Forums59
Topics1,038,955
Posts13,956,365
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? #11074022 08/31/15 04:15 AM
C
Crud Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
I recently moved toward the Keller area around North Tarrant Parkway and not too familiar with the area. Does anyone know of any good ponds nearby to fish for bass!?

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11078904 09/02/15 06:00 PM
R
RussPrater "Bass Commander" Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Capp Smith park has bass. North east of 377 and Hightower in watauga. Also, check out that pond behind el Passover on Keller parkway and rufe snow. Not sure about it but it looks good

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11082513 09/04/15 03:35 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Capp Smith is good, like Russ said. Keller city hall has a nice lake and there is a smaller lake on the green belt north of it. You can walk the green belt under the road to access it. I've done better up there than the main lake, but both are decent.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11084048 09/04/15 10:41 PM
C
Crud Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Awesome! Thank you! Very helpful information!

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11097112 09/11/15 07:40 PM
S
Sean Dunaway Fishing Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Try Bob Jones Nature Center, in Southlake. Huge channel cats, carp, and massive bass.

Edit: Bear Creek is in Keller I believe and it is a great place to try topwater in the morning. It's next to Keller city hall/town square.

Last edited by Sean Dunaway Fishing; 09/11/15 07:41 PM.

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Sean Dunaway Fishing] #11100751 09/13/15 09:46 PM
B
booglerz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I've just started fishing in Keller near north tarrant and have only tried a HOA pond near my house and keller town hall pond. Keller Town Hall Pond has not been kind to me. I've only caught a few bass and get skunked quite often. However I have seen people do pretty well (e.g., catch 1-2 bass before calling it a day) and I fly fish (the layout of the main pond is not very fly fishing friendly). I have not tried the smaller pond north of the main pond and will have to give that a go.

Originally Posted By: Sean Dunaway Fishing
Try Bob Jones Nature Center, in Southlake. Huge channel cats, carp, and massive bass.

Edit: Bear Creek is in Keller I believe and it is a great place to try topwater in the morning. It's next to Keller city hall/town square.

I was trying to google maps BJNC and it aimed me near grapevine lake but I wasn't sure that was the area you mentioned ( Is this it? I'm up for some massive bass!)

By Bear Creek, do you mean the kind of zig-zag pond in Bear Creek Park , or is Bear Creek just another name for Keller Town Hall Pond? I stopped by Bear Creek Park today and fished the lil zig-zag pond and caught a ~2 lb bass @ 4pm (best of the day) so it was not bad (probably much better in the morning/evening), just wanted to double check before I spend too much time there!

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: booglerz] #11102687 09/14/15 03:08 PM
S
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Yes, That is Bob Jones Nature Center. It features some soccer fields so don't be driven off if you pull up and think that you've come to the wrong place. You should pull into one of the main parking lots and make your way towards the pavilion areas which is a sort of pier with water underneath it. There are indeed massive bass. If needed, I can find the stocking records for you.

I believe that the Keller Town Hall Pond is sometimes called Bear Creek Pond, but I don't know why. My dad and I wanted to go to fish the actual Bear Creek Park one time because it is a nice canal for catfish and bass. The google maps ended up taking us to Keller town hall so we just fished there. I tried crankbaits and spinners and couldn't get a bass to bite. Maybe I'll try top water next time, since it worked when I went solo one morning.

TLDR: Bear Creek Park is the zig-zag pond. Bob Jones Nature Center is near Grapevine Lake.

I live in Southlake and I also sometimes go to Bicentennial park to fish for catfish, give it a shot! smile

Tight lines

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #11102819 09/14/15 04:09 PM
B
booglerz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"
Capp Smith park has bass.

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Capp Smith is good, like Russ said.

After I read this I ran over to Capp Smith Park (lived 8 mins from it for a while now and didn't know it was there), that pond is massive with what appears to be very little structure, where do you guys recommend fishing in this pond? I only fished for ~1 hr at dusk but didn't get any strikes worth mentioning. I was just tossing a clouser minnow so maybe top water or something else would work better, but I was just unsure where to even begin to fish at in that big pond.

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11105203 09/15/15 06:03 PM
J
jpalmer79 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Bob Jones is (was) my go-to for lunch break fishing...

But they had a devastating Golden Algae bloom in June, destroyed the fishery. Classic tea-brown water and thousands of baitfish and virtually all of the bass and catfish died.

They have since drained the lake and were working on refilling it (mid-August was the last I went and the pond was a staggering 5-ft below "normal".

I hope they are able to restock and recover because it was truly one of my favorite places to go.

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: jpalmer79] #11109877 09/17/15 07:14 PM
S
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
That's a shame to hear. Last time I went was December 2014. I caught several of the trout they stock annually and brought them home to eat. I really hope that they restock the pond with decent fish...

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: booglerz] #11111750 09/18/15 04:39 PM
M
MrBulletChaser Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
I also live in the Keller area near Davis and North Tarrant. I've tried a couple of places so far.

I fished Keller Town Hall pond and only pulled out a 1 pounder, that was my only bite that day.

Today I fished Ninnie Baird Park, didn't get one bite or strike. I read online that TPWD stocked it with bass, but I don't think there are any.

I also fished Bear Creek Park recently, but also had no luck. What lure and technique were you using when you caught your bass there?

Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: MrBulletChaser] #11112002 09/18/15 06:38 PM
B
booglerz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I only fly fish so I was using a chartreuse clouser minnow with a semi-slow retrieve (pausing a bit) at bear creek. I went back and threw a popper a few days ago and didn't get anything (but I went ~8am so it might have been a bit late for that).

I have had next to zero luck at keller town hall. I just tried the north pond (its much much smaller) and still only had a few strikes with no landed fish (however the strike was hard and I saw the side of the fish, it was not bad).

I live within walking distance of Ninnie Baird and frequent it often (if you see a fly fisherman its me, and feel free to chat me up I wouldn't mind some local fisherman to chill and fish with). From my experiences there its mostly catfish. I double checked what you said about TPWD stocking it with bass and you are right according to their website. I have caught ~ 6 bass there over the entire summer, 1 ~1.5 lber (clouser minnow) and the rest dinks (various flys I toss for pan fish, pheasant tail, san juan worm, small clouser). I have caught many cat fish on the clouser as well (in the 3-5 lb range). Ninnie Baird gets a lot of pressure, there are always people there and most people tend to catch-and-take instead of putting them back, plus there are tons of kids that fish there and god knows what they do with the fish (I've seen some use the overspill as a 'live well' and had to take a 3lb catfish out of there and put him back in the pond)).

I have much more success in places much further away, went to bethany ponds for the first time last week and caught a billion dinks on a popper (if you can't land the big ones land a bunch of small ;D). But I would love to find a place that is worth while near by. I tried Cobb Smith and maybe its worth it but its a massive pond and I didnt get a strike outside of a pan fish on my clouser.

Quick Edit: If anyone knows of better spots than these, please help us out, those in this thread that live in keller have it rough.

Last edited by booglerz; 09/18/15 07:17 PM.
Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: booglerz] #11112294 09/18/15 09:42 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: booglerz

After I read this I ran over to Capp Smith Park (lived 8 mins from it for a while now and didn't know it was there), that pond is massive with what appears to be very little structure, where do you guys recommend fishing in this pond? I only fished for ~1 hr at dusk but didn't get any strikes worth mentioning. I was just tossing a clouser minnow so maybe top water or something else would work better, but I was just unsure where to even begin to fish at in that big pond.

Try fishing in the creek end by Starnes Road. There is a small parking area.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Smithaven] #11112536 09/19/15 12:36 AM
B
booglerz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Try fishing in the creek end by Starnes Road. There is a small parking area.

I will, I saw that area and just assumed it wouldnt have fish it since the big pond is right there next to it, but I saw some fish hit the surface when I was heading back to my car after fishing the big pond, I'll report back, thanks.

Last edited by booglerz; 09/19/15 12:37 AM.
Re: Anybody know any good bank fishing for bass around the Keller area? [Re: Crud] #11125933 09/25/15 01:34 AM
C
cope102 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I grew up in Keller and been in the general area all my life and never heard of Ninnie baird.. Were is it located? heck it may be a place ive fished just didnt know the name of it.. for you Keller guys there are tons of ponds in Keller and have been there for years... look at google maps and just go check out the ponds in the area.. As far as Bear Creek park actually in the park Ive heard tons of stories about people pulling lunkers out of that little park lol... I've fished it for about 35-40 years now and Never seen anything huge come out of it... Ive caught and released a few 2-3 lbers but thats it for bass. Cats i dont know myself I only bass fish... there are snakes running that park be safe! Town hall Iver caught a couple 2 lbs and one 3.7 lb early early morning right as the sun broke.. As far as Capp Smitth lots of grass and weeds ive caught on spinner baits and texas rigs there myself..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide