Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish #11095811 09/11/15 03:20 AM
D
District Paddle Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Hello all.

I don't normally post in this section, as I am primarily a kayak bass angler. However, I recently spent some time targeting Sunfish as a change of pace, and thought I would share an article that I published over on the Bass Pro Shops blog.

I am posting the article here in full for convenience, but you can view the actual post over on the Bass Pro Shops blog by clicking here.

Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak

The recent birth of my son changed everything. Local lake temperatures were placed in the not important category, while milk and bathwater temperatures were given immediate concern. Seemingly, as an outdoorsman, I have come full circle. Once again, the fundamentals of angling are relevant in my life, and a renewed interest in simplicity has permeated and influenced my process. With every passing day, our first fishing trip together inches closer while my desire to be prepared grows.

A few weeks ago, I set out to rediscover one of my old childhood fishing holes. I grew up fishing a small creek next to my Grandmothers house (among other places) with worms and small bugs, hoping to catch a few Sunfish. This time, however, I would be targeting these colorful delicacies with a more evolved gear selection: a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Kayak and a micro dropshot rig.

The dropshot technique is nothing new to me. In fact, I keep it ready on any given trip. As a Largemouth angler, I typically use hooks and baits that are sized out of the Sunfish range. However, by downsizing everything as much as possible, this finesse Bass staple can be an extremely effective technique for targeting Bluegill, Redear, and their various Sunfish family members.

The VMC Spinshot Hook is a regular player in my dropshot game. The built-in swivels not only allow the hook to move freely, imparting optimal bait action, but they also help alleviate line tangle and other pesky line anomalies. For this particular trip, I opted for a size 8 hook, 6 pound XPS Fluorocarbon, and the XPS Finesse Dropshot Weight.

Sport anglers, typically, do not associate live worms with the dropshot technique. Contrary to popular belief, I have found the combination to be quite effective when targeting Sunfish. I must admit, it felt good to get some worm dirt under my finger nails (it had probably been 20 years since I had even thought about buying a can of live worms).

Soft plastic baits have their place in this equation, too. I really like the Mister Twister Micro Craws, and it doesnt hurt that each of these bags are filled with a hefty number of baits. You get a very real bang for your buck with these options, and they come, most importantly, without the mess of live worms.

What makes the dropshot technique so effective? The dropshot allows you to keep your bait in one spot. That is to say, you can impart a great deal of action without moving the bait back towards you. A common misconception regarding the technique: people often think that the dropshot is a vertical tactic. Of course, it can be, but you can cast the rig as well. In fact, I am using the dropshot in a horizontal fashion almost exclusively.

This experiment proved to be an enjoyable and refreshing experience. I left all of my fancy bass gear at home and launched with a micro spinning rig alone. The simplicity, ease, and heavy fishing action quickly reminded me why Sunfish are so popular among the adolescent ranks. Exploring these old waters from the seat of my kayak allowed me to see this special place in a whole new light, and many sections of the creek that were previously inaccessible were now easily negotiated.

About the author: Dean Brown is a Bass Pro Shops Pro Staffer and freelance outdoor writer. His personal website, Up Down Bass, has been nominated for several awards and featured in a variety of outdoor publications. You can easily navigate to his website by clicking here.

Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11095861 09/11/15 03:48 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post with some good information. Thanks for sharing. cheers

Side Note: I have targeted Sunfish for years and have always used the standard hook at the end of the line with a shot about six to eight inches above the hook. I have friends who I fish with on a regular basis who use nothing but the drop shot with great results. No matter what method you use sunfish fishing is a very simple and relaxing way to spend time in the great outdoors. Nothing beats catching sunfish on an ultra light rig. Again awesome post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11096134 09/11/15 12:44 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Very enjoyable read thumb

Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11096163 09/11/15 01:00 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Enjoyed the post! cheers

Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11096476 09/11/15 03:07 PM
W
WCGunns Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
W
Thank you for the article. My kids love to fish and it's a blast for me to see them loving the hobby that has been a big part of my life. The new UL gear is also a lot of funny. Way better than the old Zebco 33 that I grew up on. My next investment is a 2or3wt fly rod.

Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11097028 09/11/15 06:50 PM
E
etexbasser Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Sunfish ain't just for kids, eventhough my grandkids love it. Very good article, thanks for sharing with us.

Don Chumley
If I ain't fishing, I ain't happy.
But mostly I'm happy.
I love being retired, the check is in the mail.
Mt. 6:33
Re: Micro Dropshot Techniques From The Kayak - Sunfish [Re: District Paddle] #11107778 09/16/15 07:56 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide