11261393 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11096531 - 09/11/15 10:23 AM Question for tournament guys
Fish Killer Online   happy
Big Sexy

Loc: Weatherford
If you catch a fish, whether its deep hooked or tongue hooked, and you know it’s not going to make it do you release it right then or keep monitoring it in the well till it’s close to dying or you can cull it?

I know If I have a fish that is going to die no matter what, I will release it unless its big enough to make up for the penalty. Same goes for culling fish, as long as the fish is moving a fin and breathing and I can cull I will. I know it sucks releasing a floater, but if its still alive and shows any motion its open to be culled in my opinion

Does anyone actually keep a fish that is still alive but you know it won’t make it?
Culling
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 09/11/15 10:23 AM
View the results of this poll.

#11096547 - 09/11/15 10:29 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Sanger, Tx/ Chatham, La
Can't vote any of those options, to many other things would go into that decision for me personally. I have done all 3 before, but size of fish, time of day, weather conditions, lake, how prefishing was, and other variables go into that decision for me.

https://www.inseinefishing.com field staff

#11096559 - 09/11/15 10:34 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad]
Big Sexy

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Can't vote any of those options, to many other things would go into that decision for me personally. I have done all 3 before, but size of fish, time of day, weather conditions, lake, how prefishing was, and other variables go into that decision for me.

All valid points, and they do come into my own considerations as well typically.

#11096561 - 09/11/15 10:34 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
pil,b Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: abilene,texas
Keep it, that's what peanut oil is for. fish

#11096579 - 09/11/15 10:40 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
Bass&More Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Ft WorthTexas
Yes, I keep it, weigh it and consume food it. Recycle the resource. peep

#11096581 - 09/11/15 10:41 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
bigcat85 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: dallas, tx
i had a situation simular this year. my second smallest fish was struggling so when i caught #6 i culled the struggling fish instead of my smallest. the penalty was greater than the difference. but i ended up culling a few more times anyway.

#11096636 - 09/11/15 10:59 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
9094 Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Albany
If deep hooked fish are handled properly they will usually live. Most important thing is to not jack with it or tug on it cut the line and get it back in the water or live well. I have weighed a lot of fish with a gut hook in them.
After the event it is pretty easy to get the hook out if you know the process.

#11096643 - 09/11/15 11:00 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
Andrew Y'Barbo Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lufkin Texas
Depends on the fish size. It's all a gamble tournament fishing. When small fish die, they lock you into weighing them.

#11096646 - 09/11/15 11:02 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity

If I can cull it before it dies, I will... even if I know that it will inevitably die later.

#11096647 - 09/11/15 11:03 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: 9094]
Big Sexy

Originally Posted By: 9094
If deep hooked fish are handled properly they will usually live. Most important thing is to not jack with it or tug on it cut the line and get it back in the water or live well. I have weighed a lot of fish with a gut hook in them.

X2!!!

One thing I will not put in my life well, unless its defiantly going to be part of the stringer and will make up for the deduction, is a tongue hooked fish

Those fish will die on you in an instant, with no signs of getting sick.

#11096667 - 09/11/15 11:11 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Frisco, TX
It really depends on the size of the fish. If it's barely a keeper and its bleeding out everywhere then its going back right away unless its our 5th keeper. Otherwise, we typically decide based on size and just how bad of shape the fish is in. I've seen a lot of fish that looked done for when caught that when put in a live well with some Sure Life and constant aeration and maybe a flip clip that turn out to be just fine. That being said, if a fish looks like its definitely going belly up but is still alive and the penalty would eat up most of its weight then it goes back as long as its within the rules.

#11096713 - 09/11/15 11:24 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Pot stirrer

Loc: Forney TX
Turtle fodder if I can cull it before it expires.

#11096774 - 09/11/15 11:45 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
B.Hollingshead Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: ft.worth
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

X2!!!

One thing I will not put in my life well, unless its defiantly going to be part of the stringer and will make up for the deduction, is a tongue hooked fish

That's what rejuvinade is for if you put it on the tongue immediately it will stop and 95% of them will live.

29-DD's and counting

#11096790 - 09/11/15 11:51 AM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: B.Hollingshead]
Big Sexy

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

X2!!!

That's what rejuvinade is for if you put it on the tongue immediately it will stop and 95% of them will live.

Gotta disagree with that one. Most of the time tongue hooked fish don't even bleed, they just die.

Me personally am not a fan of Rejuvinade, I prefer SureLife products.. But that a whole different topic.

#11096855 - 09/11/15 12:16 PM Re: Question for tournament guys [Re: Fish Killer]
B.Hollingshead Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: ft.worth
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

X2!!!

Gotta disagree with that one. Most of the time tongue hooked fish don't even bleed, they just die.

Me personally am not a fan of Rejuvinade, I prefer SureLife products.. But that a whole different topic.
If the fish died and didn't bleed out then he probably died due to stress that's why 90% of them die is bleeding out and not handled correctly.

29-DD's and counting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide