a built in swivel....you can control that, even though it is a non-issue, with the actual weight you use.

Lake Fork Mafia
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide