Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Fayette 09/12/15 #11100334 09/13/15 06:16 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Slowest day of the year there. Caught 1 shorty in the morning with a dookie rig, threw C-Rigs, T-Rigs, senkos, drop shot, other finesse rigs, squarebills, topwater, spinnerbaits, fished around a lot of the timber, along the dam, it was like the lake was empty. We left the lake yesterday evening scratching our heads. I knew the front would put them off, but we fished for 11 hours with 2 legitimate bites and boated one.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11102338 09/14/15 10:02 AM
B
Bass Junkie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Sounds like a rough day. What I have noticed is that the shallow fish are spooked with the tilapia throw casters during the day and the bow fishers at night. I have seen them fish most of the shoreline while they are out there.

Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11102466 09/14/15 01:01 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
At Fayette, I normally avoid the shoreline anyway in favor of deeper water with cover. I've spent days beating the banks there, but except for along the dam, it seems to be extremely shallow for a good ways away from the bank. I have much more luck amongst the trees in water 8 ft. plus there with squarebills and soft plastics. On Saturday though, there was a point of desperation where my buddy and I did try working the bank. I even threw a frog over the mossy weeds along some of the shallows. Few boats on the water, steady low breeze, much cooler temps - both air and water - but also post-frontal pressure and bright bluebird sky conditions all day.
I'm dying to know how other anglers did this weekend, and more importantly, how they dealt with fishing after the front.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11102800 09/14/15 04:03 PM
B
basspro99 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
My buddy had a tough day on fayette Saturday as well. We went to Bastrop and caught a lot of fish Saturday sight fishing. Very strange for this time of the year but it was fantastic. I thought it was springtime all over again.

Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11103301 09/14/15 08:19 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I caught 10 out there on Saturday evening 4pm-dark. Most of my fish came on 6XD's on offshore points or flats 16-18 feet of water. Key was finding bait balls. I couldn't catch anything out of the trees, but to be fair I only tried for maybe a half hour. I also caught a couple in deeper water by the discharge, surface temp there was 110. Hottest I've ever caught a bass in. My wife caught this toad.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Jpurdue] #11105140 09/15/15 05:39 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I caught 10 out there on Saturday evening 4pm-dark. Most of my fish came on 6XD's on offshore points or flats 16-18 feet of water. Key was finding bait balls. I couldn't catch anything out of the trees, but to be fair I only tried for maybe a half hour. I also caught a couple in deeper water by the discharge, surface temp there was 110. Hottest I've ever caught a bass in. My wife caught this toad.

Nice!
Thanks very much for the tip. I kept looking out at the open water wondering if they were schooling out there. I really need to get more confidence in using my electronics to locate fish.

Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11106874 09/16/15 01:00 PM
T
txmark1959 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
good job!!

Mark Cooper
Onalaska Texas
Re: Fayette 09/12/15 [Re: Garvin] #11107077 09/16/15 02:26 PM
Garvin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
From posts I've read from successful fishing trips this weekend and some research, this is the hard lesson I've learned since the weekend:

Cold front or not, bass will go deep or find shady cover and stick close to it on bright, sunny days. They don't have pupils that dilate, so the sun looks like a 600 lumen Streamlight blasted right in their eyes. Since my fishing partner and I couldn't get a bite around the trees, we should have figured that they had all moved off to the deeper sections of the lake to avoid the sunlight.

There are two kinds of bites you can elicit from bass. The first is a FEEDING bite. When bass are hungry and actively feeding, you can entice them to strike by putting something in their face that looks like it might be food. A good example of this is a worm or Senko falling or being worked slowly on the bottom. They'll snag it up because hey, easy meal dude. HOWEVER... After a cold front, they don't feel much like feeding for a few days because the sudden change in atmospheric pressure does something to their normally ravenous appetite. You can probably drag a Carolina rig right across a bass's nose and they probably won't do anything about it. But that doesn't mean they won't move around, which brings us to the second kind of bite, which is a REACTION bite. A reaction bite is similar to when someone walks up and wags a finger in front of your face and you instinctively swat it away or grab their arm and break it in half, then beat them with the stump... if that's how you roll. Bass apparently behave kind of the same way. When a really fast, erratic moving bait goes right by them, they will attack it out of pure instinct before they have a chance to think about it and decide they're not hungry. That's why Mr. Jpurdue with the crankbaits had success and we didn't. We were trying to feed them and he was trying to *tick* them off. We should have put away the soft baits and worked around the dam and open water points with deep divers that go down 10-20 feet, cranking fast and covering a lot of water.

Live and learn. I told my fishing buddy if we fish again right after a front and I try to thread a Senko on a weightless Texas rig, please slap it out of my hand then hand me my crankbait rod and a Strike King 6XD.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide