Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Patience #11104047 09/15/15 02:18 AM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I think back to my earliest days of fishing with my father or grandfather and one of the best lessons I learned from each of them was patience.

But as I graduated from sitting on the bank of a farm pond watching a bobber or the tight lines of rods baited for catfish to chasing bass in a boat, my learned skill of patience took a back seat to if they are not biting here it was time to fire up the big motor and move to another spot where hopefully they were biting. And in that faster paced quest for ole bucket mouth where the grass is always greener over there I lost some of the enjoyment of the here and now.

I think it took my joining the carp fisherman from this forum to bring me back to my roots of exercising patience because as those of you who have targeted carp, they are often a fish that requires a great deal of patience.

I know some fish require more pursuit than others, but even for those species of fish, I believe patience will pay off more often than not.

So how much emphasis on patience do you place when fishing ?

Re: Patience [Re: Mike Ryan] #11104620 09/15/15 01:45 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Unfortunately I have 2 kids in college so I don't have that bass boat with the big motor yet, LOL!!! I kayak fish, wade fish and bank fish. About 90 percent of the time I fish with a fly rod, as well. This somewhat dictates that I must be patient in order to be successful. I am extremely patient and try to cover an area thoroughly before I move on.

Re: Patience [Re: Mike Ryan] #11105026 09/15/15 04:25 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J-Moe,
What a great response. In many ways I am back to where I started. I long ago sold my last boat so I am a bank fishermen. As you pointed out so well, when mobility is limited I have found I tend to fish the areas I have access to a little more diligently than when I had a boat.
But as I watch boat anglers in particular those who seem to be targeting bass, I have noticed a gunslinger type approach that seems to be more and more common. They will pull into an area that has lots of potential throw lures at their target and be in a always moving along pattern.
If they do not have any success on the first pass, they more than not will fire up the big motor and go to the next greener pasture.

I know sometimes it pays to keep moving if you have that option. And some species of fish are on the move often and to be successful you have to locate them. But I see this happen when the fish that are being targeted are there, they just did not take the first offering the fisherman gave them.
And I see a lack of patience with some bank fisherman too. You can watch crappie fisherman in the barges get frustrated and move from spot to spot, often as close to the last crappie that was caught as possible...lol

Patience is something I think is missing from some fisherman's arsenal. They can have all the right equipment and lack that one important quality that can often pay dividends ten fold if used properly.

Re: Patience [Re: Mike Ryan] #11105390 09/15/15 07:36 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
It seems that we as modern Americans have lost the ability to wait for much of anything. Money and information can greatly shorten the waiting period for many things but can detract from the value of those things that truly are worth waiting for.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Patience [Re: Mike Ryan] #11105428 09/15/15 07:51 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
We live in a world of instant feedback. We have become conditioned to get the results right away.
THis I believe comes from the computer world we live in, and it gets faster every day.
Having patience is what we do between click and click.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide